Noise App and Roli Lightpad Block

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I played with the app for a while, I really liked many of the sounds and the way you can play them.
So I ordered a Block, it's gonna arrive tomorrow :-)

One problem that I see coming. I will create some hooklines and/or more complex ideas that I would want to continue in my DAW. Exporting Audio-Loop sucks, not flexible.
So, I wonder if there are plans to release Noise as a "Sound"-Plugin?
And Noise should reqally support AU on iOS.

tele
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

Do you know how to overdub loops?
Instant human just add coffee

Are you playing these apps on an iPad?

Yes.
Instant human just add coffee

BiancaNeve wrote:Do you know how to overdub loops?
I just kept playing, haven't recorded anything.

BUT HELP: The Lighted Block arrived today and the playing SUCKS.
You have to push it so HAAAAARD, it just does not feel right. I wonder if the device is defect. Or is it just that way, and I got to live with it or send it back?

I think I'll get a second unit from another source to compare them.
Any ideas anyone?
There are reports in the web about issues with strike sensitivity, maybe I gotta exchange it, hmmm.

telebunke wrote:
BiancaNeve wrote:Do you know how to overdub loops?
I just kept playing, haven't recorded anything.

BUT HELP: The Lighted Block arrived today and the playing SUCKS.
You have to push it so HAAAAARD, it just does not feel right. I wonder if the device is defect. Or is it just that way, and I got to live with it or send it back?

I think I'll get a second unit from another source to compare them.
Any ideas anyone?
There are reports in the web about issues with strike sensitivity, maybe I gotta exchange it, hmmm.
I've played on lots of Blocks (relates to work) and they universally take a lot of pressure to trigger. After a couple of minutes I had to stop and take a break due to this. Currently I don't believe Roli let you adjust the responsiveness of Blocks, maybe a future update can support this.

For those who are interested, I contacted Roli support. Currently there ist only one mode to change the velocity response, using the Roli Dashboard software with Mac or PC. You can set a fixed velocity for drum mode, which is the 4x4 grid. No options for the scale mode so far.
But they are working on further features, the Dashbard is still a Beta.

For now I compensate with a MIDI Plugin and a fixed value to velocity.

tele

batcat wrote:I've played on lots of Blocks (relates to work) and they universally take a lot of pressure to trigger. After a couple of minutes I had to stop and take a break due to this.
thanks for the info.
Using a MIDI plugin and adding fixed value works quite OK for me.

BiancaNeve wrote:Yes.

Alright thanks, I might try these on mine. :tu:

telebunke wrote:
batcat wrote:I've played on lots of Blocks (relates to work) and they universally take a lot of pressure to trigger. After a couple of minutes I had to stop and take a break due to this.
thanks for the info.
Using a MIDI plugin and adding fixed value works quite OK for me.
What MIDI plugin did you use and how did you configure it?

I tried downloading Midibridge, routing the Lightpad input to the Noise outputs, and setting a constant velocity of 127 on the input and all of the 3 Noise app outputs, but it seems to have no effect. What am I doing wrong?

telebunke wrote: push it so HAAAAARD
telebunke wrote:strike sensitivity
There seems to be talk about two aspect of interacting with the sound here:

Velocity and pressure.

The two are not the same. My question would be, which is it that feels unresponsive, 'velocity' or 'pressure'.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
telebunke wrote: push it so HAAAAARD
telebunke wrote:strike sensitivity
There seems to be talk about two aspect of interacting with the sound here:

Velocity and pressure.

The two are not the same. My question would be, which is it that feels unresponsive, 'velocity' or 'pressure'.
Well, let me try and say it this way:
a) problem with velocity: the initial speed you need to get a sound playing at all is too much for my taste. With my LogicPro I use a MIDI plugin to compensate this. But this has a negative on the dynamic range one can achieve - all in all it's ok for me.
b) pressure (aftertouch): OK, but for me it is impossible to slide to left and right in a "natural" manner at the same time

tele

telebunke wrote: b) pressure (aftertouch): OK, but for me it is impossible to slide to left and right in a "natural" manner at the same time

tele
This is a matter of good technique. Try not to push against the grain, as it were, but pull the finger.
Trigger the sound (note-on) then flatten the finger tip and pull left or right. You don't need much pressure to do it.

It's very important to slide without touching the silicone with your nails. So, position your finger-tip on the silicone so it's more horizontal than vertical. If I get the time I will post a video....
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Cyclomatic wrote: Using a MIDI plugin and adding fixed value works quite OK for me.
What MIDI plugin did you use and how did you configure it?
[/quote]

Well, guess I didn't state that what I did was not on the iPad, but one of the built-in MIDI plug-ins of Logic Pro...

tele

There s a new version of the Noise app.
One can now set the response curve for velocity. Also for the other guestures.
That is Vers cool.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”