Cubase 9 Pro (Windows 10) PLE Problem

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm rendering a whole project with things I actually did, as I really want to know what's real here.

Sorry, nothing very predictable here. There is always some difference starting a 128th note apart but it has yet to match the expectation in terms of samples. I did find a noticeable difference in 4 different renders, so a 128th note is probably not meaningless.

I seem to have demonstrated to myself that a 128th note is not nothing to Cubase, in_fact. At this tempo anyway.
If I render what I do from the same point I'm going to tend to have variance.

I don't think truly sample-accurate MIDI is going to be very true. I think MIDI is too much a crapshoot.

If resolution is 480 tick each quarternote - 128th is 32 times shorter meaning 480/32=15 ticks, so it should stick in any daw.

If 960 resolution 30 ticks for each 128th.

I will check at some point to render some notes with different positions where 480 or 960 real handling resolution would be revealed. How many ticks apart on midi events to actually show a different position in audio.
As my PLE seems to work is 480 to look at how RoundBy behaves.

But external midi gear is really out there on timing part. To render my Yamaha piano I put -15ms on the midi track to render so audio lines up with grid. And every midi gear is different, you have to test each unit.

EDIT: So I tested and rendering in Cubase seems to take every tick into account as you set in preferenses. I have 960 set on 48k project - and get about 25 samples difference on every tick.

I set 16 notes, C3, on quarternote boundaries- then edited each one to be one extra tick from quarternote grid. 0,1,2,3 off like that.

Then rendered in place. I also adjusted to responsetime for first half period in audio from DimensionPro and a grand piano. But you get the same result calculating relative values compared to previous notes offset in samples from grid.

So mystery now is how PLE positions according to RoundBy - which seems to be on 480 PPQ. AT least according to my tests, if I did something wrong possibly.

Is that by design or a bug?

At least good to know that Cubase rendered nicely to my choice of resolution.

Musical Mode was the problem for me! I had changed the ruler from Bars to Time, but I had Timebase hidden in Track View Settings and never even considered it.

Thanks so much for the help and the illuminating discussion... But as a wise man once said, "it's too much math for me." :wink:

Cheers, -Mike.
-Mike.

great news! glad you got it. Discussions like this make all the other trash around forums tolerable. It's nice to deep dive odd ball capabilities from time to time. Even though I still don't think I completely know what is being rounded, it was a good exercise in using the PLE. It's such an awesome tool.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”