Phrase Editor, Number of notes

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I drag a phrase over to a track, and then look at the phrase in the track, it may show 3 notes stacked up as a chord, for example. But if I double click on the phrase, it may show many more notes.

For example, PianoFunk20 in extra phrases shows chords of 3 notes on the track. When I go inside, there are 7 (seven) notes, some darker blue and some lighter blue. For example, with a II minor. it shows the three notes of the minor chord, and then the 3 note minor chord is repeated an octave up, and then the root note is repeated again in the next octave.

I am pretty sure it is only playing a three note chord. When I export the track, there are only 3 notes in the midi export on the track. So what are these other notes? Is there a control telling the program which notes to play?

Glenn

Hi,
in the PianoFunk20 phrase
they are chord notes and indexed with the "IgnoreNon-ExistentChordNote" option
so.. for example if the chord "C5" you only see two notes, rest of will be hidden...
if chord "Cmaj9" you will see 5 notes...
i hope gif will explain better:

Yellukhan,

I understand some of that and not others.

(1) When I click on the chord I get a different suggestion menu....you are getting a "quick suggestion" menu that you can move. I get a Chord Suggestions menu that sits on top of the bar I would like to see. I don't see any way to move it.

(2) But I can right click on the chord number and get the other menu, which shows by Scale Degrees, List or Palette. I understand that changing the type of chord changing the number of notes required...like a major needs three notes, and a dominant four. I understand that.

(3) Then I see you select all the notes and go into the note dialog, and I see the check box for "non-existent chord notes", that you can just ignore them. But I don't understand why the extra notes are there in the first place???? Are they just in there, in case they are needed, like for a more complicated chord with more notes?

(4) Also, I see you go past and possibly click the "Mirror Selection Vertically" when you have all the notes selected. I don't understand what you are doing. What does it do to Mirror Selection Vertically?

I must understand this stuff to use the program, so any help is appreciated.

Glenn

tigerintheboat wrote:(1) When I click on the chord I get a different suggestion menu....you are getting a "quick suggestion" menu that you can move.
Hi Glenn,

yellukhan is using the v3.3 beta version which is more advanced in terms of chord selection. If you'd like, I will gladly send you the links for the beta version.
tigerintheboat wrote:(2) But I can right click on the chord number and get the other menu, which shows by Scale Degrees, List or Palette. I understand that changing the type of chord changing the number of notes required...like a major needs three notes, and a dominant four. I understand that.
Yes, exactly!
tigerintheboat wrote:(3) Then I see you select all the notes and go into the note dialog, and I see the check box for "non-existent chord notes", that you can just ignore them. But I don't understand why the extra notes are there in the first place???? Are they just in there, in case they are needed, like for a more complicated chord with more notes?
That is right, they are used only for more complicated chords. E.g. you can use the Chord Generator with an acoustic guitar chord which has 6 notes. In that case all 6 notes are used. For simpler chord less notes are used. There is an option not to ignore a note, e.g. when the chord has no 7th note, the bottom note+1 octave is used, e.g. for C4, E4, G4, the "4th" chord note will be C5, the "5th" will be E5, etc.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Thanks; I will hold off on the beta; I have enough confusion! Is there a brief explanation somewhere about the Mirror Notes Vertically....do I need to understand this right now to create phrases?

Glenn

Mirror Vertically is "Variation" you can use it in the Phrase Inspector or in the Track Inspector:

For the "ignore non existent chord note" option, what is the name of the setting for that color? I think I want mine to be grayed when I open the phrase editors.

The color of those notes are made from the normal colors by decreasing the saturation. So these colors cannot be set individually. I tried to find a better saturation value today, I hope the colors are better now, though I am not sure. You should still see the original note color of these notes.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”