Syntronik [update March 2018: New T-03 Bonus Content & 4-for-1 bass synth promo] available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syntronik 1

bigcat1969 wrote:Since the NI Vintage Synths were mentioned and I have them as part of Komplete I thought I would take a look at how the two compare. Between the NI Factory Library and Vintage Synths Collection and this there is little overlap. All i noticed is the MiniMoog in both. Also NI seems to be heavier on Electric Pianos and Organs.
Sure, that wasn't my point, my point was that I have a TON of vintage synth samples already and I suspect so do most people who have been doing this for a while. The NI product doesn't have the modeled filters either. Of course, the IK product doesn't have the cool preset morph which is about the only reason I use the NI product in the first place, well, except for pianos and organs, they're always worth sampling. Structure has some samples of the Xpander and one of the Jupiters, and who knows what else. I've lost count of how man vintage pads and leads and basslines or whatever are spread across all of my other sampling products. I also have no idea how many samples of vintage analogs are spread across my romplers.

Just for fun I went and grabbed my vintage audio sample CD of analog synths from the 90s with 650 samples of 24 classic synths and and a MasterBits collection from 1988 that has 528 samples from 12 synths and drum machines, some illegal. I don't even want to do a search of my sample drive for the words vintage and analog or Moog or Roland.

If you do this for a while you will collect vintage synth samples at no cost. The marginal value of new ones then is rather low except in rare instances.

And having all of that, I hardly ever use any of them. I do use samples of vintage synths, just nothing so ordinary as what's sampled in the IK product, or NI's product for that matter, I'm not singling out IK here, I'm making a general claim that I don't think sampling ordinary analog synths is all that interesting.

Here are the synths from zeroG's nostalgia.

ARP String Ensemble,
ARP Pro-Soloist,
ARP Odyssey,
Casio VL-Tone,
Casio CZ101,
Casio PT-30,
Crumar Performer,
Chamberlin,
Chapman Stick,
Clavinet D6,
Delicia Medlodica,
Dubreq Stylophone,
Ensoniq SQ80,
Ensoniq SQ-R,
Elektronika EM-25,
Elka Synthex,
Eminent 310,
Emulator 2,
Fairlight CMI IIx,
Farfisa organ,
Farfisa Soundmaker,
Fender Rhodes,
Gem DEX20,
Gem S2,
Hammond B/C3,
Hammond M102,
Hohner Pianet,
Jen bass Pedals,
Kawai K5000,
Korg Prophecy,
Korg Trident,
Korg Wavestation,
Korg M1,
Korg MS20,
Korg Polysix,
Korg X5DR,
Mellotron,
MemoryMoog,
MiniMoog,
Moog Taurus Mk1,
Moog Opus,
Moog Voyager,
MultiVox MX202,
NanoBass,
Novation SuperNova II,
Modulus Monowave,
Novation K-Station,
Oberheim Matrix 12,
Oberheim Matrix 1000,
PolyMoog,
Prophet 5,
PPG Wave 2.2,
RMIElectrapiano,
S+S synths,
System 100,
TB303,
VP300 Vocoder Plus,
Alpha Juno 2,
D50, Jupiter 6,
MKS50,
RS202,
SH101,
Sci-Fi,
Suzuki SX-500,
TI Speak & Spell,
Wurlitzer EP200,
Wurlitzer EP203,
Vako Orchestron,
Vox Continental,
Yamaha CP70,
Yamaha DX7,
Yamaha CS1x,
Yamaha CS5,
Yamaha CS80,
Yamaha CVS10,
Yamaha SY2,
Yamaha SY85,
Yamaha TX81Z.

ghettosynth wrote:And having all of that, I hardly ever use any of them. I do use samples of vintage synths, just nothing so ordinary as what's sampled in the IK product, or NI's product for that matter, I'm not singling out IK here, I'm making a general claim that I don't think sampling ordinary analog synths is all that interesting.
OTOH, there are tons of tribute acts or just regular amateur players who want sounds from the classics where the standard Lucky Man lead or a solid Vox Humana is just what the doctor ordered. The trouble with the older libraries is that they don't have the flexibility of what IK has kinda promised – something that gets close enough, say, to the filter-sweep opening to Tom Sawyer without needing a sample of that precise sweep. Whether Syntronik delivers on that kind of usage remains to be seen – but there is a market for it.

Then there is a market for people who want a solid set of presets for real-time playing that sound more or less right without the processor burning a hole in the PCB. Having said that, with the effects engaged, S3 itself can chew through the MIPS.

There is UVI Vintage Vault, there is Arturia Analog Lab 2, to mention a few.

I welcome more synth libs, but I think the market for this thing is rather crowded already.

Numanoid wrote:There is UVI Vintage Vault, there is Arturia Analog Lab 2, to mention a few.

I welcome more synth libs, but I think the market for this thing is rather crowded already.
Vintage Vault is expensive. Arturia's analog lab is not. I didn't mention the latter, which I have also, because I don't think that it's all that and a bag of chips. However, to Gamma's point, it also does fill that role to some extent, it may even do a better job in some cases because, at it's heart, it is still (many) full synthesizers, only with limited and specific control.

I'm not saying that there isn't a market for this, I'm just not convinced that it provides as much unique flavor as the hype would suggest or that it provides a lot of value to the typical KVR reader.

I wonder of the people that have purchased this, if they own Kontakt have even explored the Retro Machines library?

BTW: Here are some free PolyMoog samples

http://www.vstream.be/PolymoogKeyboard.html

For me, the number of sounds that fit the use case described that aren't already available and are also convincing is pretty low. Vox Humana gets sampled a lot, I have a dozen synths that do Lucky Man. If you want a TB303 sound that library will get you nowhere close.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I gotcha GhettoSynth and you are right. You just got me thinking about NI's stuff and wondering to myself do i already have the stuff I bought from IKM. So I was happy the answer was no and being me I made a list.

I have explored Retro Machines some, but should more thanks for mentioning that.

And yup most folks know I love freebies so I've toyed with the 10,000s of synth samples available from freesound.org. Oddly I'm currently creating chord and arp scripts for my kontakt instruments... If this were only in Kontakt I could really play with this toy...

Just looking at the prices, I'm willing to pay 70 bucks to have toys to play with. I'm less willing to spend $500 with is the retail price of V and VV.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments. We're working hard to get Syntronik polished up for its July 2017 release. I have also been relaying the requests for different videos and will continue to do so.

My original IK Miroslav came with a red dongle I think. I bought a 2nd licence to be able to use them simultaneously on two computers. Is it the same with Syntronik?

there are no dongles with IK any more, not since a long time ago.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Do they let you install their products on more than one computer though?

yes, i believe every product gets three authorizations (so you can install them on up to three separate computers at the same time), and you can request more from support if you run out.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

In The Mix wrote:Do they let you install their products on more than one computer though?
Yes. From our EULA:
Applications Software. The “IK Multimedia Product” may be used only by you. You may install and use the “IK Multimedia Product”, or any prior version thereof for the same operating system, on up to three (3) computers, provided that (a) each computer is owned by (or leased to) and under the exclusive control of the licensee; (b) the program(s) shall NOT be used simultaneously on more than one machine, and (c) any computer(s) with IK Multimedia software installed shall not be sold, rented, leased, loaned or otherwise be removed from the licensee’s possession without first removing (uninstalling) the licensed software, except as provided in Paragraph 4 (below) pertaining to “Software Transfer”.

Does this have chords and arps and stuff like that there? Up to a week ago I barely knew they existed (arps I knew chords) and now I'm a bit obsessed.

In The Mix wrote:My original IK Miroslav came with a red dongle
Wow :o :hail:

bigcat1969 wrote:Does this have chords and arps and stuff like that there? Up to a week ago I barely knew they existed (arps I knew chords) and now I'm a bit obsessed.
Syntronik has an arpeggiator and layering but you won't find auto-chords or similar if that's what you mean.

Numanoid wrote:
In The Mix wrote:My original IK Miroslav came with a red dongle
Wow :o :hail:
Sorry for the quality but I had to force the flash to see the IK logo on this piece of nostalgia:

Return to “Instruments”