CPU, chipset, mobo, ram. for low-latency DAW

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use cubase 8, windows 7.
lots of VI and vst effects etc.
need low latency while tracking and recording midi VIs.

i was leaning more towards i7-7700k.

but im open to the cpu thats under $400 abd best sweetspot between cost and speed (low latency).

also, what mobo / chipset should i go for ?
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

I tried Xeon E5s for intergrated PCI, and getting some PCI cards for various things, for lowering latency, etc. DPC latency got lower, but It seems the hardware isn´t making much difference, with typical OS´s and apps, so you might aswell just buy some standard PC. Unless playing Doom 3 perfectly is what you want, which was possible, with a custom minimal processes XP, running it. (Doom 3 uses three passes pr. frame, so it is jitter sensitive).

On Linux, the latency of 0.33ms could be used, but was cpu expensive. With a kernel configured for low jitter, and it felt great, and I looked forward to even lower latencies, as that would feel like playing hardware. ("instant").

I use an RME FF400 and get 2ms at 64 samples. On a 5 year old i5.

Yeah, latency is down to your audio drivers. CPU is all about how much you can run at that latency.

I have Steinberg ur44.

Sometimes on big projects I get CPU overload even on highest latencies.

My current system is i7-920 @3.8ghz, 24gb ram,

Definitely need to upgrade my audio PC

if i go with 7700k cpu.
and z270 chipset.
Im looking at these ASUS mobos:

PRIME Z270-A
STRIX Z270-E GAMING
STRIX Z270F
TUF Z270 MARK 1

is there any advantage fro DAW users to go with higher end ASUS mobos like MAXIMUS, STRIX and GAMING models ?

If you're plugin heavy per channel (i.e. serialized), then you want to optimize for higher single-core clock-speed.

nonnaci wrote:If you're plugin heavy per channel (i.e. serialized), then you want to optimize for higher single-core clock-speed.
So what CPU and motherboard combo would be a better option?

MFXxx wrote:
nonnaci wrote:If you're plugin heavy per channel (i.e. serialized), then you want to optimize for higher single-core clock-speed.
So what CPU and motherboard combo would be a better option?
i7-7700k is fine at 4.5 GHz turbo. Mobo has other considerations such as form factor, ram slots, GPU size you want to fit, and future proofing (support from manufacture if things go south).

Yes. Especially master bus like ozone and other high latency vsts.

So what mobo, chipset and ram ?

Im pretty clueless and learning the ropes with the new tech. What impact or advantages in having more lanes for daw work or is this simply provisions for games and multiple GPU cards? Thanks.

PS Was looking at the 6850s but it seems the newer Ks are going to work out around the same price (in comparison to a month or so back)
Just as an example https://secure.scan.co.uk/web/basket
And no need for a GPU as I understand unlike the 6850s?

Just throwing it out there as Ive been pondering and sitting on the fence for a few months to see what evolves with Intel post AMD multi-cores.

The motherboard choices are daunting!

I just built a new machine after plenty of research (replacing my very overworked laptop).
MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard
i7 7700K Quad Core LGA 1151 4.2 GHz Unlocked
m.2 500Gb boot drive W10 + SSDs
There's always new tech around the corner but this seemed a good compromise to get something to last maybe four or five years.

Richard deHove wrote:I just built a new machine after plenty of research (replacing my very overworked laptop).
MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard
i7 7700K Quad Core LGA 1151 4.2 GHz Unlocked
m.2 500Gb boot drive W10 + SSDs
There's always new tech around the corner but this seemed a good compromise to get something to last maybe four or five years.
But asus has easy overclocking modes on most motherboards.

Also, What ram did you chose ?

So I'm settled on:
Asus strix 270E gaming motherboard.
Intel I7-7700k cpu.

Now deciding on what would be best ram for DAW,
and m.2 or ssd is drive

Thinking of starting off with 32gb ram (2x16gb), and later if needed upgrade to 64gb.

Are there certain ram models better than the other for DAW use ? Besides ram size

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”