First experience with Audio Units iOS: (GarageBand plus iSymphonic)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, after switching to an iPad model 2017, there's enough power to actually do it :-)
Some nice orchestra sounds would be handy, so I got me iSymphonic.
I created a short Garage Band project with 8 bars and created some tracks with GB Instruments (Drummer, Alchemy, eGuitar, String section plus some more)
Plus 1 track with iSymphonic. Loading times for 1 iSymphonic sound seemed quite high, but I guess there is a lot of MBs involved.

Downpoint one: There is no visual feedback which shows that the sound patch has loaded. In standalone mode it does show % progress.

Downpoint 2: I started the function mix track. (Don't know if that is what it's called in englished, I am running GB in german. It's the function to turn the MIDI-/instrument-track into an audio track). And the resulting audio file is curruped, several areas without any sound)

So please share your experinces here and solutions, if there is one :-)

tele

P.S: I should try with my other AU Synth iSEM and see, if it's the same behaviour...
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

Today I played a little with iSem + GarageBand using iSem as an AU plugin.
the funtion mix track (e.g. creade Audio track from Instrument track) worked fine.

But ther was another issue: Whenever I played an arpeggiated sound, it never stop when releasing the note.

Hmm, I am starting to be disappointed with the current state of "life with AU on iOS" ;-)

tele

The unfortunate experience continues.
Started a GarageBand Projekt with just 3 tracks, 8 bars.
1 GBDrummer, 1 Alchemy, 1 Arturia iSEM. Now GarageBand doesn't manage to open that project again.

How is AU iOS working for you?
It's probably got to do with - that I got a new iPad with current releases of software and just the current state is not so stable, but it was in earlier versions?

@telebunke:

You'll get a better response for iOS questions on the Audiobus forum.

http://www.forum.audiob.us

Maybe the issue is with Garageband? I've only used AU with Cubasis.

Do you have any iRig gear? You can use an increasing amount of hardware to "unlock" the demo of Cubasis LE. In my case it was my iRig Pro. That'll give you a chance to have a better look at it and see how it behaves compares to Garageband. Or you could just dive in and buy the full Cubasis, but it's always nice to be able to demo stuff first.
Image Image Image Image

Comparing with Cubasis would be possible for me.
I actually own it, just did not install,it on my new iPad yet.
But, unless they changed it, the touchscreen keyboard is much better in GarageBand.
In Cubasis, here was no "hide" mode, where you just have the keys of the selected scale left. Which is, what I almost always use. I am not good with keyboards, but started to feel comfortable with the touch screen playing.

Plus the Alchemy Synth plus the Smart instruments plus the drummers in GB are cool quick tools for nailing down ideas.

I believe the problem is with isymphonic. I have one of their other plugins and have the same problem. Their plugins will not bounce

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”