What music player (software) do you use?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Of course, in the UK, my CDs' licences all forbid my ripping them so, of course, I've not done anything like that at all... and it would have been at a time when disks were so expensive I'd had to rip to crappy quality MP3 :(. Now I try only to buy from BandCamp and use only FLAC, of course.

legendCNCD wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Numanoid wrote: On the computer I usually search up a track on youtube if I want to listen to it.
Same here. :tu:
But.. but your ears!! Cant they hear the shitty compression and transient smearing and all that. I have reverted back to local machine+winamp first, then if not found, youtube and ears weep... :)
The commercial breaks are worse, but luckily ad blocker can take care of those.

Youtube is adequate for listening on the go, meaning I listen to it while doing something else on the computer.

Just saw in latest CM, that 10 years ago one of their main stories in the July 2007 issue was "the future of youtube?"

At the time a pertinent point: How did youtube manage to survive, while napster got taken down?
Last edited by Numanoid on Sun May 14, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pljones wrote:Of course, in the UK, my CDs' licences all forbid my ripping them so, of course, I've not done anything like that at all...

Do they? Oh well, too late now ;)

The Dos and Dont's of CD copying and ripping?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-copy-an ... ds-2438418

Digital Music Files: You can transfer digital music files to your own personal MP3 player providing those files have been ripped directly from a CD that you legitimately own.​

Numanoid wrote:The Dos and Dont's of CD copying and ripping?

Digital Music Files: You can transfer digital music files to your own personal MP3 player providing those files have been ripped directly from a CD that you legitimately own.​
Thought so, iTunes asks me if I want to rip something as soon as I insert a CD.

I do not store receipts of purchases of CDs, so only proof I have for my digital music files is to provide the original CD. Hope that is enough?

I use iTunes because it comes with the Mac and because I can share the library between various devices. My music is on my Macbook, so when I want to listen something while I'm in the studio I can access my laptop through the local network and stream (it doesn't happen often). iTunes is good enough when listening through the Macbook speaker while surfing the web, I don't need a high quality player (I know there are better players, though!).

I'm thinking about buying a big hard drive (1-2TB) and rip all my cds to a lossless format. Untill now I ripped a big number of them to mp3 just for convenience (to use them on portable players and to save hdd space), but I need to make proper backups... I already buy my digital files in lossless format, so I then all my music files would be in lossless format, regardless of the source.
I'm just scared of the time required for ripping them all (I don't have a very big collection, but I think I have around 3-400 CDs at least, and a good number of them have more than one disc).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

aMUSEd wrote:
Numanoid wrote:The Dos and Dont's of CD copying and ripping?

Thought so, iTunes asks me if I want to rip something as soon as I insert a CD.
Indeed, although iTunes is American and it looks like the responses are largely referring pljones post where they mention they are in the UK where it is currently illegal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... ns-new-law

Also foobar2000 with a VST loader to mod the music.

Googly Smythe wrote:Still using the Windows Media Player. :shrug:
... But this is because I rarely, rarely actually listen to music when I am at my pc. All my serious listening takes place in the living room - either cd/dvd or with my phone plugged in to the amp.
When I want most of an album I always buy the cd. I only buy digital when I only want a track or 2,or if the album is not available on cd.
Even when I buy mp3 et al, I usually burn them to cd.
Call me old fashioned - at least I don't go all gooey when the subject of vinyl pops up. :D

On Windows, i used Winamp (i hate WMP). I didn't listen to much music on the PC (mostly tracker modules). When i was a BeOS user, my MP3 collection started growing. i loved the way the database-like filesystem was all that was needed to manage an MP3 collection (playlists and attribute editing was right there in the file system browser). I used CL-Amp to play MP3, WAV, MOD, XM, etc on BeOS (with the same WinAmp skin i used on Windows). I carried some MP3s on my Tapwave Zodiac, but it only had 2GB of SD card storage.

After Be and Palm both died out, i switched to iPhone & Mac. i moved my MP3 collection to iTunes and converted some CDs (about ¼ of my CD collection and lots of music from artists who published freely on the internet). I mostly play from my iPhone 4 (now just an iPod touch at this point) and from CDs in a Sony Discman, rather than from a computer, but i sometimes access shared iTunes libraries off my wireless network.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I got used to iTunes being on a Mac a dozen or so years back so I continued for a while with it on PC. But, it's huge and installation, etc. is a major pain not to mention all the extra crap it forces on you.
I looked for quite a long time for a replacement that gave me the same feel and so on with a much smaller footprint. There are many that fit that general description but most were lacking in some way or another until I discovered MusicBee in around about 2012 or so. I've been faithful to it ever since.
VLC is just my movie monster.
Since I became somewhat semi-addicted to iTunes' ready-to-go, big list of internet radio stations (and I still cannot quite grasp how to set up lists of such w/ MusicBee) I also separately run the tiny and awesome RadioSure for that.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

MusicBee set to use the ASIO driver for my PreSonus Firepod.

All music is ripped from CD to FLAC, or if purchased from iTunes, highest possible bitrate AAC.

Seriously, if you must go lossy, go AAC.

Still iTunes for me. It's still, after all these years, the only media player that does gapless playback faultlessly, every time.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

iTunes, with an Apple Music subscription.

Works well, the only issue is that sometimes the cover art of albums uploaded to the cloud gets mixed up - including cover art from albums purchased in iTunes... :roll:

I agree with the post above regarding AAC. Do a double blind test between FLAC or .wav and 256k AAC - the only way to determine how big or small the difference actually is.

There are several apps for double blind tests, you can also use AUlab (free download from Apple).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”