What are you looking for in a drum sample pack?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just an opinion based question. What kind of hi-hats, rides, crashes, cowbells, toms, kicks, snares, and pretty much everything else are you looking for? What makes it sound good to you?

Phil Collins
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Diversity and, most importantly, timbral variation.

I've got two absolutely massive Zero-G packs (10,000 Kicks and 10,000 Snares) but they all sound very 'samey', as though they've all been EQed in exactly the same way or run through the same 'one-size-fits-all' mastering chain.

I don't have that many sample packs, but the Wave Alchemy drum packs are fantastic. Tons of usable sounds, and each hit has been carefully processed to bring out its individual character and make it the best version of itself. Far more inspiring and usable than those Zero-G packs where the sounds are tactlessly bashed into monotonous timbral uniformity.

yeah Wave Alchemy is the gold standard, can't think of a pack that isn't a must have unless it's a genre specific one you're not into. there is no filler in these.

I reckon Driven Machine Drums 2 is of similar quality to the Wave Alchemy packs (I own and use both).

Both DMD and WA are well-engineered and don't need much, if any, additional processing to make them sound good, which is pretty much ideal in terms of workflow.

Best drum sample pack I've ever purchased has to be "100 Crashes" by Musicrow. I use samples from this pack on every track because there is so much incredible variety and flexibility. I would love to see the rest of the drum kit treated similarly... except the kick drum, which has been done to death imo.

I'm always looking for Kick Drums that don't have an obvious pitch to them.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

The beautiful luxury of having such samples is, I choose the drum or cymbal to truly fit the rest of the arrangement. I can be very picky. Most of it is BFD, today it's BFD3, which has 7 wonderful kicks, and compleat with brushes and mallets articulations. Joe Barresi, Jazz 'n Funk expansions.

Sometimes I have used VSL Concert Toms and their bass drums. And timpani.
Also see the 'Epic' type of product, eg., Cinesamples Drums of Doom (or War, or whatever. Cinetoms for sure. I got their whole 'Legacy Percussions' after contacting them regarding a defunct acct.). 8 Dio Frame Drums... Soundiron has some big (and small!) drums which are excellent.

Depending on the type of project I'm doing, Drumdrops are top quality for 'live' feel recordings and Goldbaby / Wave Alchemy are top notch for drum machine-techno-hip hop samples.
I also like AD2.

Admittedly this post is more about my favourite drum sample companies than a direct answer to the thread question, but equally that's who sets the benchmark for me in terms of drum samples.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”