ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TB Equalizer v3 TB Equalizer v4 TB ReelBus v3 TB ReelBus v4

Distorted Horizon wrote:Holy crap that Reverb is nice. Simple to use and that mod matrix makes everything live. It's not Valhalla or Eventide but has it's own nice bright tone :tu:
I opened a separate thread on the new reverb yesterday, where I think such feedback would fit nicely:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=486167

The latest update of Barricade seems to have messed up all my levels when i use the Hard Clipper input. There appears now to be a gain reduction at the input stage of around -1 dB. Is this intentional?

mutantdog wrote:The latest update of Barricade seems to have messed up all my levels when i use the Hard Clipper input. There appears now to be a gain reduction at the input stage of around -1 dB. Is this intentional?
If you set a hard clipper to, let's say -6 dB, the output level of the input stage when measured with standard vu meters can indeed show up as being somewhat lower (1 dB does not really surprise me). This is because VU meters typically do not do any oversampling, while the Barricade input stage will apply all non-linear processing (soft/hard clipping, saturation, etcetera) with high-quality oversampling / anti-aliasing filters. As inter-sample peaks can be higher than actual sample values, hard-clipping in such oversampled representation can result in somewhat more aggressive clipping when measured with standard level meter tools.

I'm using Youlean Loudness Meter as a visualization and 4.1.4 is about -0.9LUFS quieter than 4.1.3. The difference is audible too.

With 4.1.4, even if i set the clipper to 0dB and run audio into it peaking well below that, the volume drops compared to having no input model selected. By contrast, in 4.1.3 there is no change in volume between hard clipper and no input model.

I tend to use the clipper at a level slightly above the limiter itself (generally around -5dB with the limiter gain at +6dB), really just catch the extreme peaks. I'll try and post a screenshot if it helps show the issue better.

Ok, got it - that should be easy to fix! We'll do that in an upcoming update.

djeroen wrote:Ok, got it - that should be easy to fix! We'll do that in an upcoming update.
When you say "we", aren't you the only person at ToneBoosters? Do you have another developer, or do you just have a habit of saying "we"? :D

djeroen wrote:Ok, got it - that should be easy to fix! We'll do that in an upcoming update.
Nice one. Some of the other input models (saturation types) previously had some kind of gain reduction effect although i never used any of them. My guess is that the same thing is happening now to the hard clip.

For the time being, I'm using a separate clipper (Venn Audio Free Clip) but it will be nice to do it all in the one plugin again.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi.. i´m from venezuela.
Reaper5 on OSX10.9.5 user.. with this operating system can i use your plugins?
I like Morphit and ReelBuss

The small change in level when the input modeller is enabled is fixed now with the latest and greatest Barricade update.

Nice one. I'd gone back to using 4.1.3 so i'll check this out and let you know if there's any issues.

[edit] Not sure if this is a problem at my end but the windows plugin zip archive download keeps getting stuck at around 70%... :(

Jeroen, You should make more plugins for humankind. :D

Okay, so I've just run a whole album project through with 4.1.5 (where previously mastered with 4.1.3). There is still a slight difference in the loudness as measured with Youlean Loudness Meter. In this case though, it appears that only the louder parts are affected (those close to or exceeding the clipper threshold) and are now slightly "louder" than before. This difference is minor though (an increase of up to around 0.1 LUFS) and is only apparent during the peaking sections. Actually i'd consider this an improvement, since i now have a (realistically imperceptible) increase in apparent dynamic range (Barricade has always been the best limiter for dynamic material). If I'd have to guess, this is probably a result of the improved clipper resulting in less gain reduction at the limiter stage.

Also, i don't know how accurate Youlean's Truepeak (ISP) detection is, but there were significantly fewer ISPs showing on the histogram than previously, which is once again indicative of the improved oversampling on the input modeller stage.

So all in all, an improvement on an already awesome limiter. Nice one Jereon. :)

On a side note. The new bypass switch on Reelbus creates a loud click when activated then deactivated. This does not happen when i disable and re-enable the plugin in Ableton. I've only tried this briefly on a track with no audio so can't comment on it further, not a big deal really but maybe something to look into.

Thanks again also for the quick response to my support ticket. :)

[edit] Having run a second project, where the clipper was more actively used, it appears that the gain reduction in the limiter stage is greater, so there goes my previous hypothesis. I also noticed it seems to be more related to the higher frequencies, so i guess it has something to do with the anti alias filters.

I'm really not sure what to think at the moment, on the one hand i like to have a "characterful" limiter that benefits the dynamic range. On the other hand it does feel now less transparent than before. Of course i can still use a separate dedicated clipper before it so "best of both worlds" etc, not to mention I'll probably end up getting TDR's new one cos GAS, so i'm fairly satisfied either way.
Last edited by mutantdog on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For the reverb Parameter dry, wet, width, delay and compress would be nice to have a lock feature.

Return to “Effects”