Orion Sound Module: Free Rompler

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bigcat1969 wrote:Good question on VSCO2 since it was a different license earlier, however I double checked and if you look here, http://vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-2.html and scroll down a bit to Community Edition it says "CC0/Public Domain". They are also listed that way on freesound.org.
I saw that and I'm quite surprised! I've played with the sounds a bit and I think I'll do a different version of VSCO2 where I'll produce the sounds instead of providing them as is. Otherwise I don't see the point of providing something that is already available, the plugin version you made is great! It looks and sound good!
Just a note from my experience that the newer Maize version isn't compatible with Windows XP.
It saddens me since I still use Windows on one of my music production computers. I'm thinking about doing Windows XP versions of my plugins but since it takes me so much time releasing new plugins I'm not sure it would be a good way to spend my time.

Michael L wrote:I have many abandoned instruments whose public domain .mse files are waiting for a new home. If you make the .xml files available for others, please ensure quality control.
(Perhaps others can make only .mse files for your Player and share them on kvr. Are the Instrument and Group properties contained in the .mse files?)
As far as I know, they are.

That's the problem, if I open the player I'll have to ensure quality control, but if I'm going to do that I might as well do everything myself from the public domain/CC community. There's already a lot to convert, map, edit and clean there.

Russell Grand wrote:Estimated release for the Samplescience Player? Looks great! Looking forward to this! I already love Orion Sound Module and this looks even better!
My goal is by the end of the summer, but usually things takes more time than expected because of bugs, human errors and even software's errors. This time I really want to make it error free. With Orion Sound Module, I wasn't expecting much attention but it became really popular really fast. I got caught off guard and since then I've been working on the update on and off until the point where it's now something different and way better. If I had an infinite amount of time I would convert the library to other formats too, but it's humanly impossible to do it in a reasonable amount of time (it would probably take me a whole year).

Doing XP versions of Maize instruments is super simple- all you have to do is swap out the .dll for an older .dll. You can source this from any exported Maize instrument you've done (or even by other people) that works with XP- I think something from even just a year ago would work (I believe it was the JUICE framework update that caused it to be incompatible with XP). This is why the modularity of non-monolithic sampler formats is totally awesome and under-appreciated. :D

Basically delete the existing .dll from the export and paste the old .dll where the newer one was, then rename the old one so it can hook up with the .instruments folder successfully. This can be done with any .dll going back to Maize 2.0 afaik. The whole operation takes less than 3 minutes- you could even supply a "patch" for users of just a pre-renamed older .dll that can be downloaded and replace the newer .dll so that you only have to have one large download.

Also- as far as I know, forwards compatibility is a thing too- you should be able to replace any buggy old .dll's from the period when Maize used to have glitchy buffer overruns and poor RR support with newer .dll's in the exact same fashion- so you don't need to re-export files, I think, even when the original maize project files have been lost or corrupted (which reminds me that I should do the same on my end).

Wouldn't it cause plugin ID problems?

SampleScience wrote:Wouldn't it cause plugin ID problems?
Probably, but I've never seen a DAW choke on it. The only DAW's I know that really care about that kind of compatibility are for Mac which can't use Windows VSTi.

ALL identifying info about the plugin are in the .mse to my knowledge (except probably the unique ID and maybe the name, I guess). Maize makes the VSTi's .dll by literally copying and pasting the .dll from one stored in the Maize installation files, as far as I can tell (EDIT: quick way to test this would be to compare the exact size of the .dll's in the installation files to the .dll's exported- if they're identical, that's all that is happening). This theoretically should make them completely interchangeable. There might be some version number stuff that could cause an issue on one DAW or another (again, the only ones I know that go this deep seem to be for Macs).

However you do it your stuff always sounds great. I'm looking forward to your new rompler and your take on VSCO2 Community whether included in the base rompler or as an addition or whatever.

As for XP, it was released 16 years ago. It is like worrying that you aren't compatible with Playstation 1 when releasing a PS3 / 4 game. Shoot a couple years from now you are going to be releasing SampleScience Music World VR and we are going to have virtual instruments in our hands. I call Tambourine! So let them catch up with the tech. Am I heartless?

I should mention that Sam and Simon provided the code, GUI and pretty bits of the VSCO2 rompler look at Version 1 to see life before the dynamic duo. I'll let them decide who is Batman and who is Robin.

Samulis wrote:Doing XP versions of Maize instruments is super simple- all you have to do is swap out the .dll for an older .dll.
I've already tried that and the newer mse wouldn't load into the older .dll. The compatiblity between version only goes forward as far as I know.

I need beta testers for the SampleScience Player. There's currently some bugs that need to be fix before release, and the more testers I have the better. If you're interested please contact me at samplesciencemtl (at) hotmail (dot) com and I'll send you the latest beta.

Thanks!

Bad news, a hard drive crash is slowing down the SampleScience Player project. I'll have to get a new one and recover what I can recover. :(

Ok, I've been back on track and I've made a teaser/preview page for the SampleScience Player that you can see here:

http://www.samplescience.ca/2017/10/sam ... layer.html

It'll give you an idea of what can be expected and why it takes so long to finish.

Cheers! :phones:

I hope you get it done before the end of the month because I'm going off line then and i want to play with it!
Definitely looking good.

Looking really good!!

Just 2 questions...multitimbbral? Poly/mono/legato?

EDIT: I seen the polyphony controls :tu:
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Looks like it's shaping up to be a massive gift to all musicians on budget. Really appreciate your efforts and look forward to try it!

it isnt exactly free , for download the plugin i must donate before. :?

Return to “Instruments”