All time favorite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:There is a HUGE difference between having a favorite synth and not loving a synth.

Synths I love using

ArcSyn
ARP 2600 V
Avenger
Bazille
Diva
Dune 2
Falcon
KarmaFX Modular
Modular V
MS 20
MUX Modular
Omnisphere
Repro-1
Scrooo
Serum
Softube Modular
Sonigen Modular
Sunrizer
Synclavier V
Synthmaster
The Mangle
Zebra 2

Doesn't mean I have to have a favorite among them. In fact, how do you choose a favorite when so many of these are so radically different from other synths on the list? That makes it even harder to pick a favorite.

But you? You don't love anything. Those were your own words when I asked you.

So no, not the same thing at all.
I don't quite get your logic. "Loving truly" (those were your words) is much stronger than merely having a favorite synth. I can have favorites, but not truly love any of them, simply the lesser evil, so to speak. So, it's odd when you expect me to truly love a synth, but don't even have a favorite yourself :hihi:

Maybe you don't have favorites because you are trying to make money with your patches, so there is always that profit aspect attached to your synths.

Musicians often play their favorite instruments for decades, think of BB King, Sting etc., some even give them names.

I call my Zebra "Zebra".

xalama qo wrote:I call my Zebra "Zebra".
What a coincidence! That's also what I call your zebra.

Some of my all-time favorites (can't name just one) OP-X Pro II, Synthmaster, Diva, Zebra, Saurus, The Legend. But there are so many these days it is tough to only pick a few, like Repro-1 and Synclavier V are really cool, and there's Icarus, etc.

Oh well...the list would be too long if I kept going.

So again a topic became an offtopic about wagtunes and again he posted his music when its not needed nor asked :hihi: :dog: :lol:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:There is a HUGE difference between having a favorite synth and not loving a synth.

Synths I love using

ArcSyn
ARP 2600 V
Avenger
Bazille
Diva
Dune 2
Falcon
KarmaFX Modular
Modular V
MS 20
MUX Modular
Omnisphere
Repro-1
Scrooo
Serum
Softube Modular
Sonigen Modular
Sunrizer
Synclavier V
Synthmaster
The Mangle
Zebra 2

Doesn't mean I have to have a favorite among them. In fact, how do you choose a favorite when so many of these are so radically different from other synths on the list? That makes it even harder to pick a favorite.

But you? You don't love anything. Those were your own words when I asked you.

So no, not the same thing at all.
I don't quite get your logic. "Loving truly" (those were your words) is much stronger than merely having a favorite synth. I can have favorites, but not truly love any of them, simply the lesser evil, so to speak. So, it's odd when you expect me to truly love a synth, but don't even have a favorite yourself :hihi:

Maybe you don't have favorites because you are trying to make money with your patches, so there is always that profit aspect attached to your synths.

Musicians often play their favorite instruments for decades, think of BB King, Sting etc., some even give them names.
You're infuriating. Stop trying to impose YOUR values and interpretations on ME. And stop assuming what I like and why I like it when you don't know ANYTHING about me.

I truly love a lot of synths. I love them for what they do best.

The MS-20 has, IMO, the best filters of any synth ever made. The VST version, IMO, sounds IDENTICAL to the hardware. I love the archaic patch board. It so brings me back to the era. But it's NOT my favorite synth because there is a lot it can't do.

Softube Modular is the closest modular synth to Eurorack out there. Programming that thing can take me endless days. I could program it for years and never get bored. But it's NOT my favorite synth. Why? It has missing modules that Eurorack has. I love it for what it has but because of what's missing, it can't be my favorite.

Falcon is like working in a black hole. It's endless. I could get lost it in for ages. The FX are amazing. The options are endless, limited only by your CPU power. But it's NOT my favorite synth because of what it doesn't have, and that's an easy to use interface. Falcon takes a bit of brain power to use that I don't always want to use.

I could go on and on. The point is, I truly love all these synths and many for different reasons. But there is a HUGE difference between truly loving a synth and having a perfect synth that can do everything so that you can throw all your other synths away. That is NEVER going to happen. Now if that means, in your opinion, that you CAN'T truly love a synth, that's YOUR problem, NOT mine. I don't need a synth to be perfect to TRULY love it. If you do, well, that's your problem. It isn't mine.

Its like movies. I truly love so many of the movies that I have seen over my almost 60 years on this planet.

Pick an absolute favorite out of all of them?

Are you kidding? I don't even think I could pick my favorite science fiction.

War Of The Worlds (Original)
Forbidden Planet
Gorgo
The Incredible Shrinking Man (Ending had me in tears)
Star Trek II Wrath Of Khan (for obvious reasons)

In fact, people that say they have a favorite anything, unless they have such a limited frame of reference, boggle my mind. There is so much greatness in the world. How do you pick a favorite anything?

So no, it has nothing to do with my programming synths for business. I truly love doing this or I wouldn't do it. I hated early synths because they were so narrow and limited. But today? My God, these synths do everything but make your breakfast.

So how do you pick a favorite?

Doesn't mean you can't TRULY love MANY synths.

Elektronisch wrote:So again a topic became an offtopic about wagtunes and again he posted his music when its not needed nor asked :hihi: :dog: :lol:
And again, who cares what you think?

wagtunes wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:So again a topic became an offtopic about wagtunes and again he posted his music when its not needed nor asked :hihi: :dog: :lol:

Well you do unless you wouldnt ask and the ones who ignore you :-P

And at all you ger frustrade because i mention you, but apereantly you dont care about others if you make every discussion about yourself. Thats kind of selfish. Maybe lack od attention i dont know. But topic creator definatly didnt asked "post your music" :wink:
Last edited by Elektronisch on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elektronisch wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Well you do unless you wouldnt ask and the ones who ignore you :-P
You guys are starting to bore me. This isn't as fun as it used to be.

Well, you don't seem to have a problem deciding which synths are NOT your favorites ;) So, maybe you could apply that exclusion principle until there is hardly anything left :) Like when someone asks you which is your favorite song ever. So you might look at your playlist and rule out one after another until you arrive at your favorite.
You may have a favorite synth, but not be aware of it :wink:

Favorite does NOT mean one synth that does it all and replaces everything else. It simply means the one you feel best using and which you load most frequently when you are starting a new project. Maybe you have even set it as your default synth in your DAW, like I have.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, you don't seem to have a problem deciding which synths are NOT your favorites ;) So, maybe you could apply that exclusion principle until there is hardly anything left :) Like when someone asks you which is your favorite song ever. So you might look at your playlist and rule out one after another until you arrive at your favorite.

Favorite does NOT mean one synth that does it all and replaces everything else. It simply means the one you feel best using and which you load most frequently when you are starting a new project.
And I keep telling you...I DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!!!

You are without a doubt the most infuriating person on this forum.

I don't even know why i'm doing this but here goes.

This is just a small subset.

For my 80s synth pop project. Here is the list of synths I used on it and how many songs I used each synth on. And we're talking about a project that is all synth based.

ARP 2600 V3 - 3
Battery 4 -2
CS 80 V3 -1
DaHornet -1
Diva -4
ImpOSCar 2 -2
Jupiter 8 V3 -2
Legend -1
MS-20 - 1
Oberheim SEM - 1
OP-X Pro II - 5
Prophet V3 - 2
Reaktor 6 - 1
Repro-1 - 1
Synclavier V -2
Synthmaster -1
TAL Elek7ro II -1
TAL Sampler - 2
TAL U No 62 -1
VirtualCZ - 4
Synth Magic Polycom - 3
Retro Hit Drums - 3
VPROM Linn Drums -5
Rapid - 1
Solina -2
FM 8 -1
Farfisa V -1
Omnisphere -1
Spire - 2
ArcSyn -2

Now, let me point out a few things. OP-X II, which was used more than any other synth, I can say for certain isn't my favorite synth. Yet, it was used more than any synth I own. If all I did was 80s synth pop music, it would be my most used synth but still wouldn't be my favorite. In fact, outside of this project, I hardly use the OP-X II

Omnisphere, which was in my list of truly loved synths, I used ONCE. It just didn't fit the project except for on ONE SONG.

Again, I emotionally detach myself when I pick a synth for a project. I pick the synth that fits what I'm trying to do. As much as I may LOVE a synth, if I don't feel it's right for the project...

I DON'T USE IT!!!!!!!

This may sound like a total foreign concept to you but it's how I do things.

The synths I TRULY love are synths that I love to program and make sounds with. That doesn't mean I'm going to use them for every song I do if I don't think their sound is right for the track. I hate programming the OP-X II. You'll notice I haven't made a library for it and never will. But damn, the sounds I need for 80s synth pop are THERE. I'd be lost without that synth.

Do you FINALLY get it?

If not, I don't know what else I can do to make you understand.

If you dont have your favorite then shut up and dont polute the topic with your nonsense here since its about favorite synths.

Elektronisch wrote:If you dont have your favorite then shut up and dont plute the topic with your nonsense here since its about favorite synths.

A question was asked and I'm allowed to answer it ANY WAY I LIKE

You don't run this forum.

Yes, we do think very differently indeed :hihi:

I can't imagine using synths which I don't love to use and which are not my favorites. Then again, I make music only for myself, no projects, no sound sets. etc.

Nothing compares to Klopfgeist by LogicPro. Basta!

Return to “Instruments”