Dead Duck Software - opinions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Classic Instruments Free Effects

swatwork wrote:
BRBWaffles wrote:This bundle is sizable and very worthy competition for some very expensive bundles out there. I'm curious to know what your motivation is for not choosing to profit from it? Even offering the bundle at $10 per person with free upgrades and additions, there's a lot to be gained.
Well I originally wrote most of these plugins as a learning exercise so commercial exploitation wasn't my primary motivation. Also, I think this type of 'bread and butter' plugin is pretty well represented in the market (as well as being bundled in most DAWs) so trying to sell yet another collection would be difficult.

Instead, it made more sense to just release them as freeware. I like the idea of a sort of 'starter kit' bundle that can cover all the basics in a single download.
BRBWaffles wrote:I mean, at the very least include a donate button on the info panel of each plugin, haha.
There's a donation button on the Dead Duck blog. ;)
That makes sense. Thank you immensely for your hard work. It means a lot to someone as broke as me, haha. You'll certainly be getting a donation from me in the future!

I had a suggestion for the overdrive plugin. Would it be feasible to have a link toggle that would link the drive and level parameters so that the level came down in lockstep with the drive going up? It would also be really cool to get a simple IR plugin. Something to play impulse responses with just a wet knob or something. What do you think?

kinwie wrote: It is indeed that the mouse-scroll not working on me (PT10, Fxpansion adapter), but I don't need it anyway :)
Because I'm afraid it will also take the Space bar (transport) function away too.
It is happened now, my Space Bar transport play key has been taken away :help: :help: :help:

I know I can't blame the VST, because I use it as RTAS with the Fxpansion adapter.
Couple years ago I also write to Jeroen @ToneBoosters, asking about this case, if the Space Bar key can be excluded fron the VST's focus, but he seems can't do anything to it.

Some example VST plugins that I use daily that have mouse-wheel feature, but don't steal the Space Bar key : TAL, TDR and Pecheneg Tremolo. So I guess it is possible to exclude the space bar from the plugin focus.

I just make a report. Just in case you want to make a fix. Otherwise, I can always use the version 1.3.1.

And the the DeEsser is very nice, working differently than other I've got. The purple knobs look very sexy!! More zillion thanks, swatwork!!

The DD Dynamics Suite has been completed :tu: :tu: :tu:

kinwie wrote:It is happened now, my Space Bar transport play key has been taken away :help: :help: :help:
OK, this is probably caused by the mouse-wheel change.

Most of the hosts I've tested seem to be OK; mouse-wheel and spacebar work correctly in Cubase, Reaper and Ableton Live, but not in Mixcraft and T5, so it's not so much a bug as a compatibility issue. It seems some hosts take direct control of the keyboard while others leave it to the plugin.

Rather than try to hack something up and risk breaking the hosts that do work, I've created an alternative release which includes all the latest changes except for the mouse-wheel fix. So if you want to sacrifice mouse-wheel support to get keyboard focus back you can try these:

[Edit: links removed as no longer valid]

These are direct links to the files, the latest versions are still available via the KvR product pages.
kinwie wrote:And the the DeEsser is very nice, working differently than other I've got.
The DeEsser is actually a split-band compressor - the signal is split into low- and high-frequency bands and compression is applied to the upper band. Adjust the freq knob so that the upper band includes the frequencies you want to 'de-ess' and use 'threshold' and 'amount' to control the amount of compression applied.
Last edited by swatwork on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swatwork wrote: OK, this is probably caused by the mouse-wheel change.

Most of the hosts I've tested seem to be OK; mouse-wheel and spacebar work correctly in Cubase, Reaper and Ableton Live, but not in Mixcraft and T5, so it's not so much a bug as a compatibility issue. It seems some hosts take direct control of the keyboard while others leave it to the plugin.

Rather than try to hack something up and risk breaking the hosts that do work, I've created an alternative release which includes all the latest changes except for the mouse-wheel fix. So if you want to sacrifice mouse-wheel support to get keyboard focus back you can try these:

http://static.kvraudio.com/files/2274/d ... _1_3_2.zip
http://static.kvraudio.com/files/2274/d ... _1_2_2.zip

These are direct links to the files, the latest versions are still available via the KvR product pages.
Thank you for bring back my space-bar :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
Have the v1.3.2 tested and it is perfect, yes I better sacrifice the wheel rather than the bar :tu: You are absolutely amazing plugin developer!!
swatwork wrote: The DeEsser is actually a split-band compressor - the signal is split into low- and high-frequency bands and compression is applied to the upper band. Adjust the freq knob so that the upper band includes the frequencies you want to 'de-ess' and use 'threshold' and 'amount' to control the amount of compression applied.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
The DeEsser is sounded great and bit different to my ears and like it a lot.
Will try to use it on different recorded materials with various mics.

swatwork wrote: The DeEsser is actually a split-band compressor - the signal is split into low- and high-frequency bands and compression is applied to the upper band. Adjust the freq knob so that the upper band includes the frequencies you want to 'de-ess' and use 'threshold' and 'amount' to control the amount of compression applied.
Wouldn't it be even better, if there were 3 bands, so that you could use the middle band for de-essing and set a low frequency cutoff and a high frequency cutoff point?

Izak Synthiemental wrote:
Wouldn't it be even better, if there were 3 bands, so that you could use the middle band for de-essing and set a low frequency cutoff and a high frequency cutoff point?
It would, but that kind of sophistication costs extra ;)

swatwork wrote:
Adding another, non-functional upper band costs extra? You mean in terms of CPU or is that a hint to an upcoming payware product?

swatwork wrote:
Adding another, non-functional upper band costs extra? You mean in terms of CPU or is that a hint to an upcoming payware product?
It means it's more work than I'm prepared to do right now.

@swatwork

Okay, no worry. You have no obligations towards anyone. Thanks for your great plugin collection!

P.S. I have no clue about DSP programming and I have the greatest respect for you guys who are able to code such effects. From my amateur perspective, I would have thought of adding another upper band as being fairly easy, if the code already contains instructions to separate the bands at a given frequency.

Izak Synthiemental wrote:From my amateur perspective, I would have thought of adding another upper band as being fairly easy, if the code already contains instructions to separate the bands at a given frequency.
It probably is actually, now that I come to think about it.... urghh, you've got me thinking about it! I should stay away from this forum :hihi:

swatwork wrote:
Izak Synthiemental wrote:From my amateur perspective, I would have thought of adding another upper band as being fairly easy, if the code already contains instructions to separate the bands at a given frequency.
It probably is actually, now that I come to think about it.... urghh, you've got me thinking about it! I should stay away from this forum :hihi:
Nice! :D :o

swatwork wrote:
Uh Izak, a classic leverage to the benefit of all, not bad ...
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Omkar wrote:
swatwork wrote:
Uh Izak, a classic leverage to the benefit of all, not bad ...
Sadly not...

I tried adding a third band, it wasn't so difficult after all, but all it did was turn the DeEsser into a notch filter completely undermining the effect of the compressor. So I'm afraid it'll have to remain a 2-band effect.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

swatwork wrote:Sadly not...

I tried adding a third band, it wasn't so difficult after all, but all it did was turn the DeEsser into a notch filter completely undermining the effect of the compressor. So I'm afraid it'll have to remain a 2-band effect.

How about a dynamic EQ for de-essing?
It's easy if you know how

swatwork wrote:
Omkar wrote:
swatwork wrote:
Uh Izak, a classic leverage to the benefit of all, not bad ..
Sadly not...
I tried adding a third band, it wasn't so difficult after all, but all it did was turn the DeEsser into a notch filter completely undermining the effect of the compressor. So I'm afraid it'll have to remain a 2-band effect..
Too bad. But thanks for trying!

Return to “Effects”