Easy, free compressor for my students

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

nineofkings wrote:
jens wrote:
nineofkings wrote:Camel Audio CanelPhatFree or Camelcrusher with "phat mode" turned off. One knob, easy compression.
Are you trying to be funny?
No? http://www.vstplanet.com/News/14/Camel- ... lug-in.htm
Ah, look what we have here - a 32bit only plugin from a company which has been bought by Apple a Couple of years ago (and back then ceased to exist) - nice recommendation. :tu:

I would b.t.w. assume Apple now owns the IP property for/of this plugin and offering this download is not really legal (not that I oculd be arsed to find out).
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

These sites, VST4Free, or VSTPlanet are borderline in terms of legality anyway. They offer a LOT of content which they surely aren't allowed to offer.

I didn't see it mentioned, but I seriously recommend Tokyo Dawn:
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/

Peak and RMS. The eq can do some simple multi-band compression. Pretty nice for free.

I would recommend the TDR Feedback Compressor since it's clean sounding, and does compression very well. But I would also recommend Reacomp because it's flexible (distortion -> compression) and not too complicated.

A compressor without 4 controls (attack release ratio threshold) is just more confusing.

jens wrote:
nineofkings wrote:
jens wrote:
nineofkings wrote:Camel Audio CanelPhatFree or Camelcrusher with "phat mode" turned off. One knob, easy compression.
Ah, look what we have here - a 32bit only plugin from a company which has been bought by Apple a Couple of years ago (and back then ceased to exist) - nice recommendation. :tu:

I would b.t.w. assume Apple now owns the IP property for/of this plugin and offering this download is not really legal (not that I oculd be arsed to find out).
Good tools are good tools :shrug:. This fits the OP better than, say, ReaComp, being suggested here anyway because these threads eventually become "name a compressor you like".

TDR Feedback Compressor is a solid choice for me too IMO. I suspect it's a little more complex than what you're looking for, but it's one of those compressors where it's difficult to make it sound bad. The sweet spot in which it sounds smooth and clean is huge, and it's pretty forgiving if you overdo it - always a good thing when people are new to compression. You could advise your students to pick (whatever) preset and then simply tweak threshold to fit the input level.

MJUC jr is another solid choice as it's ultra-simple and sounds great on vocals. There is some colour in there, but it's not hugely in your face.

I teach a small introductory audio production course, and over time I felt it necessary to compile an up-to-date easy-to-understand inventory of a number of quality 64-bit plugins for my students. There are compressors on the list, naturally. I sorted everything by type and function, as well as platform compatibility.

Here's what I have so far (not sure if the link or formatting will work):
Free Plugins

Hope it was helpful!

BRBWaffles wrote:I teach a small introductory audio production course, and over time I felt it necessary to compile an up-to-date easy-to-understand inventory of a number of quality 64-bit plugins for my students. There are compressors on the list, naturally. I sorted everything by type and function, as well as platform compatibility.

Here's what I have so far (not sure if the link or formatting will work):
Free Plugins

Hope it was helpful!

Thanks a lot for sharing!

I am putting together a movie on how to use MuLab in an educational setting and why I feel it works so well in that respect. Will let you know when I am finished with it. :)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

nineofkings wrote:
jens wrote:
nineofkings wrote:
jens wrote:

Good tools are good tools :shrug:. This fits the OP better than, say, ReaComp, being suggested here anyway because these threads eventually become "name a compressor you like".
Thanks to both "camps". I agree it is really as easy as a compressor can be, and thanks for mentioning the possible legal issues which may be a concern for us.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

If 32bit only and a (at least seemingly) halted development are really not a problem for you, I would still much rather suggest Progresscomp than Camelcrusher. It is dead easy to use yet quite versatile, sounds great and is very light on the CPU - and it is avilable from the company's own website:

http://progressaudio.co.uk/Products.html
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”