Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Now that Reason supports VST, it will be my primary production DAW
17%
Now that Reason supports VST, it will be my secondary DAW
19%
Now that Reason supports VST, I will be a first-time Reason user (either as a primary or secondary DAW)
6%
I have no interest in returning to Reason
24%
I have no interest in trying Reason as a first time user
20%
I may consider returning to/trying Reason if they add a feature [Please comment below]
13%

Total votes: 201

RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnochLight wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y7WUG9cZbyI

Comparison videos.
You're piling instances of Slate VBC Rack onto one instrument + track. Try creating 4 or more instruments + tracks, and start adding Slate VBC Rack in equal parts onto each instrument. I guarantee you'll get more instances (though not as many as you'll get in other DAW).
Not my video just linking to it.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

That did cross my mind. You have to create a crap ton of groups and have them feed into each other in series in order to make a good comparison. The more plugs in series, the more PDC is having to work to catch up. The Cubase trial only had 8 VBC's in series per channel, if I understood the video correctly.

Quotes from Youtube... watch?v=2Zy3RipH5u0
Keeping them in their ecosystem.

User:
Where can I get VSTs from?
Propellerhead:
It's the wild west out there of free and commercial VSTs, but if you want some place to start looking you can check out our Propellerhead Shop because we've added some of our favorite VSTs to the shop. http://shop.propellerheads.se
Actually Xfer Records' Serum is available in our own Propellerhead shop too - along with many other plugins by iZotope, Output, KV331, U-he, and more to come. /ryan
I don't like them.

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:Quotes from Youtube... watch?v=2Zy3RipH5u0
Keeping them in their ecosystem.

User:
Where can I get VSTs from?
Propellerhead:
It's the wild west out there of free and commercial VSTs, but if you want some place to start looking you can check out our Propellerhead Shop because we've added some of our favorite VSTs to the shop. http://shop.propellerheads.se
Actually Xfer Records' Serum is available in our own Propellerhead shop too - along with many other plugins by iZotope, Output, KV331, U-he, and more to come. /ryan
I don't like them.
You don't like Serum?? Or VST's in general?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

That "the safest internet is on a portal of ours" attitude. Talking about a whole world where you can get any product as "wild west". Keeping their users bound and uninformed.
That's what I don't like. The Apple strategy.

Having a host of different copy protections and sites to download/update plugins from gets to be a massive nightmare after a while. I'm totally OK with a single portal if it helps streamline the process of making music. It's frustrating when an idea hits you, but you need to update... aaaaaand the moment has passed.

I don't have a problem with the Apple strategy, but I own iPhones and iPads, so perhaps I'm biased.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about a company's attitude, just as long as they make something I want - I'll buy it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I do get the point though. It surely would have been possible to point to the PH store without the "wild wild west" reference. Especially as that's quite a joke. I never had an issue with finding VST's. But, of course, if you've been patronized your whole life, and always were limited to the the one store which rules them all, then you may find that the free world out there is quite a wild place to be...

Well, in all honesty - is it a comment that really is inaccurate? Or is it more or less accurate? In comparison to single shop and licensing/authorization system that existed for Reason-only users prior to 9.5, buying and managing VST's truly is the "wild wild west" by comparison, and always has been. I mean seriously man - I've had to jump through more than a few licensing and installation hoops/hurdles to get things going once I bought them (or found for free). If you haven't, then perhaps you only have a few VST's installed (in which case, you're very fortunate)?

If my hard drive died tomorrow, I've got a few where I wouldn't even know where to start looking in order to replace them (though I suppose I'd rely on a Google search and cross my fingers) - LOL! Not to mention re-authorization, etc.

That all leaves completely aside the fact that PH largely benefit from people buying at their shop. As i mentioned, the rep could have just said "You can buy VST's from our shop, or you can buy VST's from vendors, or the manufacturers". How many VST's are offered in PH's shop anyway? Not more than a handful. Yet they do want people to buy there, because, outside of it, it's the "wild west". Well, that's marketing, and a patronizing "You better do everything on our site, because it's easy for you." attitude. Reminds me a bit of AOL, with their internet software. I read once that 70 or 80 % of the american AOL users only browsed in the AOL software, on AOL's webpages. :D Seriously, if you're serious about VST's, a shop like PH's with their handful of VST's is out of the question anyway. Until they really offer a good and representative collection of VST's, it surely will take up to a year or two.

It could also be a perfectly acceptable explanation that the only VST's they're featuring in their shop right now are the ones they not only know work OK in Reason, but also have the most painless installation/authorization processes.

Or not.

Who knows...

Probably rather because they agreed with the manufacturers to offer them in the PH shop (and if Reason supports VST, then compatibility is basically in their hands, unless they didn't implement VST correctly, or there's other host specific technical shortcomings).

As far as i can see, some of the plugins seem to be more expensive though, compared to the manufacturer prices. Another reason to rather go "wild west", i guess.

Bumping this to let you know that we just released Reason 9.5.1! Just launch Reason 9.5 and it'll auto-update.

This update brings:
  • Improved MIDI drag and drop from VST plug-ins. Dragging MIDI into the Reason sequencer will now place the MIDI on a track and position of your choice.
  • Improved overall performance.
  • Reason now supports hyper threading. There is a new setting for this in the Preferences which is on by default.
  • Additional bug fixes and improvements.
Regarding hyper threading, there are some important things to keep in mind! Depending on your CPU (number of physical cores, virtual cores etc) this will of course do less or more for your performance. Additionally, due to how load is distributed on cores, you will see the biggest performance gain on "normal" projects with multiple tracks, multiple devices and so on. If you have one synth with 30 reverbs on it, hyper threading won't help as they're all in series and not in parallel. :)

As I'm sure you're aware, performance and bug fixing is ongoing work at any company and we'll of course continue improving Reason here at PropellerHQ. I really appreciate all the feedback we've been getting, not least from KVR. :party:

Thumbs up! Loving Reason 9.5 and really wished you guys had supported VST's before I wasted $200 on Cubase updates from Artist 8 to Pro 8 and then from 8 to 9.

Anosou wrote:Bumping this to let you know that we just released Reason 9.5.1! Just launch Reason 9.5 and it'll auto-update.

This update brings:
  • Improved MIDI drag and drop from VST plug-ins. Dragging MIDI into the Reason sequencer will now place the MIDI on a track and position of your choice.
  • Improved overall performance.
  • Reason now supports hyper threading. There is a new setting for this in the Preferences which is on by default.
  • Additional bug fixes and improvements.
Regarding hyper threading, there are some important things to keep in mind! Depending on your CPU (number of physical cores, virtual cores etc) this will of course do less or more for your performance. Additionally, due to how load is distributed on cores, you will see the biggest performance gain on "normal" projects with multiple tracks, multiple devices and so on. If you have one synth with 30 reverbs on it, hyper threading won't help as they're all in series and not in parallel. :)

As I'm sure you're aware, performance and bug fixing is ongoing work at any company and we'll of course continue improving Reason here at PropellerHQ. I really appreciate all the feedback we've been getting, not least from KVR. :party:
Thanks Mattias!

My wishlist for Reason is certainly getting shorter and shorter :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”