Multiple Tracks with same MIDI input device? [SOLVED X3!]

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, I feel like a moron here. I've spent two hours looking at google and the manual and tutorials. I've missed something obvious, I think. This is for the WaveForm 8.1.2 demo.

I'd like to have my MIDI keyboard as input for simultaneous multiple tracks, so I can layer synths. But, as far as I can tell, the keyboard can be used as input for only one track at a time. When I switch to the second track and try to add it, the keyboard disappears as input for the first one. I've tried combos of ALT/SHIFT/CTRL/RightClick. Changing output to pure MIDI and redirecting output to other tracks still only allows me to choose one track at a time. Folder and submix tracks don't seem to work.

This should be dead simple. I'm assuming that there's a one-sentence answer here that I've overlooked.
\
:help:
Last edited by GreyLion on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okay, I've found a way to do it using Racks, per a vid in Groove3 that apparently is for T5. Man, it's incredibly clumsy and non-intuitive. If anybody knows a way to simply create multiple tracks using the same MIDI input keyboard, I'd love to hear it. If not, I guess we're done here.

Create a virtual midi input from you midi input, place the virtual input on the 2nd track

Hi !

A very elegant way has been proposed some months ago in the Tracktion tread here in KVR called
--> "Tracktion needs a simpler way to use the MIDI output of one track as the MIDI input of other tracks" dated march 04, 2017 (I'm sorry, I don't know how to put a direct link on this topic)...

As described :
1. create an empty rack containing only a midi link (between midi in to midi out) ;
2. save this empty rack containing only the midi link
3. put this rack as the first "plugin effect" on each track you want to have the same midi input played at the same time...
--> when you connect your midi keyboard controller on track one (for the example) and the above mentioned "midi rack" on track 1, 2, 3 (if these 3 tracks - in this example - have to be played at the same time with the same midi channel), when you play on you keyboard, all the VSTi placed on track 1, 2 and 3 will play at the same time...
Easy, no ?

Hope you will have fun with Waveform !

Cheers

:hug:
Thanks, guys! I was going to wait until I have a chance to test these solutions before replying, but I'm flying out early in the morning, so won't get to do anything in Tracktion until Tuesday.

In any case, i appreciate your help, and plan to report back what I find.

It can be done quickly. I ran into the same issue as you a few months ago as a newb Tracktion user.

The short answer is this:

Setup Track #1 with your MIDI keyboard input and your first synth.

Then add as many tracks and synths as you wish to layer.

For the first synth track, insert (in front of the synth) Plugin Racks > New From Preset > MIDI Channel Splitter.

Now Ctrl+drag (copy) this plugin to the same location in front of each synth in the additional tracks.

Play your keyboard. All tracks should respond to the input now! :tu:

FYI: if you just insert (instead of copy) this splitter into each track, you will have to go back and configure them. But when you copy it, it seems to pick up all the tracks and combine them.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I've just now had a chance to test all three suggestions. All three work, each in slightly different ways.

I can see using each method for different situations, especially as I grow more familiar with Waveform.

I'm hoping this thread will be useful for newbs to follow...

Thanks, guys! :hug:

Need to mention one more thing that I have found using either the midi splitter racks, or the midi in/out(thru) racks, is that if you use the track mute or solo buttons you can break the midi chain.

One solution to this is to put your controller on a non instrument track, and link it using the midi racks. Then you can mute any 1 or more instrument tracks and the rest will play. However, if you solo a track, make sure to also solo the controller track!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I still think that this process could be simpler if the "use MIDI track output as MIDI input" feature of the DAW could be expanded to allow the same MIDI track output of one track to be the MIDI input to *many* other MIDI tracks, instead of to just a *single* other MIDI track. That way, no MIDI splitter/thru racks would be needed.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Return to “Tracktion”