If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

Yes, as long as it was reasonably priced.
45%
Maybe, I would consider purchasing it.
18%
No, I don't have any interest in such a product.
27%
Fish
11%

Total votes: 366

RELATED
PRODUCTS

kmonkey wrote:Sorry for being offtopic but people here could know this information.

Does anyone know will they offer (since there's System 8 as a VST plugin) TR-8 software VST version? Any hint on that?
So far at Roland Cloud i did not see any dedicated drum synth plugins but it is possible that they will be added later.

On the other hand the drum synths only seemed to be available as hardware so far. A TB-303 VST is still missing too.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

offtopic. I hope jd880 or jd800 will be also done!!!

without the cloud
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:offtopic. I hope jd880 or jd800 will be also done!!!

without the cloud
The "Anthology 1990" is based on the D-70. JD-800 still seems to be possible but currently it is unlikely that this will be published outside the Cloud.

Currently the wish to have those products available without the subscription seems to be something like "wishful thinking" but we could continue to dream about that...
FWIW as mentioned above for the D-50 i commented on that at Facebook.

On the other hand the more products are added to the catalog the more value is added to the subscription which then might make it even more unlikely that a seperate purchase will happen. They then coul easily tell you that you get a huge value for the price you pay for the subscription and besides that with the loyality program it should be also possible to keep a plugin after 12 months of subscription...

Don't get me wrong. I would like to have seperate purchases too (especially for D-50) but it seems to be more or less unlikely that it will happen soon. Even more unlikely with more products added and the older plugins being updated.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I also started installing and checking additional Roland plugins including those i had alraedy tested a longer time ago. So far the D-50 seems to be my favorite...

So far the current versions of all those i checked got a "Patch" button to open a browser where you could also create new custom banks.
Ingo Weidner

What can add value to the subscription model is to add more VSTs like Jupiter 8 or D-50, and from what they say on Facebook, they're gonna release most of their vintage analog and digital synths on Roland Cloud over time. Apparently, the JV-1080 and JD-800 are the next ones on the list...

wait and see.

This was an official answer from Roland Virtual Sonics (the company behind Roland Cloud) at Facebook 3 days ago concernig single purchases:
Roland Cloud Dear Axel, the reason we don't offer single sales is that we are a service and not a store. The reasons for this will become more apparent as one uses the service. We suggest you give it a try. And if cloud computing is not for you, consider a purchase of our range of hardware synthesizers. We offer something for everyone and every style of creativity.

But with Roland Cloud, the future is in connectivity because at the operating system level, computers are now designed to be connected. Roland is embracing this connectivity even as we pioneered MIDI.

The capabilities we offer (and plan to offer) go beyond the paradigm of a single computer. Cloud processing and services is what we feel is the bright solution for all of us in music.

Specifically, the capabilities we offer now for just $19.95 per month compete with thousands of dollars in outright purchases. We also support our software 24/7 and we are adding value with each new product that is included in the base membership. Of course, some of our customers have the means to buy tens of thousands of dollars in hardware and software, but we believe in the accessibility and the low cost economic model of shared computing. Cloud means that more people will be able to make and participate in music at a professional level. We think that is a great thing. At Roland, we design the future.

-Jeremy Soule, Corporate Director, Roland Virtual Sonics
FWIW at their Facebook page there are alraedy several requests for having seperate purchases. I mentioned it too there today, at least for the D-50.

FWIW there does not seem to be an official reply concerning D-50 Sysex support yet.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Maybe they could just re-issue the hardware D-50 like what Moog did with the Minimoog. If I am going to spend hundreds of $$ to buy the software, I could go get a used one on Ebay for a little more instead.

sinemotor wrote:What can add value to the subscription model is to add more VSTs like Jupiter 8 or D-50, and from what they say on Facebook, they're gonna release most of their vintage analog and digital synths on Roland Cloud over time. Apparently, the JV-1080 and JD-800 are the next ones on the list...

wait and see.
Besides the ROMs, what is the difference between the JV-1080 and the JD-800/JD-990? To me, Roland was simply repackaging the same synthesizer year after year, changing only the ROMs and the cases.
Fernando (FMR)

Examigan wrote:Maybe they could just re-issue the hardware D-50 like what Moog did with the Minimoog. If I am going to spend hundreds of $$ to buy the software, I could go get a used one on Ebay for a little more instead.
Wasn't it what they were doing since the 80's? What are the JVs, the JDs, the XVs, whatever... except variations over the D-50 theme? If they were going to port something into software, at least do that with those technologies that are effectively meaningful, like the VariOS, or the V-Synth.
Fernando (FMR)

A synth that i did not see being mentioned here et for an emulation would be a JP-8000 (or JP-8080). That one would be great IMO...
Ingo Weidner

fmr wrote:
sinemotor wrote:What can add value to the subscription model is to add more VSTs like Jupiter 8 or D-50, and from what they say on Facebook, they're gonna release most of their vintage analog and digital synths on Roland Cloud over time. Apparently, the JV-1080 and JD-800 are the next ones on the list...

wait and see.
Besides the ROMs, what is the difference between the JV-1080 and the JD-800/JD-990? To me, Roland was simply repackaging the same synthesizer year after year, changing only the ROMs and the cases.

There are a lot of subtle differences. While I somewhat agree, I think that a lot of the same can be said for folks, e.g. DSI, using the reference CEM designs year after year, so, YMMV and all that.

http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=404

So is this a proper emulation or just a sample based mock up? That may account for the lack of sysex.

This is probably the original DSP code with original ROM content.
And Roland didn't figured out yet, how to transmit sysex because the code is 30 years old and no one understands it anymore, they just threw it into some digital circuit simulator :hihi:

aMUSEd wrote:So is this a proper emulation or just a sample based mock up? That may account for the lack of sysex.
It's a proper emulation (even faithful in things like reduced polyphony - 16 voices in sigle mode but only eight voices in dual mode - and the fact that we can't use the filter for PCM elements).

The lack of Sys-Ex support may be tied to the lack of proper support of patch browser and management in the earlier versions of Jupiter-8 and Juno-60 - Roland inexperience and lack of proper planning :shrug:

They simply didn't thought about it, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)

Ingonator wrote:
Klinke1 wrote: System-8/Jupiter/Juno do not output sound @96kHz and no patch saving in the vst. (so far)
Concerning patch saving at the moment this is not fully correct.

This is what i posted yesterday after installing the current version v1.03 of Jupiter-8 (bank/patch saving marked with bold letters):
Ingonator wrote:After having started to use the D-50 plugin i just again installed the Jupiter-8 plugin that i alraedy used with the free trial.

The installer like that of the D-50 now also asks for the plugin paths/locations.

The GUI still gets blurred at bigger sizes and CPU use is still high. Both problems do not seem to exist with the D-50 emulation so there is hope that they could at least improve the blurry GUI of the Jupiter-8 (and other plugins).

There is a white "Patch" button which opens a browser like in the D-50 and like there in the D-50 you could create your own banks there.

If you open the browser it is also possible to save the currently loaded patch to a specific location in a new bank. For that you load the desired patch, open the browser, open the new bank (or first create a new one), do a single click at the location where it should be saved and then click on "Write" at the lower right of the browser.

With the D-50 it should work in a comparable way.

Here at Windows 10 you find the bank files (BIN format) saved at C:\ProgramData\Roland Cloud\Jupiter-8

As mentioned earlier those for D-50 are at:
C:\ProgramData\Roland Cloud\D-50

What does not seem to be posible is saving single patch files so you have to save them in a new bank.
As mentioned above there is a way to copy and paste patches between banks.
Sorry! System-8,Juno and Jupiter have a preset browser now with the new update.
I was wrong!
Also it now puts out audio @ 96kHz... :smack:
- WonderEcho -

Return to “Instruments”