Budget reverb - choice of 3!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.

Which of these reverbs?

Valhalla Vintage Verb
90%
Manny Marroquin Reverb
5%
D16 Toraverb
5%

Total votes: 62

RELATED
PRODUCTS

My 3 favorite budget reverbs are: Hofa Algoverb (in System-1), Atomic Reverb, Reverbical

Additionally:
When being discounted: all Eventide's especially Blackhole and UltraReverb

M4L users: Both Outer Spaces and Dub Machines are too good to be true

Turnado and Magma users: FreezeVerb and Purple Verb are gems

Strange but beautiful: Echobode and Frostbite
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

why not try the melda reverb plugin
it haves both the multiband and single band algorithm reverb
and the melda multiband convulation is a killer plugin
and all of the above plugins are under 50 pounds if i am not wrong currently.
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

And to follow Apratim I shall add:

This reverb... for which purpose?

For which instrument? And for which genre of music? And to make which kind of effect exactly?

There are many types of reverbs, and each type has its purpose:
  • Hall reverb?
  • Chamber reverb?
  • Room reverb?
  • Plate reverb?
  • Spring reverb?
  • Non-linear (aka "reversed") reverb?
  • Gated reverb?
  • Algorithmic reverb? (meaning "computed in real time")
  • Convolution reverb?
  • (and I probably miss some others...)
Each one has its type of use. So creating a poll to know which one out of simply reverbs is irrelevant, it is like comparing only three varieties of apples within 30... and in addition without telling which use to make with them: apple pie? apple sauce? jam? cider? Calvados? simply bite into it?

Your question is about the same thing. There are many types of reverbs, and each type has one or two usages which are not the same as another type. And it also depends if it is to be place downstream an instrument (but which one? a voice? a choir? an acoustic guitar? an electric guitar? a synth? a piano? drums?... and for which genre of music? 60's rockabilly? 70's prog rock? cosmic berlin school? 80' new wave? latino? single "easy listening" song? reggae? rap? hip-hop? piano ballad?, etc.)... or in the process of mixing of a song, of an album... or of a concert (where even for that the reverb type can be very different of the one for the album promoted by the tour).

Honestly these polls without the least information about the purpose of the OP are totally useless. And in addition... polls with only three models when there are probably 20 other wonderful models unlisted (and sometimes much better for the purpose (if only it was told!) and sometimes even much less expensive (but that's another discussion).
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat May 13, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

What are the expensive reverbs when the Valhalla is considered budget? 8)

If you think valhalla vintage verb is not natural then get valhalla room.
dedication to flying

ValhallaRoom is far better as a pure mixing verb over VVV IMO.

VVV is a wonderful verb, but it really makes its mark in the track. Room can stay near-invisible even when it's fairly high in the mix, especially if you drop the depth so you're working mostly with early reflections. I say it a lot around here, but I often use Room with depth at 0 for early reflections only. It can add a ton of width and glue elements together in space without the usual reverb 'tail' muddying things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg8RdeB-dwI

hope so this will help you a lot

melda convulation can replicate the algorithm of some most processor heavy reverb plugins
and plus it comes with hundreds of IR ranging from clean halls to big church and some from valhall type reverb like the dark hall algorithm in valhall room sounds same as the dark hall IR in the provided the bundle
and plus you can control bands reverb type
eg
1st(30-120 hz) band reverb can be a hall IR sample
2nd(120-2k hz)band can be a algorithm (yes melda multiband convulation haves algorithm reverb also!! )
6th band...............think for your self ??
(there is a third type reverb algorithm from melda known as filter reverb i dont use it but you know creativity is limitless)

and
plus you can add 2 modules of reverb per band in series or parallel (as you wish)

and control the convulation reverb by various parameters such as volume and filters in it (yup filters)

+an 8 band eq on each band of reverb

and

did i mention it comes with 4 LFO for controlling other parameters and ...............................

a dedicated safety limiter and db meter

man why the FUC...K does waves H-reverb exist

when you can have the whole reverbs universe in your pocket (50 pounds)

and did i mention its processor friendely with GPU driven GUI
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

fluffy_little_something wrote:What are the expensive reverbs when the Valhalla is considered budget? 8)
Valhalla reverbs are really cheap considering the features and quality.

I suppose the flagship plugins from Exponential Audio, TC Electronic, Lexicon and Eventide at 3-4 times the price of the Valhalla verbs could be considered "expensive" :)

voted for Valhalla of course. And I'd like to add FabFilter & Toneboosters.

Surreal Machines "Diffuse" is free until June 8th.

https://www.surrealmachines.com/product ... nes-vstau/

"DIFFUSE is inspired by classic hardware delay and reverb effects from the 1970’s and 1980’s. It takes a Surreal Machines look at the frontier between delays and reverbs.

DIFFUSE is an analog/digital hybrid - an analog modeled delay fused with a classic reverb design used in early digital units.

In DIFFUSE you get more than the best of both worlds - you can morph between delays and reverbs, and find all kinds of fantastical sounds in between the two. You’ll also find plenty of nonlinearities and smooth tape-style delay changes.

DIFFUSE gives you complete control over smearing, echoes and damping in the most intuitive ways possible.

You can download DIFFUSE for FREE until June 8th. After that you can get it for 49€ or as part of the bundle with Modnetic for 99€"
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Three free reverbs that I have found useful are:

Dennis Tihanov's Oril River v2.02 beta. https://www.kvraudio.com/product/orilri ... is-tihanov
Nice sound! 35 presets, lots of controls to tweak! (Windows only)

Tal-Reverb-II. https://tal-software.com/products/tal-reverb
Very straightforward and sounds good! Only 10 presets, but easy to adjust.

AnwidaSoft DX Reverb Light. http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=7
This one is very light and subtle. This would be useful to load up if you needed a number of instances that are not too intrusive. Comes with 23 presets, easy to tweak.

I'm not sure I'm willing to spend another $50 on a reverb, considering the ones that came with my DAW, plus these freebies ...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

cron wrote:ValhallaRoom is far better as a pure mixing verb over VVV IMO.

VVV is a wonderful verb, but it really makes its mark in the track. Room can stay near-invisible even when it's fairly high in the mix, especially if you drop the depth so you're working mostly with early reflections. I say it a lot around here, but I often use Room with depth at 0 for early reflections only. It can add a ton of width and glue elements together in space without the usual reverb 'tail' muddying things up.
Finally someone that puts my thoughts about VintageVerb into decent words. :tu:

In the meanwhile I sold it, but didn't replace it with Room (which I had many moons ago). I went to get RC48 which I like a lot better, especially when it comes to actually blend instruments with reverb. I would recommend it to the OP if he could get it for the same price via the market place.

emotica wrote:
cron wrote:ValhallaRoom is far better as a pure mixing verb over VVV IMO.

Finally someone that puts my thoughts about VintageVerb into decent words. :tu:

In the meanwhile I sold it, but didn't replace it with Room (which I had many moons ago). I went to get RC48 which I like a lot better, especially when it comes to actually blend instruments with reverb. I would recommend it to the OP if he could get it for the same price via the market place.
Aye, for me VVV is the verb to use when you want to use reverb 'as an instrument'. Big spacey reverbs that you can really hear. I'm sure you can use it just fine as a mixing verb, but I always reach for VRoom when I want that rather than trying to massage VVV into place.

I do love VVV though. I've actually bought it twice! Once for me, and once for someone else as a birthday gift (many thanks to Sean at Valhalla for helping me arrange that).

MReverb to my taste is as good as the Valhalla stuff. Maybe not the same 'color' but just as usefull in my eperience. I often prefer the user friendly approach of Valhalla but when I need to tweak I go for MReverb. At 23$ It's probably the best budget buy currently IMO.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”