So how is that supposed to work, then?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Don't like my answer?

Don't f**king read it!
So how is that supposed to work, then?
That's a damn good question. LMAO.

Nope, definitely only one question.

But Wags, you're an absolute treasure. Please don't ever change. The place wouldn't be the same without you. :hug:

1wob2many wrote:Nope, definitely only one question.

But Wags, you're an absolute treasure. Please don't ever change. The place wouldn't be the same without you. :hug:
Look, I'm really not trying to be obtuse here.

This is the OP. I am highlighting the relevant "questions" in bold.
If u have to pick up only one vst synth which never let u down,gives u instant inspiration and u can always find a place for it among other synths in a project, which one will be - to me probably Synthmaster 2.8 considering sound quality and sound design possibilities.It takes time to understand it's power but then comes real inspiration.If u have all time favorite synth vst or hardware please share u point.Thanks.
I'm sorry, but those are two separate questions. Maybe he didn't intend them to be but...

1) Synth that you can always find a place for in a project

2) All time favorite synth

Do NOT necessarily have to be the same synth and I've proven that with my 80s Synth Pop CD. I really don't like OP-X II all that much (will never do a library for it) but I used it more than any other synth for those songs because it fit what I needed to do.

Maybe I'm just an oddball. I can love a synth and not necessarily have to use it for everything. I love the sound of violins. But I don't use violins in every track I do because sometimes violins just don't fit the mood of the song.

I don't particular care for the sound of 8Dio's Diddly Bow, but damn did I use it a lot on my country CD.

If a song calls for a sound, I use it. That's how I write music.

My love for synths comes from the programming aspect and just fooling around with them. But when it comes to making serious music, love of a synth is irrelevant. It's the sound that I need, period. Nothing else matters.

Obviously, some people just don't get that and want to pigeon hole me into a definitive answer.

"You MUST answer zis vay or ve vill hang you from ze left scrotum of Andre ze Giant"

Really, f**k them.

All this swearing. :?

chk071 wrote:All this swearing. :?
Agreed. Its f**king shocking.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Because I'm fed up with this place. I can't even answer a question without people jumping down my throat.

I gave a perfectly valid answer that people here seem to have a problem with. And it seems a BIG problem with.

Tells me a lot about the mentality around here.

whyterabbyt wrote:
Agreed. Its f**king shocking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

I don't know if there's any "smart" latin saying for this, but, IMO, if you always get yourself into trouble, then you might be part of the trouble. ;)

chk071 wrote:I don't know if there's any "smart" latin saying for this, but, IMO, if you always get yourself into trouble, then you might be part of the trouble. ;)
You tell me what part of my answer warranted getting me into trouble.

pdxindy wrote:I love what I do with synths more than I love the synth itself. I can say that because if I did not make music with the synth, it would cease to matter to me.

Likewise, I could pick up a guitar I'd never touched and sit down with friends and have a great time playing music. Nor do I need to like a hammer to enjoy building something with it.

Also, if I could not use any of my favorite synths, I could take a couple synths I don't like and have a great time composing and playing music.
Sure, I could play around with any synth, and I did for some time, used all kinds of stuff, Charlatan, Noizemaker, Saurus, the synth within Mulab, to name just a few. But my music has become a lot better since I found a synth I really like, my favorite synth. When I like a synth in every way, I am much more motivated to use it.
I used to play the bass, and I know from various bass players that many only became really good once they found their favorite bass, usually a quality Fender or Music Man. Sure, Marcus Miller could play most any bass and have fun, but he would not play as well as when he uses his own customized MM bass. Having a favorite instrument usually turns you into an expert on that instrument, you know it inside out. And it shows in the music.

The differences between hammers is extremely little compared to the differences between synths. So that analogy does not really work.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
pdxindy wrote:I love what I do with synths more than I love the synth itself. I can say that because if I did not make music with the synth, it would cease to matter to me.

Likewise, I could pick up a guitar I'd never touched and sit down with friends and have a great time playing music. Nor do I need to like a hammer to enjoy building something with it.

Also, if I could not use any of my favorite synths, I could take a couple synths I don't like and have a great time composing and playing music.
Sure, I could play around with any synth, and I did for some time, used all kinds of stuff, Charlatan, Noizemaker, Saurus, the synth within Mulab, to name just a few. But my music has become a lot better since I found a synth I really like, my favorite synth. When I like a synth in every way, I am much more motivated to use it.
I used to play the bass, and I know from various bass players that many only became really good once they found their favorite bass, usually a quality Fender or Music Man. Sure, Marcus Miller could play most any bass and have fun, but he would not play as well as when he uses his own customized MM bass. Having a favorite instrument usually turns you into an expert on that instrument, you know it inside out. And it shows in the music.

The differences between hammers is extremely little compared to the differences between synths. So that analogy does not really work.
And the differences between synths is EXACTLY WHY I don't have a favorite. There is no synth yet made that does everything. Reaktor probably could but I don't have the patience to design my ultimate synth, nor the skill required.

That's why I use the synth that NEEDS to be used in order to get the sound that I want for THAT particular song. And it can vary from song to song even within the same concept CD.

Doesn't mean that I can't TRULY love synths for what each synth brings to the table or for how fun the synth is to program.

The two things do not have to be mutually inclusive.

incubus wrote:(someone on KVR asks a question)

(someone on KVR has a different thought than the "hive mind" )

Much trolling ensues.

(incubus pops in with knowitall contribution)

Oh, and "one ping only" as the only real answer.
FTFY

wagtunes wrote:And the differences between synths is EXACTLY WHY I don't have a favorite. There is no synth yet made that does everything. Reaktor probably could but I don't have the patience to design my ultimate synth, nor the skill required.

That's why I use the synth that NEEDS to be used in order to get the sound that I want for THAT particular song. And it can vary from song to song even within the same concept CD.

Doesn't mean that I can't TRULY love synths for what each synth brings to the table or for how fun the synth is to program.

The two things do not have to be mutually inclusive.
Again, I don't get your logic. Who says a synth has to be able to do everything in order to become someone's favorite synth? According to those yearly rankings, a lot of people say Diva or Sylenth1 is their favorite synth. Both are merely subtractive synths, so they do not do anything fancy such as wavetables. Yet...

Return to “Instruments”