Acoustic Grand Piano libraries/emulations: An Overview (audio demos of some pianos added)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:
Joe Garfield wrote:Wow.
Ingonator, Thank You.

I sort of wish I found this before last weekend as I just bought EW Quantum Leap pianos...but hopefully it will just prove that I got the one that I think sounds best :)
Besides the problems with rendering a WAV file ( i was now able to record an audio track of teh Tera PIano audio outout in realtime...) i am not sure i actually like the sound of Tera Piano while IMO it is not bad indeed. At the end it's not about library sizes and some other technical stuff but about how it sounds and if it is playable (velocity behavior).

My favorites so far were VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 (Most used one here at the moment), NI The Grandeur and NI Alicia's Keys.

What i am quite sure about is that i would not have bought Tera Piano as a separate product but as it is included with the montly subscription it was worth checking it.
Will re-check it later but now i am more interested in playing with the the new D-50 plugin... :hyper:
I haven't demoed it, but yes. The largest piano that I had before getting Waves Grand Rhapsody was Sonnivox's eighty eight ensemble and it does not sound better to my ears than smaller libraries. I really like the Waves piano though.

ghettosynth wrote: I haven't demoed it, but yes. The largest piano that I had before getting Waves Grand Rhapsody was Sonnivox's eighty eight ensemble and it does not sound better to my ears than smaller libraries. I really like the Waves piano though.
For the Ravenscroft 275 that is currently my favorite there is a UFS file (loadable with UVI workstation and UVI Falcon) with a compressed size of 5.32 GB. This also includes multiple mic positions.
Many people seem to agree that this is a great sounding piano. As the hardware Ravenscroft 275 is VERY expensive and also rare this library is also quite unique. Those who are used to the sound of Steinway and Yamaha might not like the basic sound. On the other hand the company that builds the acoustic pianos is also officially involved with the plugins (at least they officially support and endorse it) while most of the work is done by VI Labs.

FWIW the current version of Tera PIano is not actually big but this might change ehne the Rainlink cloud feature will start working.
Still the size does not matter if the basic sound does not fit you personal taste and also having a library size of a Terabyte would not change that...
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Didn't see Orchestral Tools Steinways, B and D

http://www.orchestraltools.com/

Here's my Bach Well-tempered Book 1 on the Orchestral Tools D, with verb added...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... xltdam8TPG

It's the Tube, so 128 kps is the max res (unfortunately). Still, a lot of different stuff in the WTC, so gives folks a rough idea of the sample's characteristics. Since the company is German, and recorded the piano at a German Studio, I assume the D is a Hamburg, not a New York.

Also, for comparison, the Scarlatti and the WTC 2 and the Shosty, at my Tube site use the HZP Steinway, which I'm assuming IS on the list.
My Virtual Scarlatti Sonatas, Bach WTC 1&2, Shostakovitch etc., using assorted VSTS:
https://www.youtube.com/user/dohgrant/playlists

Based on the last pages of this thread I bought the Ravenscroft 275 today and I really love it.
This can finally replace TruePianos for me in case of playability. I could play no other sample based piano before I tried the UVI engine.
In the meantime I have Uvis own Pianos, the kawai from Acousticsamples and now the Ravenscroft. While I like all of them the latter is really great.

Ingonator:
What I think is a little bit strage: is it with your setup also the case that the pedal does not make noise on every press down but only on 1 out of 3 or 4 ?

Don't own the Ravenscroft, but the demos are very convincing, that's for sure.

Here, btw, is a Steinway that may have been missed... "Piano Premier".... I notice it's gone up in price since I purchased it. Regrettably, the sample hasn't been of any use to me, so far.....

http://www.premiersoundfactory.com/modu ... 8-p-1.html

The piano plays well-enough under the fingers, but the recordings I made with it, at least through Nuemann K 310s. sounded (to my ears) a little thin, almost honky-tonk. Same deal heard through less exacting Maggies, and other passive speakers.
My Virtual Scarlatti Sonatas, Bach WTC 1&2, Shostakovitch etc., using assorted VSTS:
https://www.youtube.com/user/dohgrant/playlists

I've had the same experience: I'm more used to Steinway D and the German piano tones, but after listening to all the VSTs linked on the first page, Ravenscroft has jumped to the top of my list. I don't particularly love the tone, but they did something to nail the overall ambience/depth/realism - it doesn't sound sterile like most others, yet sounds much more playable than the "non-perfectly sampled" pianos I've heard.

This led me to think that independent control of mic positions is important - to me. I think some of the 'sterile' sounding pianos could probably use a little bit of 'room mic' mixed in for depth - which to me, gives a very different effect than adding a little reverb or delay.

Based on samples alone, EWQL is still my favorite with really nice tone and plenty of depth. I've read some negative reports of actual playability since I've purchased it, but we'll see how I like it.

I'm wondering if it's possible to open multiple instances of any of the VSTs that have different mic positions but don't let you mix them. Some seem to have distinct 'Close, Player, Side, Room, etc' mic positions but not all on the same page.

Joe Garfield wrote:I've had the same experience: I'm more used to Steinway D and the German piano tones, but after listening to all the VSTs linked on the first page, Ravenscroft has jumped to the top of my list. I don't particularly love the tone, but they did something to nail the overall ambience/depth/realism - it doesn't sound sterile like most others, yet sounds much more playable than the "non-perfectly sampled" pianos I've heard.

This led me to think that independent control of mic positions is important - to me. I think some of the 'sterile' sounding pianos could probably use a little bit of 'room mic' mixed in for depth - which to me, gives a very different effect than adding a little reverb or delay.

Based on samples alone, EWQL is still my favorite with really nice tone and plenty of depth. I've read some negative reports of actual playability since I've purchased it, but we'll see how I like it.

I'm wondering if it's possible to open multiple instances of any of the VSTs that have different mic positions but don't let you mix them. Some seem to have distinct 'Close, Player, Side, Room, etc' mic positions but not all on the same page.

Love the mics on the Waves Rhapsody piano. Especially the over the shoulder mics.

Joe Garfield wrote:...'room mic' mixed in for depth - which to me, gives a very different effect than adding a little reverb or delay.
https://soundiron.com/collections/piano ... rand-piano

I probably should have posted this above. At the end he talks about the AKG451s over the shoulders of the pianist. I find that these help to really give an intimate sound. I would have to say, in fact, that tone aside, how this piano was mic'ed and how you choose your configuration was a key selling point for me on this piano. Of course, the price helped, heh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXJfBGrzcM

Return to “Instruments”