ARC System 2.5 with MEMS microphone Now Shipping

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ARC System 2.5 with MEMS microphone coming soon

The advanced room correction system now featuring a new ultra-precise MEMS microphone

IK is proud to announce the new ARC System 2.5 with MEMS microphone, which will be available for shipping in July 2017. ARC 2.5 is the only acoustic correction system that combines a highly accurate MEMS measurement microphone, measurement software along with an audio correction plug-in to improve the sound reliability and acoustics of your studio in an elegant, low-cost portable solution.

The new ultra-accurate MEMS measurement microphone works together with the room correction software to achieve greater correction accuracy than ever before with a precision of +/- 0.5 dB, (previous ARC microphones will also be supported.) IK is the leader in MEMS technology for audio applications and manufactures the microphone in Italy with an omnidirectional type capsule that ensures maximum response accuracy and stability over time, in contrast to standard condenser measurement microphones which can exhibit frequency response variations from manufacturing or with age.

ARC System 2.5 with MEMS microphone works by measuring your room using the included MEMS measurement microphone and measurement software and then generates an algorithm to provide a correction of your room’s acoustic problems that you can apply to your mix using the included plug-in. You can record and mix with confidence knowing that what you hear from your speakers is a faithful representation of how your music will translate to the outside world.

Since 2007, IK Multimedia’s ARC System has been leading the way in terms of true affordability and professional reliability. With literally thousands of users worldwide, from music enthusiasts and independent producers to studio and acoustic engineers, ARC has become an absolute industry standard that continues to amaze for its ease of use and unquestionable effectiveness.

Pricing and availability
ARC 2.5 with MEMS microphone will be available in July 2017. Current ARC 2 users can upgrade to software version 2.5 for free (Mac/PC), for added compatibility with the new MEMS microphone model whereas ARC 1 and ARC TDM users can upgrade their software for as low as $/€ 49.99*.

Anyone who would like a new boxed version of ARC 2.5 with MEMS microphone and have previously purchased any IK product of a minimum value of $/€ 99.99* can take advantage of a special cross-grade price of only $/€ 149.99* instead of the regular pricing $/€ 199.99*

The MEMS measurement microphone can be purchased separately at $/€ 69.99*

Learn more about ARC 2.5 with MEMS microphone:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/arc

* All prices excluding taxes. Audyssey, Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 are registered trademarks property of Audyssey Laboratories Inc. used under license.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I would be interested to hear real KVR users feedback on V2 as to how well this works.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I tried it, it works well (talking 2.0 here). Also the other speaker modeling, albeit it takes a long time to convert your measurements to the new filter curve. Especially if you do this the first time in your project.

However a couple of things that were/are not mentioned with this announcement (and got confirmed to me via Twitter):
  • the old mics are supposed to still work (this might change with v3)
  • this is still a "plugin only", no room correction on a driver level (see the competition, like Sonarworks)
  • from my understanding, still only a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker setup
  • it is unclear if you have to re-measure your room again (due to another overhaul of the "accuracy"
Add to that, that the update took 4(!) flipping years (v2.1 dropped June 2013 according to the KVR database) and we still don't have a driver implementation (requested by users since v1) and/or Surround support/implementation (announced at Musikmesse 2007 - so 10 years ago!)...

Also, ARC was barely on sale at all in recent years. Only Amplitube and T-Racks with Group Buys or Deals up and down. Who knows if v3 is already in the pipe and this is just an announcement to say "hay, here is v2.5 - we'll drop v3 in 2-3 months". You will never know for sure - so it's food for thought.

Though one good thing - the price dropped drastically over the years (the competition doesn't sleep!). Originally it was nearly 600EUR incl VAT, then it dropped to 400EUR street, by v2 we dropped to 250EUR (300EUR incl VAT), now we're down to 200EUR (242EUR incl VAT) incl. the microphone.

I think this is enough information to decide for yourself if this is worth it to you. I can (and will) only speak for myself, not anybody else. I'm still happy with what I have on my rig on this particular behalf.

And before you ask, yes... the measurement microphone can be used for other tasks as well. It's a small diaphragm condenser unidirectional microphone after all.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Very helpful, thank you for taking the time to write it. It seems a fair price (with the Mike) if it works particularly as it offers other listening environments.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Keep in mind, I'm talking "old mic", "testing v2" and setting it up at client rigs as well.

Also... ARC needs to be active all the time on either your listening channel (Cubase for example, Control Room) or your master bus. In the latter case, you need to turn it off while rendering. There is no "auto off while rendering" - unless that was implemented in v2.5

Additionally - ARC alone is not the "holy grail" to your room issues. Setting up the speakers at a good position and having at least minimal room correction should be mandatory. Then ARC covers a lot of the remaining problems in your listening hotspot.

EDIT: Sometimes I wish I'd be paid for all this ARC promo...
Last edited by Compyfox on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

That's good, my listening environment is Ok in terms of a listening triangle and some accoustic treatment (mainly for bass and some some reflection) but at the price point of ARC 2.5 I would be interested to see what correction is needed and how well other environments (car radio etc) are modelled.

I don't remember a Car Radio, but definitely crap PC speakers... Barely used this feature - only ever so often due to the long load times and sometimes irritating audio results. But it's good to cross check for "lack of bass" indeed.

You do need to get used to the "altered sound" with ARC however - which is why I'm annoyed that this still isn't on a driver/wrapper level - especially if you use your computer for more than just songwriting/engineering.

Very good news. I am glad they finally did the update. Will order new mic soon.

Peter, the mic will be available only directly from IKM?

Compyfox wrote:You do need to get used to the "altered sound" with ARC however - which is why I'm annoyed that this still isn't on a driver/wrapper level - especially if you use your computer for more than just songwriting/engineering.
That's always been the biggest issue preventing me from jumping on board. I do a fair amount of listening outside of the DAW on my system, and I don't want an ARC profile that only operates in my DAW and not on any other playback sources.

Also, my room is fairly well treated (needs some additional corner tapping and maybe some ceiling absorption) and I almost think it's just better to adjust to your room and mix to it.

ARC is just the icing on the cake - though I've used it in very extreme/untreated rooms and it somewhat worked. But it will not(!) cover the decay time of your room.

DMG68 wrote:Peter, the mic will be available only directly from IKM?
Yes, this microphone will only be available directly.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
DMG68 wrote:Peter, the mic will be available only directly from IKM?
Yes, this microphone will only be available directly.
That being the case, how will you handle worldwide shipping costs?

Living in Canada, depending in the postage (which is usually costly), it may make this a no go for me.

Speaking of shipping, the minimum price to ship anything to the U.S. is $15, even if it's a case for the iloud (which weighs probably less than a pound). That's a LOT for shipping. Is everything shipped from overseas?

Will the highly-touted, new U.S. facility do anything to lower the shipping costs?

EDIT: The shipping for the case is now $12.99. That's still a lot to ship a small travel bag.

jsp1979 wrote:Speaking of shipping, the minimum price to ship anything to the U.S. is $15, even if it's a case for the iloud (which weighs probably less than a pound). That's a LOT for shipping. Is everything shipped from overseas?

Will the highly-touted, new U.S. facility do anything to lower the shipping costs?

EDIT: The shipping for the case is now $12.99. That's still a lot to ship a small travel bag.
Worse for me if it does come from the U.S. and they don't use U.S.Post. All the couriers have this scam called a "brokerage fee" for collecting duty and taxes. One time the total $65 which a $45 to collect $20 worth I'd duties. U.S. Post does not charge this ( you get a bill later) so I hope IK will have some options on this.

Return to “Effects”