25 Key midi controller - Suggestions needed

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an Akai MPK249 49 Key midi controller. I like it but I'm considering getting something smaller that I can fit and leave on my desk, I'll use the 49 key board as needed. I'm just looking to have something easily accessible and handy for some quick tinkering & exploring.

I'm thinking 25keys should be a nice fit, I use Ableton Live 9, NI Komplete 11, & Arturia analog lab.

The light guide and the integration of the NI Komplete Kontrol 25 looks handy, the only criticism is the lack of pads but I have some on my Akai. The other thing is the fact that it cost $300-$400 dollars :cry:

Another board that looks like it might be a great fit is the Arturia MiniLab MkII 25. Which is only around $100.

All suggestions appreciated.

Novation ReMote 25SL works great for me. Good integration with Live 9 (no automap needed).

Arturia minilab mk 2 has a pretty good keybed
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

A little bit bigger: Roland A300 Pro.

The Arturia Keylab 25 also seems a good option.
dedication to flying

Just found out the minilab mk2 25 doesn't have aftertouch :(

Being that you have a larger Akai keyboard and are familiar with the brand, have you looked at the Akai LPK25 or the Akai MPK Mini MKII? Both are small and have 25 keys, the LPK25 is really small because it does not have knobs and pads like the MPK. Either would probably be great for what it sounds like you are looking to achieve.

Hope This Helps, Good Luck with your search, I am well aware of how complicated purchases can be at times, especially when it comes to audio gear :)

The Akai MPK25! has a nice combination of all neccessary controller in a good range of my hands. Fast Edit possibles for the channels.

Thank you.

I need to break out a measuring tape, the MPK225 might still be a little big for my desk.
I might just need to live without aftertouch on a small board since none of the smaller 25 key boards seem to have it.

I am tempted by an Alesis VI25. The keys have velocity and after touch. It has a 4X4 pad grid which fits nicely with Ableton drum racks and NI's Maschine. It also has 8 rotary knobs which also fits with Ableton instruments and effect racks and the Maschine control knob set up.

It is full size keys where the Arturia MiniLab is mini keys so it may depend on how much space you have, but I've had a quick look at the dimensions and I think it is only about 50% longer and a bit deeper.

When I was in need of a new MIDi controller, I wound up getting a Microbrute. :D

Not as small as some controllers of course, but I still think it was one of my best music purchases in terms of value, and it led me into Eurorack which has been really fun and productive (though much more expensive than my previous gear).

Depending on what you're doing/need, there's also this:

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/qunexus/

Not necessarily a substitute if you need a 'proper' keyboard action etc, but durable and rather versatile...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

miketurn wrote:Being that you have a larger Akai keyboard and are familiar with the brand, have you looked at the Akai LPK25 or the Akai MPK Mini MKII? Both are small and have 25 keys, the LPK25 is really small because it does not have knobs and pads like the MPK. Either would probably be great for what it sounds like you are looking to achieve.

Hope This Helps, Good Luck with your search, I am well aware of how complicated purchases can be at times, especially when it comes to audio gear :)
LPK is great for portability, but I can't stand the velocity response.

I have my eye on the Arutia mini lab 2, also. It packs in a ton of functionality for the size/price, and doesn't skimp on some things that are really important to me :tu:

I just picked up the Arturia Minilab Mk2.... Only just getting started with it but so far I'm impressed. Really well built, great feeling keys and I like the Arturia MIDI Control Center.... Seems to make it very easy to customize almost everything. I was a little bummed at no transport controls until I saw you can pretty easily program the pads for transport and even set the colors

I always recommend the Korg Triton Taktile 25. I don't really use the keybed part (have plenty of other boards) but I know it uses the same bed as the KingKorg. I like the action and as a bonus, you get 512 patches from the original Triton, as well as a x/y pad ,8 sliders and 8 drumpads. It may be old but it is a really good controller. When I bought it, I got the Korg Legacy collection bundled for the same price.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”