Introducing a new VSTi for Mac: Seismic!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes go up to twice the width and height, but I don't see a use for 50%.
FYI, U-he freewares Podolski, TyrellN6 and BeatZille go from 70-200% by 10s, but their "200%" is twice the width and twice the height (so actually 400%) and you should go that large too because there is so much wave info, similar to Z3ta
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Hi. I tried running it in Plogue Bidule, but the GUI came up blank. Anything I can do?

Hi,

Most likely, Plogue is running in 32-bit mode. Seismic currently only runs with 32-bit programs that support Reaper extensions (i.e. newer Cocoa GUIs and not older Carbon GUIs.) I can add Carbon support for older users, but 1) I'm not sure how many 32-bit hold-outs there are and 2) It's a complete pain!

If you can, try Plogue in 64-bit mode. I was able to load both the VST and the AU versions into the demo. Which macOS are you currently running?

I tried forcing Plogue to run in 32-mode on my machine, but it completely refused for some reason. Maybe because Sierra. 32-bit is pretty much dead now, for better or worse.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Hi All!

I just uploaded the latest version (RC2). I have added a Settings screen with the ability to change the GUI size from 75% to 200%.

http://syntonica.net/Seismic/SeismicRC2.vst.zip
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Cool! BTW, how can I 'Save' the change to GUI size so it reopens during the same session at the same size? (nothing in manual)
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:Cool! BTW, how can I 'Save' the change to GUI size so it reopens during the same session at the same size? (nothing in manual)
GUI resizing isn't persistent quite yet, nor has the manual been updated yet.

Do you consider GUI size a global thing (all instances open at the preferred size) or per instance? I'm thinking global, just because per instance gets tricky when monkeying with the info the host saves. :D

As well, the concert tuning will need to show up in the Settings as well, and same issue. I've never looked at how other VSTis handle these.

Hi. But reports here or somewhere else? Since I am posting I might as well give you one: logic pro 10.3, set to 200%, select empty preset, set node 8 waves to saw and saw. set AR. Logic crashes. Repeatable.

plexuss wrote:Hi. But reports here or somewhere else? Since I am posting I might as well give you one: logic pro 10.3, set to 200%, select empty preset, set node 8 waves to saw and saw. set AR. Logic crashes. Repeatable.
Bugs here please. :)

Are you talking about the "A/R Env" envelope? No issues here, but post a screen shot of your configuration as that will be the easiest way for me to see what's going on.

Yes, global sizing. Most common b/c folks often choose a GUI size based on their screen resolution.
"Concert tuning?" Do you mean A=440 or Scales? I suggest a making it global. Can we load .scl files and/or will you provide a set?
BTW, if hou have a Save button in Settings that is separate from Scale Selection, we can have different Scale-instances as long as we keep each open.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Yes, A=440. I used to get my tuning from the oboe in orchestra. :D

I will supply a batch of 128 different possible tunings (.tun files) baked in. Each patch will remember its own tuning as I thought that might be more useful in the end, rather than having to switch a global value. I'm still working on massaging them into useable form. I'm not sure if they will be really baked in, or listed in (a) separate file(s) yet.

Oh, each patch can have a different scale? I like that!
One advantage of baking is you can name and organise them well! (There is no standard for naming: same scale/many names.)
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Unfortunately I don't own a mac to run this :( Could you elaborate a little bit on what type of synth this is and if possible post some screenshots?

If you download it, unzip it and drill down to the Resources folder, you'll find the PDF manual with screenshots and description of the components.

Got it, thanks!

RC3 is now out.
Concert Pitch tuning and GUI size are now persistent between launches.

Except for loading scale files (.tun), Seismic 1.0 is now feature complete.

Scales will show up here shortly...

-------------------
Version 2.0 will have more waves and more mixers (better sounding, i.e. more CPU expensive). I will also have to rejigger the GUI as it's already trying to do way more than it was originally designed for.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”