Z3ta 2 - 2.1 and 2.2 incompatible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wanted to hear if anyone else is having this issue I'm having.

I have an old ableton project created with z3ta 2 2.1 and can't open it with any new 2.2 version (tried all 3 available in command center). It immediately crashes ableton live 9.7.1 64 bit on windows 10

When I install 2.1 it opens without problems, anyone getting this too and maybe already solved this?

Thanks

maybe it's because of automation

some parameter IDs have changed, a big no no but hey it's cakewalk

not sure it could be related but, try with automation read turned off.

hm, but i checked, there was no automation on the tracks with z3ta.
i did notice though, that in another project, automation didn't work anymore (it did not crash when opening)

but crash is even worse :(

it's really ridiculous...

I dunno, but here is the changelog for the 2.2 update.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowle ... 2-2-Update

The Z3TA+ 2.2 update includes the following:

The latest information on Z3TA+ 2 can be found here. The 2.2 update specifically introduces the following new features:

Windows 10 and OSX El Capitan Support
VST3 Support on Windows
AAX support for ProTools 10+ on Windows and OS X
Easy Authorization available through Cakewalk Command Center
4 Stage Phaser mono and stereo added to modulation effects
Load FX from another Program
Bypass button added to Arpeggiator
Improved Search functionality
Search while typing
Audition patches within a search without having to reopen
Last search is now remembered
New Sources and Destinations added to the Mod Matrix
Sources:
Alternate Midi: Alternates 0 1 with midi notes (can be routed to panning to make it go left right etc.)
Destinations:
LFO Delay (1,2,3,4,5,6,All)
ARP Velocity
ARP Length
Chorus Delay
Chorus Feedback
Chorus Speed
Compressor Ratio
Compressor Threshold
Delay Feedback (1,2,3)
Reverb Dampening
Envelope:(1,2,3,4,5,6, Amp)
Delay Time
Attack Time
Decay Time
Decay Level
Sustain Time
Sustain Level
Release Time
Amount
Pitch Envelope:
Delay Time
Start Level
Attack Time
Attack Level
Decay Time
Release Time
Release Level
Amount

Bug Fixes:

Resolved an issue with an expired installer certificate for Z3TA+2.1.1 on OS X
Resolved an issue with Z3TA+ 2.1.1 crashing Garageband X when trying to register
Resolved an issue where toggling the Keyboard (Preview Ribbon) would crash StudioOne
Resolved an issue where the +/- on the Keyboard with Z3TA+ 2 in focus could cause SONAR to crash
Resolved an issue where unwanted panning could occur in Z3TA+ 2.1 when left to loop over a long period of time
Resolved an issue where MIDI Learn did not work for Waveshaper parameters
Resolved an issue where Drag import MIDI to Arp did not work in some situations
Resolved an issue where Preset Inc/Dec and Random did not MIDI learn correctly on Windows
The Microhost now has a Sample Rate selector on the UI
Removed the unintended "Audio Input" control from the mod matrix
Resolved an issue where exporting a MIDI file from Z3TA+2 arp, and re-importing the MIDI file results in +1 Octave
Resolved an issue reported where Z3TA+ 2.1 would not not automate waveshaper parameters with host-synchronized LFO (CWBRN-8874)
Resolved an issue where text for modulation parameters was being cut off in master display
Resolved an issue where the Preset name would displays a GUI glitch when searching and selecting a preset
Resolved an issue where the Search box was visible on credits/signal flow screen if no text is entered
Resolved an issue where clicking extreme-left of Shaper would flip it
Resolved an issue where meters and poly count jump thru about page GUI
Resolved a patch specific issue (Showcase) Bass Shape 01 FS Delay 1 where it would become non functional
Resolved an issue where Waveshaper controls behave differently on User waves
Resolved an issue where the mod matrix could becomes unresponsive
Resolved an issue where Sync on Modulation was inconsistent when triggering vs played back in SONAR
Resolved an issue where CC# 43 displays as 33 in right-click menu when mapping parameters
Resolved an issue where the Stereo Chorus was not processing as true stereo chorus
Resolved a potential memory leak/potential crash when using the random program picker
Updated many buttons to have proper tooltips
Resolved an issue where the Z3TA+ Microhost menus did not behave as expected when using Record WAV File
Improved responsiveness with controls, such as Filter Link and Control Previews, which were lagging in OSX
Resolved an issue when choosing some program names that displayed unrelated "Parameter 659:" tooltip
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Obviously i used that latest version (Z3TA 2.2.3.51 Win), which was already out when testing. It's no help adding new features, when i can't open old projects / have backwards compatibility.

dermage wrote:Obviously i used that latest version (Z3TA 2.2.3.51 Win), which was already out when testing. It's no help adding new features, when i can't open old projects / have backwards compatibility.
Not sure what may be the problem, as I can open Z3TA+2 2.2.3 in Ableton Live 9 and 10.

At any rate, Cakewalk operations and development was shutdown last November by Gibson. All Cakewalk code, but not the company, was purchased by BandLab last week. So it's too early to tell what they will keep or continue with, so it's possibly end of life at this time.

dermage wrote:Obviously i used that latest version (Z3TA 2.2.3.51 Win), which was already out when testing. It's no help adding new features, when i can't open old projects / have backwards compatibility.
If you don't mind sharing your .als project file, I may be able to remove all instances of the z3ta plugin from your MIDI tracks for you so that you can re-open the project in Ableton without it crashing.

Once you finally have your project open in Ableton Live, you can try reassigning the z3ta v2.2.3.51 plugin into the appropriate MIDI tracks in your project.

Hopefully, you have all of your custom z3ta patches exported as preset files; that will make it easier for you to reconfigure your z3ta instances.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Thanks for the offer, that's a good idea. I can do this myself as I can open the file with the older z3ta 2.1
It's just very inconvenient since newer files I saved with 2.2 don't open with 2.1,so a lot of reinstall needed for different projects.

Actually this happens with not every older save. Maybe it was only files saved with a single 2.1 version.

I know about the acquisition. Just hoped anyone at bandlab would notice

dermage wrote:
I know about the acquisition. Just hoped anyone at bandlab would notice
Well carry on then... :wink:

It will take BandLab a fair amount of time to absorb the acquisition, and decide which products to carry on with. Since they did not buy the Cakewalk company, just its assets, it is safe to assume all products are end of life until you hear otherwise...

dermage wrote:Thanks for the offer, that's a good idea. I can do this myself as I can open the file with the older z3ta 2.1
It's just very inconvenient since newer files I saved with 2.2 don't open with 2.1,so a lot of reinstall needed for different projects.
You don't have to re-install the 2.1 version of z3ta to remove the plugin from your MIDI tracks.

You could instead edit the project file itself with a text editor as follows:

(Warning: not for the faint of heart)

1) Be sure to keep a back up of the original .als project file. Append ".gz" to the filename of the copy of the .als project file so that the new file extension is ".als.gz"

2) Use 7-Zip to extract the .als file that is compressed inside the .als.gz file.

3) Open the new .als file into a good text editor (or an XML editor if you got one).

4) Find the "PluginDevice" node to delete by searching for the plugin's name (e.g. "Sylenth").

Here is an abbreviated snippet showing the XML hierachy for one possible instance of the plugin's "PluginDevice" nodes (the complete node to delete is highlighted in the abbreviated XML):

Code: Select all

<MidiTrack Id="54">
        <LomId Value="0" />
        <LomIdView Value="0" />
        <DeviceChain>
          <DeviceChain>
            <Devices>
              <PluginDevice Id="0">
                <LomId Value="0" />
                <LomIdView Value="0" />
                <IsExpanded Value="false" />
                <PluginDesc>
                  <VstPluginInfo>
                    <FileName Value="Sylenth1.vst" />
                    <PlugName Value="Sylenth1" />
                    <UniqueId Value="1937337393" />
                  </VstPluginInfo>
                </PluginDesc>
              </PluginDevice>
            </Devices>
          </DeviceChain>
        </DeviceChain>
      </MidiTrack>
5) When you are done removing the appropriate "PluginDevice" nodes, save the changes to the .als file.

6) Delete the existing .als.gz archive file in the folder; you will be creating a new one. In the file explorer, select the .als file you just edited and saved, and then right-click it to bring up the 7-Zip menu. From the 7-Zip menu, select "Add to archive...". Choose "gzip" for the "Archive format:". Optionally, check the "Delete files after compression" option. Click the "OK" button.

7) If the edited .als file is still in the folder, you will need to rename it or delete it, so that you can remove the".gz" from the end of the archive's file name. After removing the ".gz" from the filename, you will then have an Ableton Live Set project file that should open up in Ableton Live. If Ableton Live has a problem with the new file, you may have made a mistake during editing (e.g. the XML was not well-formed). You can repeat the above process again on another copy of the original .als file.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Return to “Instruments”