Looking for a decent REX player

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Orbit-50 wrote:
sfd wrote:Stylus RMX seems nice. But it's kinda old isn't it?
And...expensive.
I get what you're saying, but it works perfectly for what it was made to do. Worth every penny. I wish there were a demo for you to try out and you'd see what I'm saying. I, at first, thought I wasted my money, but realized how awesome Stylus is after I actually got into using it. I just don't like using any DAW to pitch shift drum loops. That's why, to me, Stylus is indispensable for this application.
Weh, well..yea a demo would have been nice !
It looks like they haven't updated it for a millenium or so...hm...

Thats odd, I'll check that out this evening.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:Thats odd, I'll check that out this evening.
Please do. It would be nice if I could get it working with TX16Wx :tu:

I think you can run UVI Workstation without iLok if that is what's holding you back. Just refuse the iLok/Pace drivers when installing. AFAIK, iLok is only needed to use protected libraries.

telecharge wrote:I think you can run UVI Workstation without iLok if that is what's holding you back. Just refuse the iLok/Pace drivers when installing. AFAIK, iLok is only needed to use protected libraries.
Oh, it's not iLok that's holding me back. It's the browser. I'm not really comfortable with it. I don't know how to go back in the directoriews. Also that grey color isn't nice to my eyes. I'm visually impaired you know.

stylus rmx or transfuser 2. none of the others match or surpass the OG dr rex like these.

sfd wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:
sfd wrote:Stylus RMX seems nice. But it's kinda old isn't it?
And...expensive.
I get what you're saying, but it works perfectly for what it was made to do. Worth every penny. I wish there were a demo for you to try out and you'd see what I'm saying. I, at first, thought I wasted my money, but realized how awesome Stylus is after I actually got into using it. I just don't like using any DAW to pitch shift drum loops. That's why, to me, Stylus is indispensable for this application.
Weh, well..yea a demo would have been nice !
It looks like they haven't updated it for a millenium or so...hm...
Yeah, I get the old software concern, but nothing I know has ever touched Stylus for what it does. I think the question for you is does it offer more power than you need...? This guy's video really helped me dig into it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDkKSRk ... e=youtu.be

For me Stylus RMX works great, but probably even a better option is Steinberg Groove Agent 4: you just drag and drop it into a GA4 pad and all those superb creative features are right there: correct slicing, drum and fx engine processing per slices, midi drag and drop export, etc.

Unfortunately Cubase > REX conversion still sucks...

tripleflows wrote:For me Stylus RMX works great, but probably even a better option is Steinberg Groove Agent 4: you just drag and drop it into a GA4 pad and all those superb creative features are right there: correct slicing, drum and fx engine processing per slices, midi drag and drop export, etc.

Unfortunately Cubase > REX conversion still sucks...
Is there any other way to load a file into a GA-4 pad except drag/drop?
I only have GA-4 SE. But I'll try it.

Thanks for the tips ! :tu:
Last edited by sfd on Mon May 29, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfd wrote:Is there any other way to load a file into a GA-4 pad except drag/drop?
In case of REX files, only drag-and-drop to a pad works.

In Cubase, you can drag and drop any automatically sliced audio from the Project window onto Groove Agent pads.

Plus there is the internal GA file broswer, which of course also allows you to load the decent files.

TX16Wx definitely plays .rx2 files.

To preview them in the File Browser, just click the little Play arrow*.

(*Can be automated via the speaker icon next to it, and/or under Settings via 'Auto play waves in file browser'.)

To map the slices to keyboard keys, just drag the .rx2 into the upper part of the Keyboard Mapper window.

The plugin will ask 'Layout Slices?'. Click 'Yes' and the slices will be added to the group.

(Several .rx2 can be made part of the same group, if so desired.)

Once mapped, you can go to the Wave Editor tab and fool around with the slices.

Note: I am totally not into rex stuff, i was merely curious whether and how well .rx2 files work with TX16Wx. But i have to say, it looks like an excellent solution for that purpose. I was quite surprised how flawless the whole thing seemed to work...in fact i have a good mind now to prep a few drum-machine kits as .rx2 just to see how it goes...

samplerbanker wrote:
sfd wrote:Is there any other way to load a file into a GA-4 pad except drag/drop?
In case of REX files, only drag-and-drop to a pad works.

In Cubase, you can drag and drop any automatically sliced audio from the Project window onto Groove Agent pads.

Plus there is the internal GA file broswer, which of course also allows you to load the decent files.
Thanks for the info ! :tu:

My problem is that I don't get any sound of anything else but sf2 files in the browser. When loading anything but sf2 files there's no sound either.

MUX play's REX files and more.

heks wrote:MUX play's REX files and more.
Does it supports rx2, host sync, preview and slicing?

way past decent, full-on decadent = Imagine-Line Slicex

Return to “Instruments”