What's your favorite phaser VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stillwell Oligarc phaser might be worth a try. It's been awhile since I tried it but I recall that it was definitely not your "standard" in the box phaser.

There is also Xhip phaser. One of the only phaser plugins I actually have installed right now. I like it, YMMV.

Still trying to find a phaser I like the sound of quite as much as the Logic one, although the Soundtoys one is very good

I can dial in the exact sound I want most of the time with Soundtoys Phase Mistress, although sometimes I do find the feedback a bit too resonant in the sense that its hard to get a pronounced feedback without totally overpowering the input signal.

What I have tried so far other than that:

Uhbik-P: I find this is actually a really nice phaser for an airy, smooth type of feedback. Its clearly not trying to be analog, and is great at the niche it fills.
Cubase Phaser: Meh.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

I do not have a particular favorite phaser, but below are the options I use most often:

* D16 Fazortan 2
* Eventide Instant Phaser
* Native Instrument Phasis
* Softube Fix Phaser
* Soundtoys PhaseMistress

Edit: Added D16 Fazortan 2.
Last edited by Silaris on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

I went on a phaser buying spree in the last couple months...analog and hardware guitar pedal form.
I bought used for under $50

-Boss PH-2 MIJ (made in Japan)
- EHX Small Stone Nano
- MXR Phase 90 (modern stock non script version)

Sort of a phaser...
-MXR Univibe
- TC Electronic Viscous Vibe (digital Univibe emulation, but I prefer that to the MXR, that line of TC toneprint effects is awesome and I'm even considering thier Helix phaser). The MXR Univibe is basically a tweaked version of the Phase 90 with 2 stages instead of 4. The MXR sounds great up to the "peak" then gets too thin on the way down, losing that classic low end throb.

I also picked up a Boss BF-2 MIJ analog flanger.

I currently had the digital Boss PH-3 but was never too impressed with it. It's alright for faster rate settings and the weird trippy effects it can produce with the fall/rise/step modes, and also use an expression pedal to control the rate with, but is too thin and like putting a muddy digital blanket over your tone even with a compressor after it and going into a nice tube amp. But I got it for a steal at $25.

I also have the digital Boss CH3 chorus that I also got for $25 with the PH-3 at the same time. It has its uses for subtle thickening and stereo options but it doesnt compare to a nice analog chorus, even a cheap shoddy analog DOD FX-36 Chorus. If I'm going to use a pronounced chorus effect I'll probably get a Leslie rotary effect pedal (currently on the GAS wishlist). I usually get all the chorusy modulation I need when using the Boss DM-3 analog delay.

Also on the GAS list is the MXR Phase 100, for its resonant yet smooth vocal like qualities on slower to mid speed rates, and you can get nice Leslie tones with the rate cranked up faster. The Boss PH-2 can do some of those quacky resonant vocal like tones too with resonance turned up a bit but sometimes they're too harsh and biting.

For software my favorite go to phasers are Big Rock (Small Stone clone), Sound Toys Phase Mistress, and the phasers in the Overloud TH2/3 ampsim, which you can also download in
Free 32bit form in the old Guitar Suite pack. The Line 6 Phaser (Phase 90 emulation) is also pretty good inside the Amp Podfarm plugin suite. But i put them side by side against my analog pedals (even the cheap ones), and the software plugins just lack a real sense of depth and 3D like smoothness and fullness to them.

I play in a reggae dub funk band right now and use my phasers to add lots of slow movement to my cleaner lead and rhythm guitar sounds. I particularly like the TC Vibe and the MXR Phase 90. They also sound lovely with some overdrive or distortion. Yep that's right I have 3-4 phaser type pedals currently on my pedal board, all for different tones and flavors/settings :ud:

But if you have an interface and DAW that allows you to do hardware fx inserts (if using it for soft synths) I'd just get a cheap analog phaser if you want the best sound.
Ymmv

I'd recommend the free HY Phaser now on Mac
http://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-phaser/

and the Adam Szabo free phaser based on the Virus
http://www.adamszabo.com/phazor/

Richard deHove wrote:Seems that the MXR Phase 100 phaser and the EH Polyphase were responsible but neither have been satisfactorily emulated yet.

That led to me to
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... _pack.html

sfxsound3 wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:Seems that the MXR Phase 100 phaser and the EH Polyphase were responsible but neither have been satisfactorily emulated yet.

That led to me to
Interesting, thanks! That Steinberg shop sure is confusing though... :o

Don't really have a favourite - different horses for different courses and all that, but the phaser in Waves GTR is quite nice IMO.

Soundtoys Phase Mistress

Richard deHove wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:

That led to me to
Interesting, thanks! That Steinberg shop sure is confusing though... :o
Those are my favorites, though they fly under the radar here.

TAL Phaser, Adam Szabo's 'Phazor',
STA Phaser and the one in Guitar Gadgets is my favorites. Blue Cat's one is nice too.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Is there a freeware vst phaser out that sounds like ArtsAcoustic BigRock(Small Stone Phaser)?

Simulanalog Univibe is the best, but 32 bit only.

Simulanalog was made by Overloud so ...
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Effects”