Roland beat Behringer to Mini clone with Boutique SE-02??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Moog clone".
You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvilDragon wrote:384 patches, but just 128 are "user". Hopefully factory patches can be overwritten as well. I cannot for the life of me understand why Roland (and Yamaha too) still hold on to this antiquated method of patch management. Everything should be overwriteable!
Rewriteable memory is more expensive.

Also, ROMs are manufactured in the same kinds of "increments" as other kinds of memory. So let's say, for example, that the actual design ends up requiring 5 mb of ROM for whatever hard code is needed for patch management and what-not. That would require an 8 mb ROM, which would have 3 mb of empty space. Plenty of space for factory patches at zero additional manufacturing cost. That's where something like the 384 factory patches go. Separately, they need to provide rewritable non-volatile memory for user patches, and they provided enough for 128 of them; it would presumably cost more to add more. If they can't charge any more accordingly, and don't believe it would cost them any sales to leave it out, there's not much motivation for them to increase their parts cost in exchange for reduced profit per unit and likely no offsetting additional sales to make up for it.
zvenx wrote:But why not give us 512 or even 1024 sound banks, and keep the 128 un-writeable if they want to.
Would that cost so much more to manufacture?
Even besides the cost mentioned (and the lack of motivation to increase costs for something that is unlikely to increase sales), there's are also other possible design issues. Like, it's a tiny box, presumably pretty crammed with circuitry. Is there even room for an additional memory chip? Would that additional chip generate more heat that they would need to be concerned with? What about front panel design? i.e. if you might want to add more rewriteable patches and also keep the presets, you need buttons/interface to be designed to be able to select another bank of patches.

Point is... there are lots of considerations, it's not necessarily as simple as "make them all rewriteable" or "add more rewriteable locations."

They are pretty good at milking the future.
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Rappo Clappo wrote:They are pretty good at milking the future.
And here I thought they were milking the past. ;-)

Put in my pre-order for one today. I owned an original Model D back in the 80's and this thing absolutely reminds me of the character of it. We shall see.

David

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but I read today the Behringer dropped to $299

https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-mo ... er-for-299

seamoss wrote:Not sure if this has already been mentioned but I read today the Behringer dropped to $299

https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-mo ... er-for-299
Cool...let the analogue price wars begin :tu:

I received a newsletter from Moog that the stop production of the Medel D re-issue:
The Final Countdown: Minimoog Model D Production Ending

Today, we announce that after a whirlwind year back in production, our limited re-issue run of the iconic Minimoog Model D synthesizer is coming to a fast end. To commemorate the close of production of the world’s first portable synthesizer, we invited prolific producer Mike Dean to spend one day creating a new Minimoog Model D track in the Moog Factory in Asheville, NC. Dean arrived in the factory last Monday at noon, and wrote and recorded the new track Three Jewels on the build line while Moog production engineers crafted some of the final Model D synthesizers beside him. With the track completed in just five hours, Dean walked out of the Moog factory with its employees at the end of their shift--last year Dean spent a weekend at the Moog factory, crafting Grande Faucon in 48 hours.
While long ago i owned and sold a real Mini and much later a Slim Phatty (sold in 2015) personally i am very happy with Synapse Audio The Legend as a replacement.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Behringer @ $299 is looking like it may get added to my Eurorack :tu: Can go next to my Mother 32 :evil:

Not interested in the SE-02, presets are for wimps (kidding!) and I am more interested in the CV than the sequencer, but if your not in to modular then the SE looks pretty cool.

Great time to be a synth fan.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeah, I'd say that the Behringer is generally better suited than the Roland for studio setups, the Roland is better suited than the Berhinger for live rigs.

Just saw a video of the roland se 02.... its TINY!!!

No good for my fingers...

AnX wrote:Just saw a video of the roland se 02.... its TINY!!!

It has full MIDI support for the knobs ... But, from what I've seen, guys with big fingers don't have an issue.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
AnX wrote:Just saw a video of the roland se 02.... its TINY!!!

It has full MIDI support for the knobs ... But, from what I've seen, guys with big fingers don't have an issue.
MIDI? Its got knobs...you want to get hands on. Its far too easy to knock other knobs when trying to squeeze your fingers in.

Apart from that, it really is too small. In a live situation, it would be a pain. ( a bit like eurorack stuff)

So where can I buy the VST ? :(

AnX wrote:MIDI? Its got knobs...
A benefit of MIDI in this case is that you can use different knobs. Like in the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCGsMjx1inM
you can see that he mapped the most frequently needed live performance controls to other knobs on his controller.
AnX wrote:it really is too small. In a live situation, it would be a pain.
I would use its own knobs at home, for programming sounds. Live, I would recall presets and do live manipulation with remapped controls as in that video.

The bigger knobs of the Behringer are nicer, of course, and that's part of why I said I would pick that one for home studio use. But for live, it's not so great, having to turn a dozen knobs to get to your next sound instead of hitting a preset recall button. That's why, in the old original Minimoog days, bands had multiple Minimoogs on stage and/or did not use them for many different sounds within a show. Presets open up a lot more live usability.

Another cool difference with the Roland is that you can chain multiple units for polyphony.

Return to “Instruments”