Acustica Audio still does not allow license transfers and violates European laws

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Armagibbon wrote:
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Simplest thing is to tie licenses to accounts and re-installing and updating prompts re-activation. Licenses live in the account and big daddy dev can decide whenever he wants to kill it. Like if the license was bought by some thieving shithead who sells it off to a patsy? That patsy now won't have a functioning license in their account because daddy was a responsible businessman who kept track of what licenses he sold and to whom so he can use a kill switch on that bad boy when shit hits the fan.

You don't even have to skirt the law to do it! Wowee what a bargain!

Even if licence transfers are legally enforced, iirc trading stolen goods is illegal everywhere in the same way. You surrender that shit and you're not entitled to compensation just because you paid for it. No stolen license for you! Gotta get your money back from the jackoff that stole it right?
Your suggestion is exactly the actual situation. Licenses are tied to accounts, in the way you describe.
Hey if that's how it is, then I don't get why transfers aren't possible. I was reading the thread and picked up that you wouldn't allow license transfers because someone could use bogus info to buy it and sell it off cheap. Like you couldn't do anything about it after the fact? But if it works like you say, that stops it dead.

I mean you know what licenses are the bad ones and you can just invalidate em. Some limp wristed douchenozzle steals paypal info and grabs a license? Boom. Turn it off and the guy who installs it misses out on all the updates and can never re-install without buying it legit. I dunno what the problem is...
Problem was that the damaged guys were new customers. We tried to help.
We suspended the license transfer till the release of the new website because we didn't know about the law, but possibly it was because it was 2015, and the law problem was raised just recently, and in eu only. No problem to fix it. Like I said, we could fix it simply disabling license transfers in a legal way, but it was never in our mind to block them.

Having reread this thread I'm seeing a developer looking for solutions and keeping his cool while on the receiving end of verbal abuse. Makes me like his company even more.

Fleer wrote:Having reread this thread I'm seeing a developer looking for solutions and keeping his cool while on the receiving end of verbal abuse. Makes me like his company even more.
In the end, I feel the same.

I am a big fan of Acustica Audio's plugins - especially the Acqua plugins. I have most of them. I spent my money understanding the transfer policy and knowing that I wouldn't always agree with the company's practices.

But I don't see anything wrong with what they and many developers do by restricting transfers. I wish they did not and sometimes I will not buy a product because I think I may transfer it in the future. That all gets factored into the equation of whether I buy the plugin or not. I do this calculation with my big boy pants on.
Sniffing corks hurts my brain

Giancarlo, please move AA to the US. This way I'll save an extra 21% (VAT) in all your products, LOL

AA allows license transfers again.
I think it is a wise and right move by Giancarlo as it ends this unpleasant diatribe.
As you can verify by yourself on the AA forum the conditions are pretty fair and nobody should complain anymore.
Bravo!

Topeznor wrote:Giancarlo, please move AA to the US. This way I'll save an extra 21% (VAT) in all your products, LOL
Many European products are at the moment in sale without the VAT to the European customers, without any need to move the HQ to the USA - via the dealer. Just visit e.g. the Audio deluxe, JRR Shop or Plugin discounts sites.
A good start for the better sales figures for the AA is really SELL his products, via these dealers, as well. :dog:

Topeznor wrote:Giancarlo, please move AA to the US. This way I'll save an extra 21% (VAT) in all your products, LOL
US companies are obligated to follow VAT as well. that's why if you buy, say, from Studio Devil (which are US based), you still pay VAT. now, since this is not possible to actually enforce, shops like JRRShop can sell software without VAT (and thank god for that!!!), but it's technically illegal under EU law, and you're supposed to pay VAT like you would for overseas mail-order items.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:
US companies are obligated to follow VAT as well. that's why if you buy, say, from Studio Devil (which are US based), you still pay VAT. now, since this is not possible to actually enforce, shops like JRRShop can sell software without VAT (and thank god for that!!!), but it's technically illegal under EU law, and you're supposed to pay VAT like you would for overseas mail-order items.
First of all, good luck EU in trying to collect VAT from companies not in the EU - it's a ridiculous policy/law and its appropriate for companies not in the EU to simply ignore this bull crap. Second the document talks about "services" - a license is not a service, its a product. So one can argue the policy doesn't apply to software licenses. And, a good reason NOT to do business with Quaderno.

Capitalist pigs.

plexuss wrote:
Burillo wrote:
First of all, good luck EU in trying to collect VAT from companies not in the EU - it's a ridiculous policy/law and its appropriate for companies not in the EU to simply ignore this bull crap.
No, it isn't. There are trading agreements with the EU, and other trading unions worldwide, and as VAT is a consumption tax, which has to be paid in the country the buying customer is coming from, it's totally understandable that there have to be global payment systems, which take that in account. It's not so difficult anyway, as there are a lot of payment services, which offer the option to discharge consumption tax. And if you think about it, it's good for us all, because the revenues of those taxes make a lot of nice things possible for the citizens.
plexuss wrote: Capitalist pigs.
Err... not quite. :lol:

chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote:
Burillo wrote:
First of all, good luck EU in trying to collect VAT from companies not in the EU - it's a ridiculous policy/law and its appropriate for companies not in the EU to simply ignore this bull crap.
No, it isn't. There are trading agreements with the EU, and other trading unions worldwide, and as VAT is a consumption tax, which has to be paid in the country the buying customer is coming from, it's totally understandable that there have to be global payment systems, which take that in account. It's not so difficult anyway, as there are a lot of payment services, which offer the option to discharge consumption tax. And if you think about it, it's good for us all, because the revenues of those taxes make a lot of nice things possible for the citizens.
plexuss wrote: Capitalist pigs.
Err... not quite. :lol:
The governdudes make all the nice things happen for you... it's sooo great.
Never question anything...just pay up.. work til 75 and f**k-off when your done.
- WonderEcho -

I am grateful for JRRShop, AudioDeluxe, EveryPlugin etc that don't charge VAT to us Europeans. It may me ethically wrong, but I do get annoyed when I have to pay VAT to an American company (yes, who will pay it back to the EU) for an American software product developed by Americans... in America.

I believe in the principal of fair taxation to benefit society as a whole. I'm just not convinced the above scenario is fair taxation. Or maybe I just want to get stuff cheaper :D
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Klinke1 wrote:The governdudes make all the nice things happen for you... it's sooo great.
Never question anything...just pay up.. work til 75 and f**k-off when your done.
lol that's not really what happens in the EU. in the US - yeah that's the case, but you guys voted out your retirement benefits.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

cprompt wrote:I am grateful for JRRShop, AudioDeluxe, EveryPlugin etc that don't charge VAT to us Europeans. It may me ethically wrong, but I do get annoyed when I have to pay VAT to an American company (yes, who will pay it back to the EU) for an American software product developed by Americans... in America.

I believe in the principal of fair taxation to benefit society as a whole. I'm just not convinced the above scenario is fair taxation. Or maybe I just want to get stuff cheaper :D
I agree with you. VAT is an unfortunate result of the EU and should not be imposed on other countries, as long as we have the concept of borders and sovriegn nations. I would simply not buy a product if I had to pay EU VAT, or any taxes that do not apply to me in my locale - no plugin is worth succumbing to this kind of ridiculous cash grab.

Faland wrote:AA allows license transfers again.
I think it is a wise and right move by Giancarlo as it ends this unpleasant diatribe.
As you can verify by yourself on the AA forum the conditions are pretty fair and nobody should complain anymore.
Bravo!
This was the goal why I started the thread

Return to “Effects”