Acoustic Grand Piano libraries/emulations: An Overview (audio demos of some pianos added)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Besides Pianoteq I have all Native Instruments Piano Libs: Grandeur, Maverick, Gentleman, Giant, UnaCorda, Alicia's Keys plus Soniccouture Xtended Piano (by the way: that's totally crazy stuff) plus minor libs.

They are all awesome but do I really need more? They are different, yes, but will they sound that different in a full mix? They are all fully tweakable. So sound can massivly altered.

I love to have these alternatives because I'm a plugin hunter and gatherer but honestly: I don't need it from an artistic point of view! Sorry...

If you like Soniccouture Xtended Piano, have a look at SampleLogic Cinematic Keys. Wonderful.

so, noone remembers/knows if Steinberg The Grand 1 was actually based on a Kawai piano?
We are the true makers of our destiny.

After finally paying for the Roland Cloud subscription (currently mostly for using the new D-50 emulation...) i just installed the Roland "Tera Piano" which is a lib ray for their "Concerto" sample playback plugin which is currently at v3.2.

The "Tera Piano" is currently based on a *.rvr file that in Windows 10 has to be located at:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\RolandVS\Instruments

The *.rvr file currently has a compressed size of 974 MB.

Here is a screenshot of the Tera Piano inside the Concerto VST2 plugin:
https://u53230726.dl.dropboxusercontent ... rto_01.png

FWIW the new "Tera Guitar" and the "Anthology" libraries are based on those *.rvr files loaded in Concerto too.

I could not tell much about the sound quality of teh Tera Piano yet as i just installed it and i also do not know how far the "Rainlink" feature already works which AFAIK should provide a TB sized piano via cloud computing.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Is there some high quality audio demos of this Tera Piano ? (With and without rainlink)
I've only found so far not so good NAMM video demos.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote:Is there some high quality audio demos of this Tera Piano ? (With and without rainlink)
I've only found so far not so good NAMM video demos.
For the moment, the Rainlink isn't more than "vaporware", AFAIK.
Fernando (FMR)

I just had a serious problem while trying to render a demo track with Tera Piano.
When playing in realtime CPU use is no problem but when rendering a WAV file it seems to overload my i5 Quad Core CPU (at all 4 cores).
This was resulting in crashes of the host (Live 9) and if not the resulting WAV file had serious "crackling" that you usually get when a plugin overloads the CPU.

I had alraedfy used a quite high buffers of 512 and even 1024 but still the same result.
While Tera Piano sounds quite nice and works nicely in realtime this makes the plugin quite unusable.

Never had a similar problem with the other piano libraries i used so far.

Will try to check the settings in Tera Piano further.

UPDATE:
Also reducing the maximum voices in the Concerto player did not help yet...
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: While Tera Piano sounds quite nice and works nicely in realtime this makes the plugin quite unusable.

Never had a similar problem with the other piano libraries i used so far.

Will try to check the settings in Tera Piano further.

UPDATE:
Also reducing the maximum voices in the Concerto player did not help yet...
I wonder what the hell did they test it with...
Fernando (FMR)

Well... one could always install trusty ol' Hubi's MIDI Loopback drivers, dig up some patch cables for the audio interface, and record concerto realtime in it's own host... hm I wonder if it supports Rewire???

:lol:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

kbaccki wrote:Well... one could always install trusty ol' Hubi's MIDI Loopback drivers, dig up some patch cables for the audio interface, and record concerto realtime in it's own host... hm I wonder if it supports Rewire???

:lol:
Actually te idea is not bad while the solution seems to be more simple.

As in realtime it seems to work i could just play the MIDI in Live 9 and record the audio output of the instrument to an audio track in realime. I could then do playback of that audio track while rendering a WAV file. I am currently checking that option.

I'll post an audio demo when it worked as intended.
Ingo Weidner

Wow.
Ingonator, Thank You.

I sort of wish I found this before last weekend as I just bought EW Quantum Leap pianos...but hopefully it will just prove that I got the one that I think sounds best :)

I'm not reading a lot of favorable reviews of this "sampled" Tera piano. What exactly did they sample? I tried to start some discussion about this in the D50 thread, I'm not sure this is the right place either, but, their language couldn't be more vague.
The distinctive lineage that produced Tera Piano shows a family tree with all the right relatives in all the right places. Born of a legendary and timeless Piano. Captured and painstakingly nurtured by world renowned and award winning composers. Dressed elegantly and presented in a player designed and architected by hand-picked engineers from many known and beloved platforms. Adopted by you, the creator. It's going to be a long and happy life.
Talk about bullshit!

It could very well translate to
We had this one V-Piano Grand sitting in a corner of our studio and used this to generate all these terabytes of samples. You won't notice anyway
:D

Kumi_27 wrote:It could very well translate to
We had this one V-Piano Grand sitting in a corner of our studio and used this to generate all these terabytes of samples. You won't notice anyway
:D
Well yes, I presented that very idea in the D50 thread. I would not be surprised if that, or an extension of that, is actually what it is.

Joe Garfield wrote:Wow.
Ingonator, Thank You.

I sort of wish I found this before last weekend as I just bought EW Quantum Leap pianos...but hopefully it will just prove that I got the one that I think sounds best :)
Besides the problems with rendering a WAV file ( i was now able to record an audio track of teh Tera PIano audio outout in realtime...) i am not sure i actually like the sound of Tera Piano while IMO it is not bad indeed. At the end it's not about library sizes and some other technical stuff but about how it sounds and if it is playable (velocity behavior).

My favorites so far were VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 (Most used one here at the moment), NI The Grandeur and NI Alicia's Keys.

What i am quite sure about is that i would not have bought Tera Piano as a separate product but as it is included with the montly subscription it was worth checking it.
Will re-check it later but now i am more interested in playing with the the new D-50 plugin... :hyper:
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”