Tokyo Dawn Records rereleases OD DeEdger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OD DeEdger

Reefius wrote:This is like saying that listening to music on the radio is illegal if you don't buy the songs that are being played :hihi:
Apples and Oranges. Please learn the difference.

Soundplex wrote:Using the demo plugin and setting it up everytime manually isn't illegal. But it's just a pita and that's where the dev sees his chance: someone who uses it over a long period gets nagged and finally buys the plugin.
But there will still be the other extreme *warning - both sarcasm and an actual comment*- "some users" will give a flying F since "the demo will do just fine..." and will continue using it. Then we're talking "more than greyzone territory".

It's a game of chess - you anticipate a move, but chances are it will never happen...

axembler wrote:
karumba wrote:btw, i really love reapers licensing model since it believes in honesty. and so do i.
btw Reaper = 60$
your plugin = 100$

I noticed here and on other forums that most people would buy it for 50$...adapt...you'll earn much more like this :wink:
Invalid argument IMO. (and "what" other forums are we talking about? Recording.de?)

Reaper is 60USD if you don't have a net income of 20k USD/year (others go even with just 10k USD/year). And even then, this is a very, very generous offer by the developer. In fact, from all developers that offer this price model. I'm surprised that there is at least no "small limitation" built in for the discount users, considering the price jump for the regular "commercial" users.

100USD for a mastering plugin aimed at mastering engineers (!!! - this is important!) - while you can purchase other "mastering EQ's and compressors" *cough - IKM, Waves, etc* for 150USD and way up (plus VAT!) - is a well adjusted price. IMO and all that.

The developer in question can do whatever the hell he wants. Understand that, accept that. He can also do sales or not. There is a simple rule: you don't like it, don't buy it. If it's too expensive for you (now or in the future), look for deals or 2nd hand licenses. But don't tell him what he has to do in order "to please the masses" if in reality it's just to please yourself.

There is also no other leverage for you:
- there is a nearly unlimited demo, not locked away behind a "sign up account"
- there is an available documentation that you can download, again without(!!!) signing up for an account
- the developer is responsive to the users and doesn't push you away since you're "not a paying customer"

This has been rare these days.

So the only point of criticism so far, is the price and the aimed at market.

If you want to pick apart his plugin with documented measurements, etc - since you think that this is all but smoke and mirrors - then we're talking on a different ground. And I'm actually looking forward to such discussions myself. In fact, with every new plugin announcements where it might reek of pure marketing babble.

Everything else is just entitlement mentality. IMHO and all.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Funny thing is that I haven't even tried the plugin yet :D

Reefius wrote:Funny thing is that I haven't even tried the plugin yet :D

Neither have i. It's not on my priority list. :D
Last edited by murnau on Mon May 29, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

karumba wrote:i'm not a big fan 14-days demo version restrictions. i think its ok, but maybe not perfectly user friendly.
Works on me. This encouraged me to try the plugin, even though currently I have no budget or need for it. But, who knows, that may change someday.
Time limited demo is not bad IMO, it's audio dropdowns and random noises, that can be quite irritating.

Easy Compy, I agree, he can set the price to whatever...are you his Dad or something :lol:
Some people think he set the price too high...don't know but I say get their money also, make some intro offer for a few days...that's how it works today...common sense :wink:
Or don't...was just trying to help...similar tools are coming and he will have to put it on sale sooner or later.

Tough days for devs but good for users :party:

murnau wrote:
Reefius wrote:Funny thing is that I haven't even tried the plugin yet :D

Neither have i. It's not on my priority list. :D
Oh! That is outstanding! Which is why you joined the discussion with your valuable input! :clap:

And still you're entitled to force your opinion upon others?
I just wrote it in another thread - that's the internet, what else is new?! :roll:

axembler wrote:Easy Compyfox, I agree, he can set the price to whatever...are you his Dad or something :lol:
I am the so called "userbase" he's marketing at - and I am a TDL, now OD user as well.
In fact, even before Tokyo Dawn Labs in it's current form was formed.

axembler wrote:Some people think he set the price too high...don't know but I say get their money also, make some intro offer for a few days...that's how it works today...common sense :wink:
Or don't...was just trying to help...similar tools are coming and he will have to put it on sale sooner or later.
No he won't. In fact, plenty of developers out there who do not do any sales and still get their tools out to the masses, not to mention survived in the industry for years.

Unless you constantly like to under-sell your plugin creations. And in worse case scenario then drop off the face of the planet, only to resurface weeks later under a new name and/or with a new "Group Buy" scheme only to never deliver what you announced.

I'd still like to know the "other forums"... just out of pure curiosity.

axembler wrote:Tough days for devs but good for users :party:
Tough days for users as well, since the market is overflowing with tools and a lot of them being plain shovel-ware sold for 10x it's actual value.
Last edited by Compyfox on Mon May 29, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Tell you what: I wouldn't buy this particular plugin even it would be 50€ simply because i don't need it that much. It's overwhelming how many awesome plugins you can get nowdays for less.

The times where the price reflect the quality of a plugin are long gone anyway. The price tag doesn't make any impact on me. I say caution dear devs: Look what a disaster Boz Digital left behind with his Imperial plugin. Totally uncredible from my pov.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:Tell you what: I wouldn't buy this particular plugin even it would be 50€ simply because i don't need it that much. It's overwhelming how many awesome plugins you can get nowdays for less.
Ignoring the overflown market for a moment, the argument could have ended right here after the commentary "I don't need it that much".

IMO and all that. :tu:

Compyfox wrote:
murnau wrote:Tell you what: I wouldn't buy this particular plugin even it would be 50€ simply because i don't need it that much. It's overwhelming how many awesome plugins you can get nowdays for less.
Ignoring the overflown market for a moment, the argument could have ended right here after the commentary "I don't need it that much".

IMO and all that. :tu:
Where is the rule that only people who bought a plugin are allowed to express their opinion? Are you for real? :lol:

murnau wrote:Are you for real? :lol:
Bloke must be kidding, right?

c'mon dude people can write what they want here...don't sound like some angry wife...this is our place, we feel safe and strong here :hug:
Let's do some music now...we have tools more than we need :phones:

soulone82 wrote:
murnau wrote:Are you for real? :lol:
Bloke must be kidding, right?
Yeah, I'm a flipping jokester..

Now please excuse me while I touch up my face paint - because it's too hot juggling cones today... *honk honk*

Thank you Compyfox for being an adult amongst a bunch of horrible, spiteful children.

Compyfox, are you in any way afiliated with the developer?

I tried the plugin but didn't get much out of it. This is probably more due to my lack of listening skills, though.

When downloading the demo one has to accept an eula containing the following term:
You are allowed to use this software for any educational and artistic application including commercial music production.
So while it is morally certainly questionable it doesn't seem to be illegal to circumvent the demo restriction by noting down the set parameters as has been stated here.

That said, I do like this kind of demo restriction and I hope it pays of for the developer.

I love it. :)

According to the TDR website: "Demo Edition. The demo edition features a true analogue experience, automatic recalls are not possible."

Which appears to suggest that this type of use is encouraged. ;)

Return to “Effects”