The Washington Post laments the death of the electric guitar

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:
Hink wrote: 1,2 and 5 watt tube amps are getting more popular than 50 or 100 watt stacks and I think that is awesome, I hope that trend continues.
Yes, but, you can only sell those for so much to the masses, so that's going to affect the "market."

It's more than need though, it's become uncool to own a giant guitar amp, and, it's very much like the synth market, kids don't care as much about digital vs pure analog. That kind of imagery is just not as prevalent in popular culture.

Hell, even I don't care. I have a 57 Magnatone that I rebuilt, it's cool as hell, and an early 70s champ that needs some work that I can't be bothered to do. Even though they're both little tube amps, I prefer my little fender mustang amp that my neighbor pulled out of the trash and gave to me. It's a lot more flexible and it's close enough to just jam with. I can assure you that if I played out again, I would use a lightweight solid state amp.

God there was a time when you couldn't pay me to play through a solid state amp, but these days the differences just aren't as big as they used to be.
I think my point is being missed, I said I dont think the amp market sucks. I didn't say the market wasn't being affected and actually I said it's changing which I like. ;)

I'm guilty of it too to one extent or another but I think a lot people like modeling amps because of presets, especially the younger crowd. Nothing wrong with that but I think there are more and more people who prefer to just turn one knob to a preset, click on a preset or download their favorite artists' tone. So that changes the market a lot and maybe for an older git like me may bring cheaper prices on used amps.

I still myself would go with tube amps if I were to play out, last winter I put forth a very minimal effort looking for people to jam with here and that possibility still exists. I think live I would go with the same thing I record with. I would likely still use my iso cab and if I needed stage volume other than through monitors I would just use my 1x12 either with a power amp or just from another speaker out with one of my attenuators.

Thanx to my studio being just off my living room I have a cool set up now where I can run my DAW signal through digital coax to my stereo in the living room and another signal to my power amp to drive two stage monitors in the living room (I have a speaker select switch to choose the stage monitors or studio monitors). I still get my effects after the amp which I like and I get a great sound in the living room where I have more space and can put more distance between my guitar and my amps (away from those tube amp transformers) not to mention now that I own a house I can get the perfect volume to be right on the edge of feedback. It's nice to have feedback in my tool chest again and having the extra space is great.

I think the guitar and amp market has been getting more and more ridiculous over the decades, it would be nice to buy more stuff made in my country (U.S. obviously) without having to pay two to three times more (maybe even more than that) just because it was made here. So said changes in the market could benefit, I truly dont care if Gibson, Fender, Marshall or whatever big brand name is not making big profits. So I dont think this is a bad thing for me, others might have a different take but for me I see it as a ray of sunshine in a way :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

So, there might just be a little electric guitar glut at the moment? :o :hihi:

All sorts of reasons for something like that, no?

But, as long as there are some youngsters who get the bug and wanna figure out that wonderful magic that dates back to at least Charlie Christian, circa 1940:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lILSP-enbJw

..., the good old electric guitar will be around and well. :party:

Yes, I'm sure that they'll always be interest, just like there's still interest in youngins taking up the Accordion, once the most popular instrument in America!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmDAu_47OE

On edit, those aren't actually accordions, they are apparently Styrian harmonikas, or Steirische Harmonika. Which, I guess, is a kind of accordion.

Do producers still make EGM (Electic Guitar Music)? I don't see a lot of EGM on Beatport these days.

Boy, I really hope guitars and all of the other things I like, die quickly. I can't wait to find an old-timey Variaxe or AxeFX or Kemper amp in the trash. :hyper:
While we are at it... analog synths are dead again. Spread the word!

I think that it speaks volumes about American guitar culture that the best surf guitar music is Finnish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ccFmNKZ4M

ghettosynth wrote:Yes, I'm sure that they'll always be interest, just like there's still interest in youngins taking up the Accordion, once the most popular instrument in America!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmDAu_47OE

On edit, those aren't actually accordions, they are apparently Styrian harmonikas, or Steirische Harmonika. Which, I guess, is a kind of accordion.
OMG, it's like the 60's never happened!

Or the 50's for that matter!!!!! :o :-o

I love watching such quaint expressions of Euro-volkmusik. One of the treats I've experienced since moving to Germany. Reminds me of shows with Quebecois(e) playing spoons and washboards to their 'soupe aux Pois' music.
Last edited by Bombadil on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

justin3am wrote:Boy, I really hope guitars and all of the other things I like, die quickly. I can't wait to find an old-timey Variaxe or AxeFX or Kemper amp in the trash. :hyper:
:hihi:

That's the problem here: this type of article is more about a perhaps surprising slowdown in the guitar making industry than anything having to do with folks suddenly giving away their Gibson L-5s. :x :lol:

rp314 wrote:
justin3am wrote:Boy, I really hope guitars and all of the other things I like, die quickly. I can't wait to find an old-timey Variaxe or AxeFX or Kemper amp in the trash. :hyper:

That's the problem here: this type of article is more about a perhaps surprising slowdown in the guitar making industry than anything having to do with folks suddenly giving away their Gibson L-5s. :x :lol:
Absolutely, but, I think that they are onto something with trends changing. Or maybe not, maybe grunge or something like it is coming back. I wish it would TBH, do you have any idea how awesome the used market is going to be once the wind falls out of the EDM sails?

It's all a lie. I never used that middle pickup setting anyway. The bridge one is fine and the neck works, most of the time.

I wish the washington post would die. And take ghetto/rap/urban b/s with you :D

sprnva wrote:If I had to pick a career with a future right now I'd take guitarist over journalist. Just sayin'...
+100000000000000000000000

Well said! :clap:

incubus wrote:I wish the washington post would die. And take ghetto/rap/urban b/s with you :D
Unfortunately, WaPo is basically the only national rag that continually reports the most scathing news about DJ Trump and his corrupt posse of treasonous losers. I'm not a fan of WaPo's electric guitar article however.

(DJ Trump... :hihi: )

I'm not sure I can respond w/o HPC terrible nonsense. But, in case, I'd like to share a story:

I live in a very neutral area, political wise. But at every junction, gym, whatever, there are non-stop political channels. Regardless of who likes what, "what's his name" is CONSTANTLY in view.

At my gym, we can change channels at will, doesn't matter. 50% or more are about "you know who"

Disgusting. But it's what people want. Wish a plague would wipe us out :lol:

Demand for guitars may be going down as the new generation of great actors for whatever reasons choose not to become collectors/hoarders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2MUzYR_2eM

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”