AudioThing releases Fog Convolver - v1.5.1 - True Stereo!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fog Convolver

Zombie Queen wrote:My thoughts after demoing: muting audio every 10 seconds in demo is not a good way to make new friends.
It's actually every 40 seconds. I know, it's an endless debate, but I still think it's the best compromise against other invasive or hard to enforce methods.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

audiothing wrote:Fog Convolver v1.5.0:
  • Added: True Stereo Mode
  • Improved: Waveform Monitor (now with zoom)
  • Improved: Browser loading time
  • Fixed: Pro Tools stepped automation bug
  • Fixed: Gain inconsistencies when changing sample rate
You can download the update from your user area.
Thank you for the update, the browser is as fast as using an algorithmic reverb. I was skeptical with the small sized contents, but it works magic on piano, synth and drums/percussions. The contents are cool, with a crisp - warm quality and depth that I wasn't expected. It's one of the most stable and fast to work with, with a simple and elegant interface. I just turned a simple Simmons kick drum from Waldorf Attack into cinematic big hits and unique fxs in no time, again with a great quality. Never new that an eggshell can be so dangerous :) also love the ambient material for piano. Hopefully they will release a dedicated "Ambient Bank", with the "Cereal" patch type of endless reverb, just addicted to that.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote:Thank you for the update, the browser is as fast as using an algorithmic reverb. I was skeptical with the small sized contents, but it works magic on piano, synth and drums/percussions. The contents are cool, with a crisp - warm quality and depth that I wasn't expected. It's one of the most stable and fast to work with, with a simple and elegant interface. I just turned a simple Simmons kick drum from Waldorf Attack into cinematic big hits and unique fxs in no time, again with a great quality. Never new that an eggshell can be so dangerous :) also love the ambient material for piano. Hopefully they will release a dedicated "Ambient Bank", with the "Cereal" patch type of endless reverb, just addicted to that.
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we have plans for more experimental IR banks :) Lots of interesting things to do with convolution.

Great plugin overall! It should have an optional little EQ tho. Just one band would already be great :)

Dip200 wrote:Great plugin overall! It should have an optional little EQ tho. Just one band would already be great :)
A simple 3-band post convolution EQ is probably coming in the next update. And also other things, most likely separate Pan and Volume for True Stereo IRs. It'll take a while since we are working on so many things at the moment, but definitely on the todo list.

That's great. But whatever you do, please try to keep things backwards compatible! (even the Pro version you mentioned earlier, if possible)

Quick question about the new true stereo feature, is there a way to drag and drop an IR in both channel at the same time? It seems (maybe I'm doing something wrong...) that I have to drag and drop the IR twice, once for left channel then another time for the right channel. Any way to have the IR loaded in both in one drag?

Dip200 wrote:That's great. But whatever you do, please try to keep things backwards compatible! (even the Pro version you mentioned earlier, if possible)
The new version is backwards compatible with the previous 1.3.0. Unless you are using a very old version, updating shouldn't be a problem.

Neon Breath wrote:Quick question about the new true stereo feature, is there a way to drag and drop an IR in both channel at the same time? It seems (maybe I'm doing something wrong...) that I have to drag and drop the IR twice, once for left channel then another time for the right channel. Any way to have the IR loaded in both in one drag?
You can drag and drop two different files into the monitor and (if in True Stereo mode) they will be loaded together. If you are trying to load the same file twice in True Stereo mode, you could just click on the loaded waveform and drag it to the empty part of the monitor (it also work if you want to drag the IR somewhere else, or into your DAW).
Anyway, I don't think it makes really sense to load the same IR twice, probably just a waste of CPU :) Try two different IRs, or better yet, some True Stereo IR library.

audiothing wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Quick question about the new true stereo feature, is there a way to drag and drop an IR in both channel at the same time? It seems (maybe I'm doing something wrong...) that I have to drag and drop the IR twice, once for left channel then another time for the right channel. Any way to have the IR loaded in both in one drag?
You can drag and drop two different files into the monitor and (if in True Stereo mode) they will be loaded together. If you are trying to load the same file twice in True Stereo mode, you could just click on the loaded waveform and drag it to the empty part of the monitor (it also work if you want to drag the IR somewhere else, or into your DAW).
Anyway, I don't think it makes really sense to load the same IR twice, probably just a waste of CPU :) Try two different IRs, or better yet, some True Stereo IR library.
Thanks for the cue and tips!

The drag and drop system is not so nice imo. Would be more convinient if true stereo waveforms could be loaded like the normal waveforms from the menu below.

Another suggestion: Option (global menu) to delete columns like author permantently. It's just space waste to me.

I've just installe the 1.5.0 version and let me say at my humble level that as far as i can judge, you've made a marvelous job

I' m waiting for a "pro" version with some more detailed and accurate features but nevertheless i strongly appreciate both the relevance of the bank's directory (the categories and tags are IMO very intelligently conceived !!!)...and the overall responsiveness of the plugin while tweaking.

all in all, it makes it dead easy and intuitive like no others in this peculiar area of creative IR research, and AFAIK, this is a technique in where convolution engines are second to none !

Dip200 wrote:The drag and drop system is not so nice imo. Would be more convinient if true stereo waveforms could be loaded like the normal waveforms from the menu below.
You can, as long as you save a true stereo preset (or you import a true stereo bank).
Dip200 wrote:Another suggestion: Option (global menu) to delete columns like author permantently. It's just space waste to me.
Right click on the column names and disable the columns that you don't need. Unfortunately right now it resets everytime you open the GUI, but I'll add it to the general settings for the next update.

Krakatau wrote:I've just installe the 1.5.0 version and let me say at my humble level that as far as i can judge, you've made a marvelous job

I' m waiting for a "pro" version with some more detailed and accurate features but nevertheless i strongly appreciate both the relevance of the bank's directory (the categories and tags are IMO very intelligently conceived !!!)...and the overall responsiveness of the plugin while tweaking.

all in all, it makes it dead easy and intuitive like no others in this peculiar area of creative IR research, and AFAIK, this is a technique in where convolution engines are second to none !
Thank you for your feedback! The "pro" version was supposed to have true stereo and other things, but I decided to just include the true stereo for all "regular" users. Having two versions might create confusion. So, all additional features will be included, no need for the "pro" version :)

Since this convolver is somewhat labeled as creative sounddesign tool and not a strict reverb plugin, how about more actual options that let you design the impulse responses more deeply?

Reverberate has envelopes that can trigger the EQs which change the IRs (unlike a normal EQ). They are designed to make more natural reverbs but there is some creative and unrealistic use possible (like somewhat aggressive lowpassing reverb tails). And I think right there is a huuuuge potential to make a convolver that really stands out. Envelopes that trigger filters and effects (like phasers) that then get written into the impulse responses themselves. :clap:

Return to “Effects”