Waves SSL E-Channel for just $29!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a good idea how to solve the Waves Central issues. Get rid of Waves Central. :P Seriously, it gets a bit annoying when you already have 4 such programs installed, and yet have to install another. Other companies do well without such programs. And, frankly, if you really HAVE to use such programs, which you don't, you should give people the option to: Set a custom installation path, set a custom VST path, and, basically, all the things that have been proposed in this thread. But, again, there's really no point in having such a software manager in the first place. It isn't customer friendly, it hassles the customers, because, it's another crapware program on your computer, which may even run background task, but, at the very least, takes space you could use in another way.

1wob2many wrote:I am perfectly happy that a used the term "rhetorical question" in a sense that most people would understand. I asked my rhetorical question in order to make a point that just because Waves have a long legacy, it's no excuse for the functional shortcomings of Waves Central. I wasn't seeking an answer. That is a rhetorical question.

Moreover, it should be read in the context of the whole post.
i quoted your entire post, and the post you were replying to. there was no missing context. so tell me, how "if only there was a way to not download a zillion plugins to install just one" is meant to communicate "i don't like certain aspects of Waves Central"? the only "aspect" you mentioned in the post i was replying to (you know, the one i quoted, not the one you think i should have looked at) is solved by Waves Central.
1wob2many wrote:What you call "a few bits of missing functionality", I consider major bits of missing functionality which make Waves Central a pain in the arse to use. That is the point I was making.
if that was the point you were making, your "rhethorical question" would've implied that Waves Central as it is implemented is missing functionality you consider important, rather than asking "rhethorical questions" about the only issue it actually solves as if it didn't. it's not my problem that your "rhethorical question" as it was worded had nothing to do with whatever you were trying to communicate.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

chk071 wrote:I have a good idea how to solve the Waves Central issues. Get rid of Waves Central. :P Seriously, it gets a bit annoying when you already have 4 such programs installed, and yet have to install another. Other companies do well without such programs. And, frankly, if you really HAVE to use such programs, which you don't, you should give people the option to: Set a custom installation path, set a custom VST path, and, basically, all the things that have been proposed in this thread. But, again, there's really no point in having such a software manager in the first place. It isn't customer friendly, it hassles the customers, because, it's another crapware program on your computer, which may even run background task, but, at the very least, takes space you could use in another way.
Even though I agree that all those software centrals suck, like I said, it does make sense for Waves to have it. They have simply so many plugins that cramming them into a single installer is not an option anymore as they now have sample based instruments. It would make their installers like over 10G (could you imagine the bitchfest that would cause?) that you would have to download every time you want to do updates. Separating them into separate installers would probably not an option as this would be a nightmare to maintain.

And like I also said, Waves Central is ok, considering some other companies options. Compare that to a pile of steaming cr@p like the Ircam Flux software central and you'll understand. And they don't even have that many plugins to warrant a separate software central that you have to use in addition to PACE. Or the aforementioned IK way of crapping all over your computer with demos of everything. Waves Central is actually one of the more decent options and they have promised to fix the issued I have pointed out earlier.
No signature here!

The real problem with Waves Central appears to be down to semantics. :wink:

robotmonkey wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:Dodged a bullet with this sale. Waisted all my money over at Plugin Alliance so I had no money to spend on Waves!!

Crisis averted!! Haha!!

Somehow I think my solution needs a little working on.
The sale will go on for several days more so you still have some time. :hihi:
The well ran dry. No more cash till about Thursday. That's how clever my scheme was.

chk071 wrote:But, again, there's really no point in having such a software manager in the first place. It isn't customer friendly, it hassles the customers, because, it's another crapware program on your computer, which may even run background task, but, at the very least, takes space you could use in another way.
YES! Installing 100 plugins one by one is the real solution! :lol:
Btw how old is your computer that you care about <200 MB of data used by Waves Central?

Nothing better to do than bitchin about imagined problems right?

Speak for yourself, if you like installing an additional software to the plugins, which won't let you choose where to install, or where to install your plugins. :P I really prefer installing plugins, not an installer manager, which is redundant. I don't assume people have 100's of Waves plugins either BTW.

I have 9 or 10 and I'm not even close to real plugin collectors like a lot of guys over here. I'm not even fan of Waves but I prefer quick install process than doing it one by one like with others. Location of installed is rather not a big deal as I guess everyone keep all plugins in one shared location? Like for now every new plugin needs like 3 mouse clicks to being visible in DAW so for me it's much smoother and faster than standard installation. I'm just after fresh install (OS, DAW, everything) on second pc and I really would like to have one app for all my plugins :D

Btw it's still much better than IK system where it forced me to install all their plugins so I could trial one of them... geezz! This is the real example of 'how not to do' such app :D

pixel85 wrote:Location of installed is rather not a big deal as I guess everyone keep all plugins in one shared location?
Yeah, but i don't have them installed on the C: drive, and i don't really like to install my audio stuff there too, so, both an option to install the software central, and to set a custom VST installation path would be great, otherwise i have to point my hosts to yet another VST directory. The way it is now, you have to copy the (non-standard BTW) waveshell VST file to the folder you're usually installing your VST's too: http://www.waves.com/support/how-to-ins ... vst-folder And then the Waves plugins still remain in another folder, i think. So, not good.

chk071 wrote:Speak for yourself, if you like installing an additional software to the plugins, which won't let you choose where to install, or where to install your plugins. :P I really prefer installing plugins, not an installer manager, which is redundant. I don't assume people have 100's of Waves plugins either BTW.
Many developers in general don't offer you where to install your plugins. Logic requires plugins to be in the Components folder.

It's not always desirable but that's the way it often is. It's certainly not a Waves specific thing.

So this is why every time I add a new waves plug to my small collection (I have maybe 10 - 15 of them) I must do a full re-scan in FL Studio or else FL Studio will not find the new plug. A quick scan doesn't work. A full scan takes about 40 minutes. I would very much prefer to install each plug one by one because I have not yet bought like >10 plugs at once from waves :P

It is no time saver with the waves central because you still have to down load it, log into it and do your stuff. Time spent for that is no more or less than it would take to download the plugin you just bought, not to mention that I some times must sign in to waves central and update it or get it started, or else none of the waves plugins doesn't work. It didn't happen often but a few times I got error message in FL Studio saying that the waves plugin couldn't be loaded up.

Having said all this, I still like waves and their plugins and I kind of got used to the quirks of waves central by now. It is nice with the central when it is time for plugin updates. :wink:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:So this is why every time I add a new waves plug to my small collection (I have maybe 10 - 15 of them) I must do a full re-scan in FL Studio or else FL Studio will not find the new plug. A quick scan doesn't work. A full scan takes about 40 minutes. I would very much prefer to install each plug one by one because I have not yet bought like >10 plugs at once from waves :P

It is no time saver with the waves central because you still have to down load it, log into it and do your stuff. Time spent for that is no more or less than it would take to download the plugin you just bought, not to mention that I some times must sign in to waves central and update it or get it started, or else none of the waves plugins doesn't work. It didn't happen often but a few times I got error message in FL Studio saying that the waves plugin couldn't be loaded up.

Having said all this, I still like waves and their plugins and I kind of got used to the quirks of waves central by now. It is nice with the central when it is time for plugin updates. :wink:
I don't know if there's something equivalent in FL, but, In Reaper you just go into the text file that references the plugins and delete all instances of WavesShell and it will rescan just the WavesShell on reload.

I don't know if there's something equivalent in FL, but, In Reaper you just go into the text file that references the plugins and delete all instances of WavesShell and it will rescan just the WavesShell on reload.
I never saw anything like that in FL Studio, but this gave me an idea. Perhaps it is possible to dig a bit deeper into the plugin manager in FL Studio and see if it is possible to delete all traces of waves plugins from there before I try a quick scan. I will try it next time. Thanks for this input!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:
I never saw anything like that in FL Studio, but this gave me an idea. Perhaps it is possible to dig a bit deeper into the plugin manager in FL Studio and see if it is possible to delete all traces of waves plugins from there before I try a quick scan. I will try it next time. Thanks for this input!
Sometimes that works, sometimes not.. Unfortunately the only failsafe method I've found is doing a full rescan of previously verified plugins (and then go away and do something else!), otherwise it overlooks the Waveshell.

Another thing I tried was unchecking my custom plugin folder location from the scan, whre the vast majority of my plugins are located - leaving behind only the places where the Waveshell is located, ie: steinberg/VSTplugins.. and then running the scan. This kinda works but what it does then is you lose your entire list of already installed plugins from the custom location - and, you guessed it, the only way to get those back is to check all the location boxes and run a full scan again.

In my opinion Image-Line should a implement a get-around for this since Waves plugins are so popular. Basically a special "Scan for new Waves plugins only" option, that knows where the Waveshell is and targets it directly, adding new Waves plugins without messing up your already verified list.

Yeah, I tried some of the things you mentioned and with the same result as you of course. I totally agree that Image Line should give the user more Control over the plugin scan. Making a full scan of a selected folder without affecting the list of already scanned plugs would be a nice way to go. Then I could just Point at the Waves folder in the system.

Return to “Effects”