Waves summer sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am kind of a novice at mixing, and I just bought Komplete Ultimate recently, which comes with some decent FX plugs.

However Waves plugins are (relatively) cheap right now. They are usually quite expensive. I was thinking it might be nice to round things out, but they have like 150 plugins so idk what I'd like or not.

So far the H-Series, SSL E-Channel, and Brauer Motion seem intriguing. I mixed a song using H-Series from the demo and it sounded pretty good, but like I said I'm not really an expert on mixing yet: https://clyp.it/5cygzvj1

I plan to start a business in the next couple of weeks focusing music production / video editing / visual fx, in particular making songs/effects for video games, youtube intro sequences, that sort of thing.

I also want to keep pursuing movie trailer/orchestral type stuff, EDM, and Industrial music like I tend to do a lot already. Everything has been instrumental so far, I don't have a vocalist yet, and it seems like a lot of plugins from waves are vocal-centric. I probably won't get into vocal music for another year or more, so I can certainly wait for vocal type plugins. I also use synthesizers and sample-based instruments, am not recording live instruments.

If you'll can guide me a bit, I'd greatly appreciate it. My DAW is Bitwig Studio, I am using Komplete Ultimate, V-Collection, Synthmaster, and Hive for pretty much everything. Sometimes, when I'm in the mood, I will rent EWQL CC for a month or two.

Waves Gold seems like a good deal, but when I demo'd it I got kind of overwhelmed, I think really I'd just like a nice EQ, perhaps a classic vintage sounding compressor/limiter or reverb/delay. I think the Replika XT delay and RC 24/48 from Komplete sound really nice, so I'm not too hard up, and I already spent a lot of money this month getting ready to start my company, so I don't really want to throw a lot of money around. But Waves is on my radar right now so I could prolly invest like $150 or something if they are plugs I'm actually going to use a lot.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

I think the Waves Gold Bundle is a phenomenal deal when it goes on sale for $200 or less.

You can get it discounted much further by buying from retailers like everyplugin and plugindiscounts (among others).

If you plan to buy more than one plug, however, it might be best to buy directly from Waves. The more plugins you buy from their site, the bigger the discounts.

Wow, Waves Gold is going for $125 at everyplugin right now (You will need to register there first).

flugel45 wrote:Wow, Waves Gold is going for $125 at everyplugin right now (You will need to register there first).
yeah, and H-Series for $60 that is like 90% off o_O
~ good luck ~

You already have some EQs and compressors in your Komplete bundle have you check those out ? I'd suggest you start working on your project and see from there if you are missing something. Your pretty well equipped already you will probably need a good workhorse surgical EQ though first of all. Unless there is one in Bitwig you find does the job. Check limiter6 from Vlagd sound it's free. In the free Meldaproduction bundle there is a good free surgical EQ too. If your willng to pay for those, among the most popular you have: Fabfilter Pro-Q, DMG Equality, I like Melda MautodynamicEQ personnally. There are a bunch of others also. I don't think Waves have a recent version of a surgical EQ at least not with graphic.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Since you state that you are a novice you are better off just practicing with what comes with Komplete. Buying plugins is a bottomless pit, as anyone here will tell you.
After a few months you'll have a better idea of what you want to accomplish, at least as far as mixing is concerned.
Good luck!

yeah true, I could just get the H-EQ and the E-Channel SSL, gold goes on sale twice a year can prolly hold off on that til black friday. plus z3ta+2 is $29 right now, i've been wanting that synth forever.
~ good luck ~

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you are new don't get anything, you have the DAW included stuff plus the stuff included in Komplete, there is already an SSL emulation there (eq, comp and buss comp) plus the vintage compressors, Supercharger, replika XT and the reverbs.

Seriously you have enough just put it to good use and learn it, no need to get more stuff.
dedication to flying

SoundGoddess wrote:plus z3ta+2 is $29 right now, i've been wanting that synth forever.
There's zero reason to get z3ta+2 if you own Komplete. Buy yourself a nice meal and dig into the vast array of instruments you have.

SoundGoddess wrote:yeah true, I could just get the H-EQ and the E-Channel SSL, gold goes on sale twice a year can prolly hold off on that til black friday. plus z3ta+2 is $29 right now, i've been wanting that synth forever.
You do realize that the NI Solid series is essentially an SSL clone without the branding, right? If you're a novice, I doubt that you can hear any real difference and I also doubt that you're in love with the workflow not having mixed on it for decades.

I have a bunch of Waves plugins but the way to get them is to be very picky and only get them when the sale is right for your needs.

Honestly, I'd get down to business with what's in K11U. The softtube vintage compressors cover wide ground. The only thing that I think is really cool about H-Compressor is the beat synced release. Even with that, I seldom use it. I paid $9 for it, from Waves, that's the right price.

As far as reverbs, H-Reverb, meh! Do you know what's cool though, the RC-24 in K11U. Get that thing going and get really familiar with it. RC-48 is cool as well, but RC-24 is a model of one of those vintage flavors that really had something.

H-Delay, it's ok. You have Replika XT though. Further, IMO, if you're going to spend more money on delays, wait for SoundToys EchoBoy to go on sale. (Yes incubus, I'm a fanboi now, shutup)

K11Ultimate has some pretty cool tools that aren't in the standard version. Waves will have another sale, next week, next month, in a few months from now. Find the gaps and fill them in.

For those that already Waves plugins, don't forget to go into your account and check out the 'Upgrades' section. Then click on your plugins and hit the 'Get Upgrade Options'. Waves will give you special customized discounts. I was able to upgrade from Waves Maxx to Gold for around 60bux a couple years back. This is something I had overlooked for a long while. Just a heads up!

hey thanks everyone,

I think I will hold off a bit. I mean I really do love how RC-24 sounds, prolly don't need another reverb really. I guess the only thing really is that KU doesn't show a graphical display for EQ, and H-Eq seems like a pretty nice plug for $35. I mean ultimately I'd like Fabfilter Pro-Q but I have never seen that go for <$150. If I already have SSL modeling with KU then I won't bother with the E-channel. I do have a tendency to fall into plugin acquisition syndrome, honestly that is one of the primary reasons I bought KU was to not feel like I need anything else to do what I want to do.

I think I'd probably get the most direct value from buying a 960 EVO SSD, which is like 5x faster than SATA3 SSDs, especially for video editing, as rendering seems to take forever b/c of I/O lag. Having my sample libraries load up instantly would be nice, I have an SSD already for my O/S but I don't have enough SSD space for many of the kontakt libraries. ATM, once I figure out what I'm going to use for my project, I copy those kontakt libraries to my SSD for the speed boost. It's not ideal workflow. So that's probably a better use of my funds, I would like more SSD space anyway.
~ good luck ~

Almost all DAW include a graphical EQ, which one are you using?
dedication to flying

Waves is a no go for me because of its WUP thing...

Return to “Effects”