New Apple iMac Pro - 18 cores, built for the pros

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

iTzPrime wrote:It is a freaking shame that apple doesn't provide an upgrade to their mac pro line since forever.

There was an upgrade to the Mac Pro only last month.
(But you do have a point, of course..)

When Apple held the roundtable to announce the newly designed future Mac pro, the Apple reps mentioned that around 80% of professional Mac users use laptops, most of the remaining pros use iMacs, and that Mac Pros are used by a low single percentage (probably around 1%) of pro users.

I'd be reluctant to buy an iMac again, much less a $5k+ iMac ... as a matter of fact I'd be reluctant to pay that kind of scratch on a Mac, period. Why ? ... well, in terms of the iMac because of it's lack of modularity (though you can upgrade the ram now it seems ? wowwee wee wow), and because if one component goes down the whole unit needs to go and be serviced. Second ... because of Apple's aggressive OS updates, how this effects existing software, how developers seem to be aggressively coerced or strong armed into only keeping their wares up to date on the latest OSX iterations. Compound that with the fact these OSX updates will eventually abandon your expensive mac hardware.

I'll build my next computer around October, it will be a Skylake-X machine with a x299 motherboard. Hoping that I will be able to turn it in to a Hackintosh down the road, as it seems that the Mac Pro update in 2018/19 will be based on this architecture ... though they haven't named the processor yet, the rumoured spec would support this as being a reasonable development to hope for. But who knows how my spec choice will change between now and October ... at any rate, next time I use OSX it will certainly be on a hackintosh, or on the rare occasion I fire up my old iMac.

Daags wrote:Second ... because of Apple's aggressive OS updates, how this effects existing software, how developers seem to be aggressively coerced or strong armed into only keeping their wares up to date on the latest OSX iterations. Compound that with the fact these OSX updates will eventually abandon your expensive mac hardware.
You make is sound like active development of an OS is a bad thing, and as if devs keeping up with current tech is also a bad thing. OK.

Not sure what you mean by the OS abandoning hardware, the current release (and the next one) are compatible with Macs from 2009/2010.

I like how fmr basically ignored my offer.

stratology wrote:
Daags wrote:Second ... because of Apple's aggressive OS updates, how this effects existing software, how developers seem to be aggressively coerced or strong armed into only keeping their wares up to date on the latest OSX iterations. Compound that with the fact these OSX updates will eventually abandon your expensive mac hardware.
You make is sound like active development of an OS is a bad thing, and as if devs keeping up with current tech is also a bad thing. OK.

Not sure what you mean by the OS abandoning hardware, the current release (and the next one) are compatible with Macs from 2009/2010.
Active development of an OS is a good thing. How apple actively develop their OS is a bad thing. Please, please agree with me ... it's very important that you agree with me. Oh god, if you don't agree with me, I just don't know what I will do to myself. Suicide-by-cop or something, most likely.

Daags wrote:Please, please agree with me ... it's very important that you agree with me. Oh god, if you don't agree with me, I just don't know what I will do to myself. Suicide-by-cop or something, most likely.
If I said I agree with you, would you believe me?
:wink:

keyman_sam wrote:Dear fmr,

ON PAPER Windows is no worse than or better than OS X. Life doesn't run on paper. In real life Apple has control over A-Z of their components AND software and this gives them a huge competitive advantage. If your neighbor's Mac works well, chances are yours will too. With PCs it's largely hit or miss. This coming from a PC user who's used PCs for 20 years.

So right now one of my windows 7 machine refuses to wake up from sleep (fans spin up thats it). How do I troubleshoot? Or am I too dumb that I can't see the very obvious solution? Please enlighten me, sir.

I'll take it one step further - if you end up resolving my issue your coffee is on me. :P

here's your solution: Click Here

I'll have a decaf.

stratology wrote:
Daags wrote:Please, please agree with me ... it's very important that you agree with me. Oh god, if you don't agree with me, I just don't know what I will do to myself. Suicide-by-cop or something, most likely.
If I said I agree with you, would you believe me?
:wink:
Sure would! .... Suicide-by-An Garda Siochana probably wouldn't be too effective anyway :D

keyman_sam wrote:I like how fmr basically ignored my offer.
I said that, IF YOU ARE IN PORTUGAL, we can make an arrangement.

But if you are willing to buy me a flying ticket to and from wherever you are, I will gladly help you also. :shrug:

When I talk seriously, I usually like to keep things that way :dog:
Fernando (FMR)

Daags wrote:Suicide-by-An Garda Siochana probably wouldn't be too effective anyway :D
True, police in Ireland don't carry guns.

fmr wrote:

But if you are willing to buy me a flying ticket to and from wherever you are, I will gladly help you also. :shrug:

@Daags:
You don't think I've googled "Win 7 computer doesn't go to sleep"? You must be a different kind of genius.

I even paid to consult an expert DAW builder who debugged the issue and couldn't find a solution. You must be smarter than that guy.

My point was random things go wrong with Windows depending on hardware, software and a mysterious combination of both. Not saying these won't happen on a Mac, but it appears to be far less likely and you proved my point by coming up with a lame-ass excuse of an answer to make yourself look smart.

These issues ARE usually fixable but A). They take time B). They take expertise, ie. knowing where to look

@fmr:
So in a world where your time is completely worthless PCs are better value for money. In my world where my time is worth more than yours, I 'd rather get a Mac or a custom DAW PC and let an expert deal with the issues.

keyman_sam wrote:
fmr wrote:

@Daags:
You don't think I've googled "Win 7 computer doesn't go to sleep"? You must be a different kind of genius.

I even paid to consult an expert DAW builder who debugged the issue and couldn't find a solution. You must be smarter than that guy.
Doesn't go to sleep ? You said the problem was that it won't wake up from sleep. Make your mind up. No wonder you can't figure this out.

As for this supposed (because you are lacking credibility imo) 'DAW builder', perhaps you should have consulted a 'PC repair guy' instead. one guy's specialty is putting things together and selling them. the other guy's specialty is fixing a vast variety of PC setups. At any rate, there's a distinction to be made between finding a solution, and diagnosing the problem. If your 'DAW builder' could do neither, I'm not surprised. I'm definitely smarter than that guy. Go to a PC repair guy next time.

keyman_sam wrote:My point was random things go wrong with Windows depending on hardware, software and a mysterious combination of both. Not saying these won't happen on a Mac, but it appears to be far less likely and you proved my point by coming up with a lame-ass excuse of an answer to make yourself look smart.

These issues ARE usually fixable but A). They take time B). They take expertise, ie. knowing where to look
Your point is inconsistent. You applaud the standardisation of an Apple hardware + OSX combo, but seemingly pretend that no such equivalent exists in the PC + Windows world .... heard of Dell, Toshiba, etc for example ? If you buy off-the-shelf (i.e standardised) PC's or Laptops from companies like Dell etc, you are essentially afforded the same after sales service possibilities, and of course a much greater chance of troubleshooting and solving the issue by yourself, via a little google elbow grease, given that so many other end users will be using the same exact machine and posting online about common problems, and the solution they found.

Anecdote time, but in all my years of using Mac and PC (customised PC and standardised, off the shelf PC), the only after sales service headaches I had was with the apple repair centre - in fact the last time my iMac was repaired they used obviously faulty components ... which they not only failed to spot as they repaired the iMac, but also failed to spot when I returned it again pointing out the fault. I had to visit their workshop and take the iMac apart and show them. THEN they fixed it (and tried to charge me twice, but I digress). But of course, I realise this is probably an exception to the usual Apple after sales service experience. But somehow, in using windows PC's for soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more years, this kind of experience has not happened once.
keyman_sam wrote: @fmr:
So in a world where your time is completely worthless PCs are better value for money. In my world where my time is worth more than yours, I 'd rather get a Mac or a custom DAW PC and let an expert deal with the issues.
this is ironic, you've spent 20 years using windows PC's ... and yet you can't troubleshoot, diagnose, or solve an issue with Win 7, arguably the best Windows OS, that has the largest marketshare which looks to endure for some time more. Seems you absolutely wasted every minute of that 20 year experience. And once again .... this inconsistent idea of yours that it's either a standardised Mac, or a 'custom DAW PC and a paid expert to deal with issues' is indicative of an individual with possible learning difficulties. PROtip: if you want the Mac experience on windows, don't get a 'custom DAW PC' .... get a high end Dell or similar.

Daags wrote:If you buy off-the-shelf (i.e standardised) PC's or Laptops from companies like Dell etc, you are essentially afforded the same after sales service possibilities,

Not quite. There are distinct differences in the quality of technical support between different companies. Here's a comparison.

There are also distinct differences between the product quality of different companies. Here's a summary of Consumer Report's findings.

If you have a lot of money to spend, it doesn't matter whether you buy an Apple or a Windows/Linux-based computer, quality hardware is quality hardware. The big advantage with the latter is that you can build it exactly like you need/want it. They are more DIY than Apple. On the other hand you have to know what you are doing, check those compatibility lists etc.

So, basically it boils down to the operating system preference.

keyman_sam wrote: @fmr:
:dog: :borg:

Go get a Mac then. Your mentality seems to suit it better. Regarding my time being worthless, don't bother. I save more by not spend money badly than trying to find suckers to get paid. Not all PC users are like you (unfortunately) :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”