Best practice for saving projects

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you save your projects?

1. Save all Vst used and save the project file so you can open it anytime and change it

2. Bounce tracks without effects but have the effect plugins always ready

3. Bounce individual tracks with effects and save them along with a project file

Also what format and Bitrate is enough for bounced tracks (Wav takes a lot of space)
I never actually return to my projects to change things but I still kinda wanna be able to do it...
That keeps me from using new vst and libraries as I have to save them somewhere for the projects...
Anyways, I'm curious what you all do!

Generally 1. is the most common practice, and 2. if you do some intense sound design or work intensive effects process (e.g. manual pitch correction) that you know you don't want to mess up. 3. is the most memory intensive.

Usually any bounces are stored as .wav, sorry. If you want the same quality (identical output) as .wav with a smaller file size, see if your DAW supports .flac

I have more than 200 projects saved using the 1. method. But I find myself restricted from using new Vsts for every other new project. I almost never actually revisit older projects. I don't know if it's worth the hassle. Anyways. Thanks for your input

I usually only do #2 or #3 if I am trying to free up RAM by dumping instruments or effects. I've also done it when I was working with someone else and they had an instrument or effect that I don't own and I liked the sound.

But unless I was thinking about using the stems later for something else, I usually only save the project and a completed track with all the effects. But I am only a hobbyist and don't plan on sending anything out for mastering.

I think it really depends on what you want to do with it later. What do you mean you are restricted from using new VSTs?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”