Sweep (morphing filter)

Official support for: signaldust.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sweep

Hi
Good filter, but one moment about his Drive knob - I'm not sure that it really works, at least i'm not hear any "drive" effect even on max knob value, or it has some specific purpose? (i use 32bit dll version)

c_voltage wrote:Hi
Good filter, but one moment about his Drive knob - I'm not sure that it really works, at least i'm not hear any "drive" effect even on max knob value, or it has some specific purpose? (i use 32bit dll version)
It is (intentionally) rather subtle, since this is not designed to be high on distortion; for the most part, driving the filter mostly has effect on how the resonance behaves. Essentially the resonance gets damped at high levels and the drive controls how easily this happens (with higher drive this happens much easier).

If you have trouble identifying what it does, set the resonance to a near-maximum value with full Q range (don't set it too high with low drive though, otherwise you can get some loud signals) and feed it some signal. You should notice that with low drive settings the resonance can get sort of out of control, where as increasing drive makes it "behave" and keeps help it in control. That's essentially the main purpose: to allow one to use high-resonance with control on exactly how loud the resonance can get.

Beyond controlling the "loudness" of high resonance, it does create some saturation at the resonant frequency and other more subtle effects (but without resonance they are REALLY subtle), but like I said, it's rather subtle on purpose: this way it works in situations where you want to filter something without obvious distortion, but still get more predictable results than with a purely linear filter that often create too much gain variation with high resonance.

Thanks for reply, clear. Frankly, not quite standart use of the term, namely as in filter. Well, not the essence, thank you for work.
Btw maybe it would be good for add also classical (rather appreciable) saturation\drive function (knob) ? Just as request.
But at the same time of course important to keep ability of clear filter work (exactly what I liked in Sweep), i.e. i would not mean another saturator plugin, but as useful optional addition.

c_voltage wrote:Thanks for reply, clear. Frankly, not quite standart use of the term, namely as in filter. Well, not the essence, thank you for work.
Btw maybe it would be good for add also classical (rather appreciable) saturation\drive function (knob) ? Just as request.
It's actually a standard drive knob in the sense that it increases the input levels, and then compensate the output by lowering it the same amount, which I believe is by far the most common function for such a knob.

It's just that filter itself is designed in such a way that it doesn't really cause very obvious distortion. Arguably it might be a little too clean, maybe some day I'll make a new version.. but really it's just the character of the filter, the drive knob is working just like one would expect.

mystran wrote:It's actually a standard drive knob in the sense that it increases the input levels, and then compensate the output by lowering it the same amount, which I believe is by far the most common function for such a knob.
Well, perhaps you right. Can say, my perception as from consumer (without depth knowledge).

mystran , wanted to question also, why all parameter names (cutoff, resonance etc) are presented here in form of some links (i mean it's clickable), but can change by click here only QRange parameter. Maybe some specific purposes ? Or is it some unnecessary UI element.

Return to “Signaldust”