Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
simon.a.billington
KVRian

1153 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Postby simon.a.billington; Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:35 pm Re: Favorite saturation/distortion.

Yeah... "Why?" Or what is the given context??

After all, how long is a piece of string??
Everglide
KVRist

318 posts since 5 Mar, 2013

Postby Everglide; Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 am Re: Favorite saturation/distortion.

chk071 wrote:For saturation, i like Softube Saturation Knob. For distortion, i found out that i really like RP-Distort. Most of my synths onboard saturation fx are pretty decent too.

Agreed, most synths have staple distortion and only need subtle dusting of further saturation to bring out another 10% sheen. That's why I'm a fan of Reviver :tu:
Andy, please make an EQ
zerocrossing
KVRAF

9070 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 am Re: Favorite saturation/distortion.

cron wrote:"...and why?"

When you're right, you're right. :tu:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
zerocrossing
KVRAF

Postby zerocrossing; Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:40 am Re: Favorite saturation/distortion.

Everglide wrote:
chk071 wrote:For saturation, i like Softube Saturation Knob. For distortion, i found out that i really like RP-Distort. Most of my synths onboard saturation fx are pretty decent too.

Agreed, most synths have staple distortion and only need subtle dusting of further saturation to bring out another 10% sheen. That's why I'm a fan of Reviver :tu:

Omnisphere's distortion/saturation options are particularly good. I wish they'd release a version that allowed audio in. Great effects.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
Tearing Riots
KVRian

673 posts since 18 Oct, 2014

Postby Tearing Riots; Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:54 am Re: Favorite saturation/distortion.

Fair enough, for the why on the airwindows processes: free, clean, light on cpu, no gui and they do exactly one thing. Sometimes i reach for Trash2 because of its presets, the combination of filters, distortion and convolution (or an algo-cab like in Amp) makes the distortion shine. But usually i do this myself, grab a multi-band, stuff some simple distortion processes in there and go to town.

Tearing Riots wrote:Airwindows: Drive, HighImpact, Loud, Density, Fracture, PowerSag. Best if you have something to build parallel/multiband chains with it.
chk071
KVRAF

13879 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:32 am Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

Didn't know Trash is on sale ATM. Think i'll grab it for that price...
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
Mister Natural
KVRAF

2097 posts since 28 Oct, 2007, from michigan

Postby Mister Natural; Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:28 pm Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

chk071 wrote:Didn't know Trash is on sale ATM. Think i'll grab it for that price...

Word
"the digital photo of that guitar just doesn't have the same warmth as an analog photo for me"
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks
pandashake
KVRAF

2041 posts since 22 Jan, 2005, from flint, michigan

Postby pandashake; Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:39 pm Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

SDRR is fantastic and has a wide sweet spot. Definitely my favorite. I found the Softube Saturation Knob to be a little brittle on some sources if driven too hard. The other ones I use A LOT are the Kush Omega N and Omega A "preamps," but the A is very source dependent and works best in small doses. Sounds great on bass and vocals though.
sin night
KVRian

1033 posts since 1 Aug, 2006, from Italy

Postby sin night; Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:50 pm Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

I'm not a fan of aggressive distortion, I prefer saturation/overdrive (I rarely want to destroy a sound completely) and I also prefer warmer tones.

So, software-wise for me it's Slate FG-N (overdriving the input) and Decapitator for vibe, with Sonnox Inflator and Limiter (the enhance section of the limiter) to enhance the top end without changing the sound too much.

Hardware-wise, I like overdriving any MoogerFooger pedal (MF-101 an MF-105M are my favourites for this task).

I also have a few distortions (both software and hardware), but for me it's mostly saturation/overdrive/mixing wth clean sound... I rarely want distortion to be over the top, I prefer keeping it subtle (ok, it's not easy to describe how much subtle: let's say I don't want the listener to think about distortion as soon as he starts listening, but it can still be noticeable... I want distortion to be part of the whole tone in a not-so-obvious way, rather than hearing a tone sounding mangled through distortion).
Pingafuego
KVRist

44 posts since 18 Apr, 2014

Postby Pingafuego; Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:12 pm Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

Trash 2 is a full featured channel strip, with 2 eqs, compressor, delay, saturation/distortion/fuzz, convolution and limiter!
And it sounds good! Try drum bus multi band saturation (tape on low end, tube on mid band, and fuzz on hi end)
pheeleep
KVRAF

2928 posts since 11 Jun, 2003

Postby pheeleep; Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:35 pm Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

Favorite Saturation:

Waves NLS
Lindell 6X-500 CM
brainworx Vertigo VSM-3
Supercharger GT Saturation (Compressor off)
Satin
Code Red Free
SGA1566
Decapitator

Favorite Distortion:

Waves Butch Vig vocals
Trash 2
Ohmicide
Fuzzplus3 (Free)
Gorgon (Free)
RP Distort
Unfiltered Audio Indent
Waves Manny Marroquin Distortion
Play it by ear
zerocrossing
KVRAF

Postby zerocrossing; Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:32 pm Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

Mister Natural wrote:
chk071 wrote:Didn't know Trash is on sale ATM. Think i'll grab it for that price...

Word

Yeah, I had a go with it today. Worth it just to use as a character delay.
Zerocrossing Media

Phorous
KVRian

833 posts since 28 Apr, 2014, from Texas

Postby Phorous; Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

As for the why...

Steinberg Magneto II: I like the subtle saturation it adds to a sound, really warming it up without making it overly harsh or muffled like other tape saturation plugins I have used.

Steinberg Quadrafuzz II: When I am looking for more of a Tube saturation sound, the single, double, and triple tube modes really hit the spot for me warming/fattening the sound. Its easy to dial in enhancement to the frequencies of a sound that need it.

NI Supercharger / Supercharger GT: It just makes things sound more warm and alive, even without the compression. Kinda like the tube counterpart to Magneto II to me. If I want something to really stand out in the mix, this will likely be used as an insert.
Cubase 9.0 | Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25
Everglide
KVRist

Postby Everglide; Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 am Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

Trash 2 $33.01 Summer Sale :o
Andy, please make an EQ
Everglide
KVRist

Postby Everglide; Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:07 am Re: Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

Quadrafuzz you say... 2 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEqawRxGac
Andy, please make an EQ
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects