Spiral Generator v2.0 teaser (FREE synth)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Little Spiral Generator

I've not heard back from beta testers, sooooooooo I'm guessing it at least doesn't crash on load. :neutral:

had a do with it :)

http://xoxos.net/temp/spiralgen.mp3

i love fitting these stereo timbres into each other, fun. soz, mp3 has a touch of "negative energy" seems i can't turn on my daw lately without the same dude going "wassup" in everything :shrug:

request adding transport to osc/lfo reset (if easy, can be done by automating at first note). found a bug! setting envelopes to - amount routed to pitch kills something. pitch can take - modulation from lfo tho so guess it's in the env.

cpu is about too much for my 2001 netbook :hihi: so started using other synths. gated pad is float, little wet bleeps after that are black, but the three main "feature" timbres are SG, each are one patch making a lot of sound.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:request adding transport to osc/lfo reset (if easy, can be done by automating at first note).
wha? adding transport to reset?
xoxos wrote:found a bug! setting envelopes to - amount routed to pitch kills something. pitch can take - modulation from lfo tho so guess it's in the env.
Are you saying that pitch modulation will cause the plugin to go silent? Some number in the code probably explodes to inf or nan. Will investigate.
xoxos wrote:cpu is about too much for my 2001 netbook :hihi:
I might be able to reduce the CPU by half with some optimizations, I haven't had time to investigate it yet. Indeed it is high CPU. I don't like it either with my 2013 CPU. Edit: But I get to use the "it's free" excuse for now! :hihi:

Hey Xoxos, great demo. Pretty harsh at some points, but thankfully it sounds all intentional. I could hear these kinds of sounds coming out of a big modular with a spaghetti of wires. Could you post a spiral-generator only version? I can remix it in with other audio demos beta testers may post, so it's ok if the spiral-generator-only version is a bit bare.

I'd like to put together a video with audio demos and credits to its creators... hmm... should have announced that from the beginning.

While we're at Spiral Generator demo tracks...
This is what I've come up with so far:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2xlug9cjotbm ... 5.wav?dl=1

It's 4 instances of Spiral Generator, no external distortion (only slight saturation on the bass).
Will keep working on this.

Little bit of testing here (38 drgrees C here, so this was also a cooking-with-the-laptop test :D ).

Result (some kind of Xenakis hommage?):
https://vimeo.com/222562317
as I was lazy and used a set with Prettyscope output.

This SpiralGen is lovely, I bound like 26 knobs, buttons and faders to the synth and did three random tracks. Reminded me a bit of the old EMS Synthy A a good friend did lend me for some years: You never really know what happens next, very nice.

But: SpiralGen didn't crash, but had to reload the whole thing rather often, because the synth got stuck and didn't produce any sound - especially wiggeling the phase and bright too fast ...

And it takes a lot of cpu (AMD fake two core, 2,7).

Very nice and wild, but maybe only recommended for intense use under 20 degrees c.

Love it! Very unique use of PrettyScope and the audio sounds analog-modular-like to me.

Yeah I'll have to look into the "getting stuck" thing. It would help to send patches that causes the issue maybe with some instructions to reproduce. I need to see where in the code things go wrong.

Thanks, my pleasure.

Reproducing this with a patch may be difficult, because I didn't make any presets, just took the third bass preset and worked from there with lots of knobbing. Any sense if I wiggle around again and store a patch form the state SpiGen is in when audio is stuck? Can do this at night time, temperatures are now that high that the laptop crashes all the time during the day (not the synths fault, but the shitty cooling).

Had some more fun spiraling, as weather is cooler now.

Checked the stuck sound: I was definitely overusing Density plus Offsets and ZAmount ... which resulted in massive amounts of DC (very interesting waveforms;-). When I saved a stuck state and reloaded it, some sound came back. I guess it was also about how fast one changes the parameters.

Going slow and easy now. Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iw3z31hm9drnw ... r.mp3?dl=0

A fine instrument.

Return to “Instruments”