Waves SSL E-Channel for just $29!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

But what transformers have to do with SSL E? They were only on preamps, not in the channel path, and only on earliest consoles, quickly dropped on the later revisions.

golly, I bought E-Channel, registered it, installed Waves Central, ran the installer for the E-Chan, it tells me that it was successfully installed . . . but where ? Can't find the .dll. The only Waves .dll I could find is something called WaveShell2 which doesn't do a darn thing when I put that into my VST folder.
WIN10 - 64bit - LIVE9.7.2
anyone have any ideas here ?
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote:golly, I bought E-Channel, registered it, installed Waves Central, ran the installer for the E-Chan, it tells me that it was successfully installed . . . but where ? Can't find the .dll. The only Waves .dll I could find is something called WaveShell2 which doesn't do a darn thing when I put that into my VST folder.
WIN10 - 64bit - LIVE9.7.2
anyone have any ideas here ?
Just copy (don't move) the Waveshell to your DAW vst folder, named e.g. "Waves".
This is a bit tricy, just wonder why the Waves don't inform better of this.

meloco_go wrote:But what transformers have to do with SSL E? They were only on preamps, not in the channel path, and only on earliest consoles, quickly dropped on the later revisions.
Because it says "channel" if you recorded on the desk, they would go through the Jensen trannies, which should be super clean btw. Matched transistor pairs for the G. Then again, If you only mixed on the desk, you would skip that transformer, which is a modelling option I suppose - SSL isn't know for their preamps. The UAD Channel version models the transformers btw.

http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/chann ... ction.html

P.S. The reply was just a general discussion, loosely related factoid.

I'm actually curious to know if anyone has any impulse responses for the SSL channel, or any other famous console channel for that matter.

BRBWaffles wrote:I'm actually curious to know if anyone has any impulse responses for the SSL channel, or any other famous console channel for that matter.
Try looking for Nebula programs. I think there were one or two of SSL. Can't remember the maker at the moment. Oh, Alex B, was my favorite for stuff when I was using it. I got tired of the latency though.

Harry_HH wrote:
Just copy (don't move) the Waveshell to your DAW vst folder, named e.g. "Waves".
This is a bit tricy, just wonder why the Waves don't inform better of this.
. . . and that did the trick. Thank you Harry!

For some inexplicable reason this needs a completely separate copy of the Waveshell VST 9.91
I have 2 versions as well, theres no way to combine them. The second housing only
the SSL strip. I guess its too much trouble for waves to combine them.

Weak...

spacekid wrote:
BRBWaffles wrote:I'm actually curious to know if anyone has any impulse responses for the SSL channel, or any other famous console channel for that matter.
Try looking for Nebula programs. I think there were one or two of SSL. Can't remember the maker at the moment. Oh, Alex B, was my favorite for stuff when I was using it. I got tired of the latency though.
There were quite a few SSL programs actually. And of course there is SAND.

pekbro wrote:For some inexplicable reason this needs a completely separate copy of the Waveshell VST 9.91
I have 2 versions as well, theres no way to combine them. The second housing only

Weak...
Yeah, agree, this makes me a bit scary how complex mess the whole Waveshell policy might be after the ver.10 is launched, for all ver.9.xx users. Lets hope some sensible way.

gents - what instruments is this strip the best at ? weakest at ?
today was the first day playing around with it and it can make things sound fairly large . . .

pekbro wrote:For some inexplicable reason this needs a completely separate copy of the Waveshell VST 9.91

Weak...
I dunno what DAW you have there bro, but in FL Studio you can add and include the waves folder in the plugin scanning. I would assume this is possible also in other DAW's? I also have Bitwig and I also included waves folder there.

What I find most annoying is when I add a new waves plug I need to do a full rescan of all plugins and since I have quite a collection at this point it sure will take a while to do a full scan.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

@ATN69

It's a different build. I have found no way to get it to use the same shell as yet. I will try your suggestion in FL 12
just in case.

*I am a technophile and own most DAWs unfortunately. :borg: unfortunate in that it cost me tons of money heh.

-cheers

Mister Natural wrote:gents - what instruments is this strip the best at ? weakest at ?
today was the first day playing around with it and it can make things sound fairly large . . .
Well, it's good at guitar, piano and some synth..so I guess that may have to do with midrange ..I'm sure you could EQ it for anything really..that's just where it sits for me without messing with it much.

Den* wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Den* wrote:Perhaps someone could hear the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMUaxrXdVuU
I was going to post this earlier, but it's a little slow. Whatever differences are there, it's certainly not night and day to me.
Hi
It depends on your listening equipment and room.
The best way to make a decision is to take demo of Acustica Audio Sand plugin, and Waves E/Channel demo.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189
And not just that.

Listening to how it sounds on drums or a voice in isolation won't tell you much, you really must drop it in a mix, several if you can. See if it helps either speed things up for you or produce a better overall mix.

If not maybe it's not the plugin for you, but you should try it out again to make sure you weren't just having an off day or it was a harder than normal mix.

These kind of tests is what really matters. Everything sounds better in isolation, so it doesn't really tell you much.

Return to “Effects”