Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Strobe (DCAM: Synth Squad) Strobe2

100F wrote: Well the way i've approached this is using high resolution rotary encoders and i actually have two sets of 5 which makes ten. one above the other.

each of these sets can change banks independently, so the top row can edit the filter freq, res, env amt, trackint etc.. while the other set does the filter envelope, but if you press one of the buttons to change banks it changes to amp env while the other set remains locked to filter settings.

one knob per parameter isnt always the best, cause it takes a lot of space. And sometimes having to actually scan across the interfase for a particular knob takes more time than it should.

I will probably upload a video of my conceptual controller once i give it a nice looking case, since its basically too ugly (but useful) in its current state. I made it with arduino.

Im really interested in pushing a new paradigm of usability for vsts, i think we're already there in terms of sound, there are tons of great sounding plugins out there, but the user experience is still lacking.

cheers!
Hey, I appreciate that you are building your own setup and if it suits, good for you.

One knob per parameter (or close to) is my favorite for hardware and I do not care about using some space.

As for VST's, I have no interest whatsoever in such a setup. Tried some things like that and I find the mouse and a big screen far faster and more satisfying than paging through dozens of sets of parameters on small limited devices.

That is why it is good that there are various possibilities for different peoples interest. :tu:

pdxindy wrote:
That is why it is good that there are various possibilities for different peoples interest. :tu:
Definately, whats great of allowing total midi control is that you can still use your mouse anyways :)

In terms of total MIDI control - is it a case of making every mod depth on every knob NRPN-addressable, or something else?
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Daaamn... Cypher 2 is the Jam.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Hey Mr. Angus, I ended up with a spare license for strobe when I bought my Seaboard. The serial has never been registered. I was gonna sell it on to somebody for a good deal, but I wanna make sure that's legit first. Whatcha think?

Serials that are bundled with hardware have to remain with the hardware. You could sell your old license subject to the rules for software license transfers though.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Angus_FX wrote:In terms of total MIDI control - is it a case of making every mod depth on every knob NRPN-addressable, or something else?

I honestly dont know how much necessary would NRPN be. But i figure it would at a lot of refinement. Simply just being able to do everything with midi would be awesome at this point.

Angus_FX wrote:In terms of total MIDI control - is it a case of making every mod depth on every knob NRPN-addressable, or something else?
Fliping trhough pages and tabs with midi would also be awesome.

Angus_FX wrote:Serials that are bundled with hardware have to remain with the hardware. You could sell your old license subject to the rules for software license transfers though.
Figured it was something like that. That's why I asked.

JJ

Comparing Strobe 2 to Diva (Juno module) and TAL Uno LX, seems like the sounds are pretty similar. So I guess Strobe 2 is kinda Juno 60 emulation? I always thought it is more toward SH 101 emulation. Always loved the sounds of Strobe 2 btw.

it's more a Roland feel than a specific model emulation

AnX wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:41 am it's more a Roland feel than a specific model emulation
Yeah, but still can't get the grande character of Diva's Dual VCO (Jupiter) and filter. Strobe is really similar to the Juno 60 module. Don't know about the real hardware though.

You can stack and detune the oscillators, making it also comparable to Jupiter’s. It can cop a lot of Jupiter-6 sounds, not all of them but the character is definitely there.

eluherlu wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:20 am Comparing Strobe 2 to Diva (Juno module) and TAL Uno LX, seems like the sounds are pretty similar. So I guess Strobe 2 is kinda Juno 60 emulation? I always thought it is more toward SH 101 emulation. Always loved the sounds of Strobe 2 btw.
However, MPE implementation of Strobe2 is great and the main reason I keep it.

I see Strobe as a mix of the SH101 and the Juno 60. This synth is a bit underrated (or people don't like the new GUI)

Return to “Instruments”