Vengeance Producer Suite - AVENGER - 1.8.5 the main thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger

EnochLight wrote:It makes absolutely no sense from a workflow perspective to have the mod matrix at the upper left on top. Zero. None.

A mod matrix is pretty much universally the last thing you do in a signal change, hence the reason why you'll often find it at the bottom or at the end. I mean, I'm all for expanding its size so we can see the parameters better, but I can't see the logic in moving it to the top left - especially where the preset browser is! :dog:
Excluding the matrix from being in the top-left seems like a poor choice to me. The beauty is that you wouldn't need to click the matrix tab till you were ready to use it. To recap: the move would give you have access to the LFOs (which are commonly used) whilst editing the matrix as both can be seen at once, rather than having to switch tabs. This has the added benefit of being able to see the visual modulation feedback as you set matrix LFO values. Moving the matrix anywhere other than the top-left would basically reintroduce the same tab-switching issue that would be overcome by moving it away from the LFOs (other elements would not be able to be seen simultaneously). For this reason, I chose the top-left tabs as they are rarely used: once you've found a preset, or loaded your samples, it's uncommon to revisit that area of the UI / switch those tabs for the current instance of Avenger. So having the matrix exist there I believe is more practical as it can be the selected tab for the duration of your patching, or whenever you're ready to use it. Plus you avoid (what I see as another issue) needing the matrix to be an expandable UI element which then covers parts of the UI underneath, a big reason why I liked the idea of moving the matrix over having it be expandable. Anything to reduce the feeling of menu-diving, the better. So to my rationale, there are a few good reasons for moving it, at least more than zero.

I'm with exmatproton - just leave it where it is and give it a tab that allows it to pop-out into a larger display. Problem solved. No need to reinvent the wheel, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

+1 for upper left

I don't care at all about working from "left to right". May be they should do an asian (top to bottom + right to left) skin as well? ;-)

But I do care about making best use of given space. And moving the matrix to the upper left would - as already mentioned - give more space for the matrix + make the LFO visible all the time.
WIN10 / FL Studio 12.4
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz / 12 GB DDR3 RAM / AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz / 2 GB RAM / 28" 4k screen

Regarding the Mod Matrix, here's another option:

Instead of a pop up window, it could be a pop out extension of the existing GUI, with the extension out to the right. This extension would allow the Mod Matrix height to be the same as the rest of the GUI.

Seeing how the Avenger GUI is already large, and can take up one's entire screen, height-wise, extending the width of the GUI while the Mod Matrix is in pop-out mode might be acceptable.

[quote="msvs"]Once the Granular Synthesis is done, we will discuss about that and find a good solution, guys :)[quote]

Back when Phalanx was released, I asked about time stretching loops to host tempo. You answered that "We plan to make a dedicated loop sampler in the future".

Is that still the case, can it be implemented into avenger or has the idea been dropped?

OzoneJunkie wrote:Regarding the Mod Matrix, here's another option:

Instead of a pop up window, it could be a pop out extension of the existing GUI, with the extension out to the right. This extension would allow the Mod Matrix height to be the same as the rest of the GUI.

Seeing how the Avenger GUI is already large, and can take up one's entire screen, height-wise, extending the width of the GUI while the Mod Matrix is in pop-out mode might be acceptable.
This -^

I personally dislike pop up windows... will never happen, sorry

msvs wrote:I personally dislike pop up windows... will never happen, sorry
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

it seems you misunderstood (or I misunderstood): I mean an independant new window which can be dragged around, which lies over the normal GUI and where you can make adjustments in it. I dont like this. What you posted is just a big mouse-over info box - I am fine with that (obviously :D)

I thought I read about updating plans for Glitchbitch and Tapestop many months ago on gearslutz. I was about preset handling. Is this still on? And will there be updates to the fx1 bundle (like bitcrusher jitter from avenger)? And what about the multiband sidechain timing issues? ^^ Nothing against Avenger and the new euphoria in the team but what about older products and existing customers?

The pop-out extension I suggested isn't a popup window. I don't know if you were responding to that.

The idea being that if you clicked a button (arrow, whatever), the Avenger window itself would extend the width of the window to the right, with essentially what would be a new column for the Mod Matrix. This would then give you the entire height of Avenger to work with for the Mod Matrix.

EDIT: Image-Line Harmor does this for the Spectral View (on the right, in the second image):

Last edited by OzoneJunkie on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

@msvs: I don't know how to embed video on this board, but I think @OzoneJunkie was referring to something like this, which is quite cool imho:

https://vimeo.com/223032526

sircuit wrote:@msvs: I don't know how to embed video on this board, but I think @OzoneJunkie was referring to something like this, which is quite cool imho:

https://vimeo.com/223032526
Yup, exactly. Thanks sircuit :tu:

:tu:

I think it might be a great thing to have a 2 level tab navigation and that the whole left column is used.
That way we could see a lot more modulations or presets.
Do we really need to see the presets all the time ?

I guess you get the idea:

Something else, please add more Macro knobs, maybe make the keyboard ridable and instead show more macro knobs :)
Studio One, Logic
macOS
–– -
http://ansolas.de

Return to “Instruments”