One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So here is my real entry for this osc. First time in my life percs only 8) . In order not to hurt your ears I make this one really short :lol: . Nice synth and LotS of fun for me.
https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/im-the-boss
FL Studio 12.3
8 instances of Lord of the Springs
DAW FX's:
1x Fruity Limiter
1x Fruity Stereo Shaper
1x Fruity Stereo Enhancer
Other FX's:
4x Amplio 2

So T, any thoughts on using the springs for a spring line reverb? What would be interesting would be a multitap version - never heard of one before. Could be good given the sonic character of the spring delay changes as the signal propagates down the spring!

Of course you could build in controllable feedback to and from various taps (so they can be in and out!) - your own version of a Watkins copycat - but springs, not tape!

Just how many of us built one back in the 60's/70's???

Just musing ... boing!

dB

doctorbob wrote:So T, any thoughts on using the springs for a spring line reverb? What would be interesting would be a multitap version - never heard of one before. Could be good given the sonic character of the spring delay changes as the signal propagates down the spring!

Of course you could build in controllable feedback to and from various taps (so they can be in and out!) - your own version of a Watkins copycat - but springs, not tape!

Just musing ... boing!

dB
That sounds interesting!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

doctorbob wrote:So T, any thoughts on using the springs for a spring line reverb? What would be interesting would be a multitap version - never heard of one before. Could be good given the sonic character of the spring delay changes as the signal propagates down the spring!

Just musing ... boing!

dB
UH, sorry, I haven't responded, yet?! :oops:
Yeah, fun idea! I'm sure they were talking about actual coiled springs, of course. That's a bit different than what I've got, but I could explore that for sure! I did think about adding audio in to use LotS also as effects unit, but that would certainly deserve its own little vst effect, I imagine.

Anyway, new version is up v2.0.4. It only adds LOAD and SAVE for presets and banks in the top bar via a little pulldown menu. I think, some may prefer that?! :shrug: ...it certainly is nice to have it. 8)

Hi T, no probs about not respoding .. we are all busy - even though I'm well retired!

Of course, the originals were nothing but real metal springs (mine had 4), with actuators on on end (ie where the audio goes in!), and then transducers at the other end to pick up the reverb'd audio - and then into a dry/wet mixer stage.

Just though that instead of some form of standing wave starting off your chain, you could inject audio? Or, instead of generating each bit of waveform per micro cycle, you could maybe slice bits of audio from the input signal instead?

I'm sure I am talking a load of bullsh*te here, but I guess there's maybe something in it which could be fun to do?

dB

Well, vsts get a sample buffer from the host, which the vst process than goes through. I would do it the exact same way I'm doing it already, pushing each sample into the spring "frame", which holds all the springs. This frame acts almost exactly like a resonance filter. The frame then forwards its vibration into all the springs. For a more interesting effect, I would try to consider time offsets, imaging a ripple through the frame as one might imagine seeing it in a slow motion clip, you know. This tiny offset would create a phase offset, but since each spring only resonates at a certain frequency or frequency range, these phase offsets would be isolated to their springs' respective frequencies. Could be a very interesting sounding effect for sure! :)
Except for the time offset, this is what is happening right now in the "Body". Could've been neat to consider time, though. Danged...maybe in a future version!

I also thought about phase offsets for the delays or even phase diffusion. Could just sound like an ordinary reverb then, though, haha...anyway. I love playing with the phase! :wheee:

Hmmm, I still want to add more tutorials, but I haven't even started a song of my own, yet. Hmmmm.... but I really gotta give you guys a few more tutorials quickly. Not like they'd be utterly needed, but they might provide some more inspiration just in time?! 8)

Yay! That does sound interesting T. Of course, what we need is for the output of LotS to be processed in the same way as the other LotS FX. Of course time is vital to any of this ... I guess phase does a wee bit of time offset(hehe), but even a handful of cycles offset in the buffer process which hands the samples over to the spring frame could yield very interesting sound FX I think (and noval too I suspect). The multitap idea though sounds like it could be fun - done a little research on this and not found anything close to it. Lots of "multiple" spring tanks, but no digital spring tank emulation with multitap! I may be wrong - seems that emulation of true spring reverbs is computationally heavy and difficult!

So, the gauntlet is down now! :borg:

Hope to hear your tune soon :hihi: Remember, NO hidden parameter use allowed :lol:

dB

You know, the vicious thing with any chained springs is how to control their behavior without too much extra computation. That means, you have to figure out the exact ratio of what happens as the vibration goes from one solver to the next and how they affect each other. It's super easy to make them freak out, hahaha, super easy! I've done a ring approach before, which sounded incredibly, but was nearly unmanageable, really. The coil has the one advantage that the last solver does feed back directly into the first. It makes me wish I had a background in math and physics that could have given me more experience already. Now, I'll just have to keep going and growing. I found out a lot of fascinating things already, making a few things inside LotS quite unique, I'm pretty sure. Most may not understand how sensitive and protective the processes already are in there, despite occasional snaps and screams, hahaha. Alone a semi-even distribution of volume across the frequency spectrum has not been an easy thing for me, but then letting them all interact with each other, phewww....it's wild.
So, yeah, I'm learning a lot and am having a blast doing so, that's for sure.
Oh, the update also has a new bank (Default ORG - organ examples) and a new preset (PAD choir) in there as well. The upcoming Tutorial02 will be on how to make organs. LotS is not bad at that at all! 8)

As for the multitap...yep...could be good fun. I can't fully imagine in, yet, but I'm having a bit of a tired day (after all the writing, hahahaha, na, I'm kidding!).

Taron wrote: ... super easy to make them freak out, hahaha, super easy!
Yeah, I think we all have had that happen to us when designing with your baby!
Taron wrote: ... So, yeah, I'm learning a lot and am having a blast doing so, that's for sure.
That's very obvious - also very brave to unleash us on it ... a brave man indeed!
Taron wrote: Oh, the update also has a new bank (Default ORG - organ examples) and a new preset (PAD choir) in there as well. The upcoming Tutorial02 will be on how to make organs. LotS is not bad at that at all! 8)
Again, yay, I did find organs quite OK - there's one bulking out my background most of the time.
Taron wrote: As for the multitap...yep...could be good fun. I can't fully imagine in, yet, but I'm having a bit of a tired day (after all the writing, hahahaha, na, I'm kidding!).
Just so long as you are having fun, that's all good by me. You know, even a basic digital multitap which was setup so each tap was IN and OUT (with levels of course!), and then allowed you to feed back to other taps (excluding the originating tap!), would make a very interesting delay FX unit - again, in keeping with LotS, it could go really WILD -

Cheers, keep up the good work.

dB

PS I did subscribe to the slack channels, but it seems to be very sluggish on my windoze system.
Edit ... slack seems OK tonite - nattering with old adversary Z' :-)

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/lack-of-t ... on-kvr-osc

Lack of technical supervision

Camel. Phat free
Rubberfiler *2
MSED*2
Voxengo oldskool reverb
Iron oxide*2
Air *2
Bite
Busscolors*3
Lowpass
Reverb a internal
Internal EQ
Purestgain
Limiter6
Magneto
Sanford reverb
Multianalyzer

DRM 8
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

https://soundcloud.com/user-975888547/f ... -seclusion

Great synth, my favorite so far in OSC even with all the trouble I had with it.
Sorry I could not produce a stronger track with it.

8 @ Lord of the Springs (all patches from Init)
7 @ ClipOnly
4 @ ReaEQ
2 @ PurestGain, W1 Limiter, Transpire and Stereo Touch
1 @ Nova67p, JS:Master Limiter, Abstract Chamber, Density, A1StereoControl, JS:Major Tom Compressor, Sanford Bass Tightener, JS:3-Band Splitter, GMonoBass, LoudMax64, Tube Saturator Vintage, Lowpass, ReaDelay, JS:Midi Arpeggiator, ReaXcomp and JS:Auto-Wideness
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

https://soundcloud.com/the-five-assed-m ... nterspring

Here is my little weird tune. This synth is very unique, I hope to use it again sometime.. Good luck everybody!

what I used:

Ableton Live 9

18 Instances of Lord of the Springs

Ableton Effects:
Compressors
EQ
Saturator
Auto Pan
Utility
Multiband Dynamics
Reverb
Delays
Limiter
Beat Repeat

Free Effects:
OTT
Dimension Expander

This is my contribution to the One Synth Challenge #100.
Important Note: Please Use Headphones and please DON'T TURN UP VOLUME too loud!

It has been handcrafted with the VST plug-in "Lord of the Springs" as only Synth and features the #Oculus 3D spatialization VST plug-in to move the sounds around in space. Of course a lot of other FX plug-ins have been used apart from those two.
Both the - to some extent - weird (=unusual in a positive way) synth and the spatialization plug-in placed some challenge to sound design and mixing, but I actually love the result pretty much. Hope you can enjoy the ride too.

https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/pete ... n-in-space

@TrojakEW: Excuse me, I AM THE BOSS ;-)

---
] Stuff:used [
Cubase Frequency, Melda MTremolo, Cubase Compressor, Cubase StereoEnhancer, OculusSpatializer, Cubase RoomWorks, Cubase MonoDelay, Cubase EnvelopeShaper, Cubase Distortion, Cuabse Magneto II, Cubase StereoDelay, Cubase MultibandEnvelopeShaper, Cubase MultibandCompressor, Cubase Revelation, Cubase Studio Chorus, GStereo, Cubase Maximizer, Cubase UV22HR. And some 12 instances of LotS...
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

] Peter:H [ wrote:@TrojakEW: Excuse me, I AM THE BOSS ;-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one. I'm glad to see another entry for this synth. Nice track - some sort of movie soundtrack/tension. Like it. But whole time I was waiting for crazy drums entry :P. Well you know I'm drum addict :hihi: .

HA! AWESOME, you've joined after all! Thanks for the Oculus tip! Fantastic, I'll surely play around with that! :hyper: :phones:
Yep, plenty of mean sounds in there... :) :shock: :violin: :o :drunk: :band: :smack: :hyper: ...sort of like all this! :D
Very neat sonic experience, though! I'm kinda giddy about that spatialization plugin...just downloaded it.

Return to “Instruments”