Cubase 9 vs Logic X

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, because you used Live and really are interested into layered editing, for sure check Bitwig, as Logic user this is one that is making most sense to me as next step, only downside it's quite overpriced and they are milking it on long run with pay for future updates subscription BS, horrible move for such young company that now finally have something even worth using, but other than that, really great DAW.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:Well, because you used Live and really are interested into layered editing, for sure check Bitwig, as Logic user this is one that is making most sense to me as next step, only downside it's quite overpriced and they are milking it on long run with pay for future updates subscription BS, horrible move for such young company that now finally have something even worth using, but other than that, really great DAW.
I think the OP said he has Live but is looking for something that ISN'T that editing approach. He is looking for a more linear approach typical in orchestration workflows.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

dupont wrote: That's why i switched to Reaper, to go out of the overpriced, overrated mac ecosystem.
And also from Logic poor editing parameter enveloppe, reaper AI is far superior.
The Mac ecosystem is great. Everything just works. If you like to play with computers and focus on the device and want the cheapest cost without counting labor, for sure get a PC. If you want to get to work and pay as little attention to the tool as possible, Mac is imo a better way to go. I work with dozens of people. The peeps with PC laptops always have more troubles and spend more time dealing with various issues. That is why IBM finds it cheaper over 4 years time for their employees to have Macs than PCs.

That does not mean the Mac is the right choice for everyone, but neither is it overrated. Macs are an efficient production machine. My 1 year old MBP has easily paid for itself multiple times over in productivity... with web design, photography, audio, graphic design, video and motion graphics. In the past year of full time work, I have not spent even one hour total in having to futz with the computer. It just works and gets stuff done and that saves me time, hassle and money and easily makes up for the higher cost.

And if something did go wrong, even the battery going bad, it is covered under warranty for 2 more years.

I don't care about computers... they are just tools to fulfill my real interests. I appreciate what Apple provides. Works great for me. As always, each person should decide what works for them.

And Logic is very good software. Not perfect... nothing is... but very competent. Any of the top DAWs today are excellent tools.

edit: decided to delete the post. Don't want this to be a Mac/PC thread.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Zexila wrote:Well, because you used Live and really are interested into layered editing, for sure check Bitwig, as Logic user this is one that is making most sense to me as next step, only downside it's quite overpriced and they are milking it on long run with pay for future updates subscription BS, horrible move for such young company that now finally have something even worth using, but other than that, really great DAW.
I think the OP said he has Live but is looking for something that ISN'T that editing approach. He is looking for a more linear approach typical in orchestration workflows.
Bitwig got that editing approach he needs (layered editing), even better than Cubase and Logic, it's also as linear as Logic and Cubase, no reasons for your complaints really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKk2nxV2gA
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I have no complaint. But, I've seen demonstration of orchestration projects in Bitwig ... no thanks. However, there are a lot of things to like in Bitwig. I don't know that layer editing is better/worse than Cubase. Bitwig looks pretty much like Reapers approach. But again, that wasn't the part I was responding to.

EDIT: but at least we are arguing DAWs ... which is what the OP was after, so seriously no problem/complaint from me.

The way he described things he isn't after anything more than layered editing which Live lacks, other than that I guess you are right, Bitwig isn't probably good choice for orchestral stuff overall, but that only he can decide based on his actual preference.

Zexila wrote: The way he described things he isn't after anything more than layered editing which Live lacks
I was simply going from this in the first post when asking about layered editing
goldenhelix wrote: This is really useful for working out note relationships in orchestrated parts
Before you think I'm down on Bitwig, remember I put a little warning about going to C9. I don't think Bitwig needs a lot to make it a decent host for large track count projects that need multichannel and multitimbral templating. It's certainly possible to use Bitwig and get top notch results. I just think it's still easier to do that kind of stuff in Cubase. Now, scene based stuff ... forget about it.

SJ_Digriz wrote:I just think it's still easier to do that kind of stuff in Cubase.
I do to, Cubase is really top notch for this, it all starts adding up and "small" workflow things here and there become huge and essential, Cubase is the king in this game, hands down.

SJ_Digriz wrote: 'layered editing'
goldenhelix wrote:This is really useful for working out note relationships in orchestrated parts
thing to check in Logic is, if you use more than 1 cc at a time Logic will make you use new windows for each. Unless that has been changed very recently.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”