Minimoog Softsynth Shootout: Diva MiniV3 Monark Legend Minimonsta vs Model D

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Mini V4 Minimonsta Monark The Legend

^^^ well said. What makes digital digital is the noise of analog circuits. What most young people don't realize is that silence did not exist before computers. The only place silence existed was in a vacuum.

ALL HAIL THE MINIMOOG!!!

What seems to have been forgotten in every discussion of the minimoog of late around these parts - is that the heart & soul of the minimoog is one of a thoroughbred performance instrument - fully capable of putting the proficient keyboard player on the same footing as any solo electric guitarist.

(In lawyer-speak to a jury) - Here's what I'm talkin' 'bout, y'all - Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bUEszBG6Q

goldenanalog wrote: What seems to have been forgotten in every discussion of the minimoog of late around these parts - is that the heart & soul of the minimoog is one of a thoroughbred performance instrument - fully capable of putting the proficient keyboard player on the same footing as any solo electric guitarist.
Any proficient keyboardist can be on the same footing of ANY guitarist... provided they let him, and that's what the bands want (unfortunately it seems to NOT be the case since the end of the 70s - keyboards are not sexy).

In that aspect, the Minimoog wasn't offering more than many other keyboards and synths of the time, like the ARPs, even the Moog Modular (see below), The Prophets, the Oberheims, etc.

To illustrate what I am saying, you can see Keith Emerson here, in the concert that launched ELP to fame, performing Pictures at an Exhibition, where he was using... a Moog Modular (among other things). This was in 1970, and they were so young, and so GOOD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTU1eYjxNSg
Last edited by fmr on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

One of my favorites from Manfred Mann including a quite long Minimoog solo (or multiple ones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXdf-ANypB0

Here he has a SEM next to the Mini which originally seemed to be thought as an expander for synths like the Minimoog.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

nvm

goldenanalog wrote:What seems to have been forgotten in every discussion of the minimoog of late around these parts - is that the heart & soul of the minimoog is one of a thoroughbred performance instrument - fully capable of putting the proficient keyboard player on the same footing as any solo electric guitarist.
For programming purposes, possibly the new Behringer D or the Roland SE-2 could be used as controllers, provided they send MIDI CC. For performance, something like the NI Kontrol series should be perfectly fine? In fact one should be able to get much more expression out of modern keyboards (velocity, aftertouch...), plus you're not stuck to low-note priority which is hard to get used to (ihmo) :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Ingonator wrote:One of my favorites from Manfred Mann including a quite long Minimoog solo (or multiple ones):

Here he has a SEM next to the Mini which originally seemed to be thought as an expander for synths like the Minimoog.
What a insanely cool solo!

martinjuenke wrote:
Ingonator wrote:One of my favorites from Manfred Mann including a quite long Minimoog solo (or multiple ones):

What an insanely cool solo!

just awesome!!!!

Urs wrote:
nevernamed wrote:The thing with that is the mash up almost always results in some kind of compromise.
I'm only interested in a mash up of the old Oberheims, that is, OB-X and older. They change more in concept than in actual parts or architecture. I'd merely add a novel concept, one that is only possible in software, but otherwise stick to the parts.

That said, we've enslaved ourselves to accuracy for over a year when we did Repro-1/5, we would certainly prefer to add our own touches to anything new. As I said elsewhere, we're moving from "accuracy" to "interpretation" when we believe we can offer something better.
You reckon you'll be tempted to go ahead with the "Oberheim mash up" at some point still? What would it encompass?

If I may chime in and brag a little...

THIS sounds like the real deal... forget the rest :hihi:
It just blows everything away. Then the possibility to use the different pres and outboard gear. Pure audio engineer's fun :love:

Pic from my Gearslutz post. I got my Minimoog just last Friday.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

stardustmedia wrote:If I may chime in and brag a little...

THIS sounds like the real deal... forget the rest :hihi:
It just blows everything away. Then the possibility to use the different pres and outboard gear. Pure audio engineer's fun :love:

Pic from my Gearslutz post. I got my Minimoog just last Friday.
Hey, you finally killed this thread! Well done :tu:

martinjuenke wrote:Hey, you finally killed this thread! Well done :tu:
He will only kill it when he posts a video of him playing a nice five voice pad live (while having his DAW modulate all parameters at the same time) - that would be one voice better than The Legend. :)
Until then, hardware is inferior. :tu:
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Bet there are many who disagree :D

There are a lot of points where hardware is inferior, yes. But sound and haptic is unbeatable.

It's useless to say one is better than the other. Use that who fits you and the situation the best. I do that.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Instruments”