Halion 6 or Falcon?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Falcon HALion 7

otristan wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
otristan wrote:
monomaker wrote: If Falcon supported MTS it would be the most complete synth/sampler on the market for microtuning.
Just wondering. Should the micro tuner open a MIDI file to work with this or is this something that is sent in realtime because I'm not sure host would let those message go through like most Sysex stuff ?
I would be happy with .tun file import.
if you have a webpage that describes the format, this should be doable.
I have found some on the net but want to be sure of the actual format between Tuning and Exact Tuning section.
if the second one is optional or not for example.

Edit: Nervermind, found it. http://www.mark-henning.de/files/am/Tun ... V2_Doc.pdf
Great. Oh that would be really awesome if you could add that option.

I don't have Falcon. I missed out on the ridiculously low intro price and have lived a bitter existence ever since.

I do, however, have HALion 5, and love it. Easy to use, jammed full of great stuff, and the introduction in HALion 5 of the various modules for Hammond, Pad synth, Beatbox, etc. instruments was an amazing addition.

From what I've seen about HALion 6, I can't wait to get my hands on it (plan on downloading it today). I run Cubase 9Pro, so the integrated features will also be a bonus. C9 introduced a 'sample track' feature that makes it dead simple to drag in a sample, set the root, edit the start/end points with fades and pitch/tempo adjustment--within seconds you can create an entirely new instrument to play.

I assume that the new sampling features in HALion 6 will mirror the C9 capabilities, perhaps with more robust editing abilities. And from what I've read, that's just the start. At a minimum, Halion is a great all-rounder--something for everyone. Sadly though, I don't have the practical experience to make a comparison with Falcon.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Wavegem wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:I use HALion on every project, often it's the only synth, even though I have a dozen other synths...
Can anybody say this for Falcon!! End of story
Not quite the end of story but it indeed is a very good point. HALion is certainly a more complete product right out of the box and it might even be the instrument I'd choose if I could only have one instrument. However, since I have many instruments and don't have to choose only one, I find that I use Falcon more than HALion (and I use Kontakt more than either of them).

Uncle E wrote:
Wavegem wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:I use HALion on every project, often it's the only synth, even though I have a dozen other synths...
Not quite the end of story but it indeed is a very good point. HALion is certainly a more complete product right out of the box and it might even be the instrument I'd choose if I could only have one instrument. However, since I have many instruments and don't have to choose only one, I find that I use Falcon more than HALion (and I use Kontakt more than either of them).
All that I have read so far leads me to be patient and to wait for Kontakt 6.
And this time I may move up to Komplete Ultimate.

Gotta say both Falcon and Halion look great. Glad I will not have
to decide. But if there was a "24 hour cannot pass up this sale" with really
low price I would pick Falcon. Too much GAS gives me heartburn
pocketburn.

Cinebient wrote:I would be happy with .tun file import.
Next version of Falcon will have a basic .tun suport
Tuning and Exact Tuning sections which seems to be the most used stuff.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

I have both Halion 5 and Falcon. I also have Kontakt 5, Serum and probably some synths I've forgotten about.

I bought falcon because it allowed me to stack instruments and it sounded better than Halion 5. In fact, it sounds better than a lot of other synth/samplers. People keep repeating they can't wait for Kontakt 6... I can. I've found that some of the libraries in Kontakt don't match those in Falcon (i.e. vintage synths). In production, I went back and forth between them and for many synths Kontakt's offering was not as lush (and I don't mean effects). If you're looking for "retro synth" sounds Falcon, hands down, blows away Kontakt 5. However, I do use Kontakt 5 for strings, pianos, horns and acoustic instruments. Not because it sounds better but because the library and what I have aquired over the years is more than what Falcon has and I don't feel re-purchasing these libraries to use in Falcon would be worth it.

Unless Kontakt 6 is going to add a synth, I don't see how we can compare them.

Back to Halion 5. I like it's layout a lot but it's sounds were always 5 years behind. Maybe in Halion 6 this issue has been addressed. Falcon focuses in retro synths so it's obvious, with the exception of a few libraries, they're not trying to keep up with the times. I believe they released a few more "up to date" synth packs but for the most part, unless you design your own sounds, they're a retro synth factory and a very good sounding one. Purchasing Falcon instantly made my Trilian synth patches obsolete and we all know how good Trilian sounds (Still use it for Electric Basses though).

Even though I have Falcon, I'd buy Halion 6 if:

1. There's a lot of wavetable sounds and they at least sound as good as falcons (Serum is king)
2. They update the other sounds, making them more deep and lush.
3. Updated the UI in a very useful way.
4. Uses less resources than other synths when using Cubase 8.5 or higher.

I assume there's a demo version.

Falcon for me!

otristan wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I would be happy with .tun file import.
Next version of Falcon will have a basic .tun suport
Tuning and Exact Tuning sections which seems to be the most used stuff.
otristan, do you have a roadmap for Falcon 2, or is it too early to say? :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Uncle E wrote:
Wavegem wrote:
ya Kontakt runs smooth as a babies ass !! I pull samples from a server on multiple computers, one of my computers has 128 gigs of ram, I can load it to the max without any hiccups. I am just getting into Halion now.. although I am having problems running Halion in Vienna, everytime I launch the plugin it crashes. Anybody else have this problem? maybe I have to set the inputs and outputs to match

Already have Hal6 but definitely want Falcon too. I trust UVi and want their uber instrument.

Doesn't matter which thread is bumped in hopes of avoiding the facts...
It still comes down to a choice between eLicenser and PACE. And as long as Falcon requires PACE as its only method, they make the decision for us.

If they would at least give the option of using one or the other so that those that believe PACE is their friend can use it and those of us that have experienced the horror of using them can use eLicenser instead... I would most likely jump on owning Falcon too.

Or someone can dredge up another older thread in trying to avoid the market that wants Falcon but recoil from PACE like the parasite it is.

BBFG# wrote:Doesn't matter which thread is bumped in hopes of avoiding the facts...
It still comes down to a choice between eLicenser and PACE. And as long as Falcon requires PACE as its only method, they make the decision for us.

If they would at least give the option of using one or the other so that those that believe PACE is their friend can use it and those of us that have experienced the horror of using them can use eLicenser instead... I would most likely jump on owning Falcon too.

Or someone can dredge up another older thread in trying to avoid the market that wants Falcon but recoil from PACE like the parasite it is.
do you can write something other too ? the whole KVR knows now that you dont like e-licenser and pace . you write that in every second thread .

and you are the only one who has this extreme "parasite" paranoia .

DrumAddict wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Doesn't matter which thread is bumped in hopes of avoiding the facts...

do you can write something other too ? the whole KVR knows now that you dont like e-licenser and pace . you write that in every second thread .

and you are the only one who has this extreme "parasite" paranoia .
Since you mention it, I don't actually comment on 'every second thread' and if you read it right, I also don't mind eLicenser since it doesn't 'parasite the system resources' like the PACE parasite does. I even mention that if UVI/Falcon gave us the option to use eLicenser instead, I would be much more apt to jump on it fairly quick. Seems dredging up two of the same topic threads was trying to dismiss the objections that many of us have towards PACE... which is more common of their users than those that want UVI to understand how they're stunting their own market (and thereby having to give away part of their product line to compensate for that).

There are many anti-PACE sentiments on KVR. The majority of which, I never comment on. Simply because its a product I have no interest in - in the first place.

If you love your tick, fine. But what deserves mentioning is to UVI and not the 'tick lovers' so maybe they'll one day expand their market that want to stay tick free.

I would say UVI is very aware of all these sentiments and they have (pretty obviously) decided which protection theye want to use for their software. It doesn't seem to be stopping them from actually creating revenue since they constantly work on new stuff, so there you have it. Market for their products obviously exists despite them using iLok. You just need to let this go. :)

EvilDragon wrote:I would say UVI is very aware of all these sentiments... You just need to let this go. :)
Change comes from voicing there is a need (and market) for it.
Maybe it's the PACE lovers that need to let it go and let us continue to 'petition' the company that feel they could do better without them.
As I said, I'm not really talking to you.

UVI presents another non-pace option, I'll own both.
It is as simple as that.

Return to “Instruments”