All time favorite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's only natural that you have a favorite synth if you have more than one. Even parents don't love all their children equally 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:It's only natural that you have a favorite synth if you have more than one. Even parents don't love all their children equally 8)
Now i know what is wrong with me :):):)

Octopus - but including all my effects plugins.

VELLISLAV wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:It's only natural that you have a favorite synth if you have more than one. Even parents don't love all their children equally 8)
Now i know what is wrong with me :):):)
Tell me about it :hihi: My brother was treated like a Diva while I was just the LittleOne :cry:

VELLISLAV wrote:if somebody say that u sister is a whore go to explain that u don't have a sister ...go fishing somewhere else anonymous troll...i am sick of such mf with no ideas and inspiration to anything but trolling ...
Somebody was missing their nap time yesterday afternoon, weren't they?

Threads like this are an invitation to trolling. There's a "What's your favourite VST?" or some such every month.

wagtunes wrote:None. And here are my reasons why.

So no, no synth is my go-to synth for everything and the day won't ever come when that's going to happen.

That much I can bet on.
That was not really the question. Given all the stuff you have, it would be odd if you liked them all the same and had no favorite...

My all-time favorite is definitely Sylenth1, still I use others as well. But even when I use my rompler-synth, I wish Lennard also made a rompler as it surely would be better than my current one. In other words, there is no other synth that I am as happy with as Sylenth1.

The only synth that makes it into most of my music is my Teisco 60F, usually after being sampled. I don't have any software synths that get as much use.

Isn't this why MusicRadar has their top 50 list? That poll is EXACTLY what you are asking here.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:None. And here are my reasons why.

So no, no synth is my go-to synth for everything and the day won't ever come when that's going to happen.

That much I can bet on.
That was not really the question. Given all the stuff you have, it would be odd if you liked them all the same and had no favorite...

My all-time favorite is definitely Sylenth1, still I use others as well. But even when I use my rompler-synth, I wish Lennard also made a rompler as it surely would be better than my current one. In other words, there is no other synth that I am as happy with as Sylenth1.
I absolutely have no favorite. I have a bunch that I seem to use more than others for reasons that I don't even know myself, but I have no favorite.

I do have a few synths that I don't like very much at all, especially the ones that don't work very well or not at all. But a favorite? Not a chance.

There are too many variables in my music creation. For starters, I probably write for more genres than anybody here. I'd bet on it. I've written for just about every genre there is. In fact, the only two genres that I totally dislike are rap and reggae. And even at that, I've written a couple of rap songs. I don't like them all that much, but I've written them.

When you write for that many genres, that require so many different kinds of instruments, there is no way any one synth can be a favorite. In fact, if I decided tomorrow to just dedicate the rest of my life to writing show tunes (one of my all time favorite genres since I'm 5 years old) I'd probably sell ALL my synths because I wouldn't need them.

So no. I have no favorite synth.

Believe it. Don't believe it. Don't really care.

Favorites are for kids.

Here is EXACTLY what the OP said.
If u have to pick up only one vst synth which never let u down,gives u instant inspiration and u can always find a place for it among other synths in a project
That to me means go-to synth.

I don't know what if means to you.

wagtunes wrote:Here is EXACTLY what the OP said.
If u have to pick up only one vst synth which never let u down,gives u instant inspiration and u can always find a place for it among other synths in a project

A quality general-purpose synth can make all kinds of sounds, so even if I made very diverse music, I don't see a reason why I would have to replace Sylenth1 (in my case) with anything else. I think it boils down to one's patch programming skills. Sure, I can add, say, a rompler for things a VA can't do, like electric piano. But that kind of sound (real instruments) is not really what I consider synth sounds to begin with.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Here is EXACTLY what the OP said.

A quality general-purpose synth can make all kinds of sounds, so even if I made very diverse music, I don't see a reason why I would have to replace Sylenth1 (in my case) with anything else. I think it boils down to one's patch programming skills. Sure, I can add, say, a rompler for things a VA can't do, like electric piano. But that kind of sound (real instruments) is not really what I consider synth sounds to begin with.
Okay, I was going to get into a real knock down drag out with you again about this but instead of that, okay, let's put aside the genres that don't use synths at all.

Most music today, and even as far back as the late 70s, used synths in some capacity. However, synths, outside of electronic and synth pop, were never the main focal point of a band.

Your typical band was...

Drums
Bass
Guitars
Piano
Organ
Percussion

Then, depending on the arrangement, some groups would add...

Strings
Brass

Now in some cases, this was real strings and brass and in some it was synth strings and brass.

But synths were never the main focus of the band's sound.

So with the synth aspect being a minor part, in most cases, pretty much any synth will do unless you're really going for some very specific sound, like the OB Jump patch or the Moog "ELP Lead" and even that could be done by just about anything.

Point is, when I do a track that is not a dedicated synth track, I could pretty much use a random number generator to pick the synth that I'm going to use.

Like I said, when I did my cover of Howard Jone's "New Song" I used OP-X II because the sounds use on the record were programmed into the synth and you virtually couldn't tell the difference. So I used that synth, even though it isn't even close to my favorite synth. I wouldn't have dreamed of using anything else.

I do not look at synths like children. They are just tools. I pick the tool I feel is best for the job I'm going to do. That's why I actually use a good number of the synths I have.

And before you say "Any VA synth can make any sound" I don't care what you think about VA synths and how generic they are and thus I should have a favorite and stick with it. I don't think like you. I don't feel like you. A synth is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. If I know that Synclavier V is going to give me that vocal pad that I want, I'm going to use it. I won't use anything else. Even if there are a dozen synths I love more.

I use what I think will give me the best results for the project I'm working on.

Now, to do that, you really have to know all your synths very well. I do. That's part of the reason I write so many libraries. It gives me a very good idea of each synths strengths and weaknesses. Then, when I go to write a song, I go through my list of synths and pick out the one I think will fit the best.

I do not play favorites.

Now, when somebody FINALLY makes my dream synth (It will never happen) maybe then I'll have a favorite synth and will actually be able to get rid of all the others.

Until then, sorry, no favorites. No go-to synths.

Most musicians actually do have favorite synths, basses, guitars etc. ;)

Yeah, luckily we do not think alike :ud:

Btw, some time ago you complained about my sober view of synths and my not loving any synth unconditionally, I think those were your words ;) Strange...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Most musicians actually do have favorite synths, basses, guitars etc. ;)

Yeah, luckily we do not think alike :ud:

Btw, some time ago you complained about my sober view of synths and my not loving any synth unconditionally, I think those were your words ;) Strange...
There is a HUGE difference between having a favorite synth and not loving a synth.

Synths I love using

ArcSyn
ARP 2600 V
Avenger
Bazille
Diva
Dune 2
Falcon
KarmaFX Modular
Modular V
MS 20
MUX Modular
Omnisphere
Repro-1
Scrooo
Serum
Softube Modular
Sonigen Modular
Sunrizer
Synclavier V
Synthmaster
The Mangle
Zebra 2

Doesn't mean I have to have a favorite among them. In fact, how do you choose a favorite when so many of these are so radically different from other synths on the list? That makes it even harder to pick a favorite.

But you? You don't love anything. Those were your own words when I asked you.

So no, not the same thing at all.

Return to “Instruments”