Kontakt: can I install only a selection of the factory content?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of finally getting Kontakt with their current crossgrade discount.

I don't want most of the factory content, so can I easily install only what I want? On the website I see they organise the library into categories like band, world, choir etc. Can they be installed individually?
That might work, but ideally I'd like to be able to install maybe organs, pianos, drums, but not strings, horns, vocals etc. I want it mainly for the cool 3rd party things out there like the sounddust stuff.

Is that possible, or painful to do? I'm on mac if that factors in. thx :)

You would need to first install the whole factory library, then you can remove stuff you don't want manually.

When I bought Kontakt via Komplete a couple of years back, I only installed Kontakt.

I didn't install any of the factory content, as I mainly want Kontakt for third party libs, and my own usage.

But I believe that if I want to install the Factory Library, I can tick off in the installer which bits of the Factory lib I want, and which I do not want to install.

thanks, somewhat contradictory answers! but it sounds achievable either way...

Using Native Access you can just tick what you want to download from the menu.
If you want to install content on an external HD you go into your user account - top right corner - then under preferences you can choose where to download the content.

OP is asking about kontakt, not komplete. Kontakt factory library is only one entry in the native access, so you either install them all or none. But you could delete them afterwards as EvilDragon said.

It seems like a problem not installing the whole if there's a situation such as was in K4 where the FL was updated (when the Mac version went to x64), I experienced that it balked at missing files.

I've had Kontakt since Kontakt 1, I have two serial numbers for 'Kontakt 1.5' because I got a bad install CD back then. So I can't say if there's some issue with a brand new Kontakt installation, but I'm unsure why E.D. says you must install the whole of it. I don't want to use up HD space for a lot of it I'll never even look at. I have a FL they provided with the demo of K5 and found no real need to hunt down the rest of it subsequently; I have experienced no actual problem with having none of it installed.

You don't HAVE to have the factory library installed, it's an install of its own. But I must say I don't recall of an option to install just segments of it (been a long time - but this is going to be especially true with Native Access, as it provides you with no installer dialogs whatsoever), so in that case, you gotta install it first, then remove stuff you don't want.

Sorry, missed these later replies. I bought it a few days ago. With Native Access there is indeed one single download of Kontakt content (Kontent?). in fact the application plus content seems to be a single entity as far as installing. At some point I'll have a look about deleting the bits I don't want, or offloading them to an external drive.

EvilDragon wrote:You don't HAVE to have the factory library installed, it's an install of its own. But I must say I don't recall of an option to install just segments of it (been a long time - but this is going to be especially true with Native Access, as it provides you with no installer dialogs whatsoever), so in that case, you gotta install it first, then remove stuff you don't want.
First clause there is obvious fact in my experience. The entirety of the Factory Library I have never kept occupying space here.

Yes, from the discs in the box it looks like you simply start it and feed it the next disk until it's done, in for a penny/in for a pound with the library. Now that has been a while for me and my recollection is fuzzed out about can you just put the disc in and locate files to copy and paste to your hard drive.

The only Kontakt I have done thru Native Access was Kontakt Player 5 which comes with a limited Factory Library selection which was not any big deal. Yeah, there's no user choice here beyond Preferences where you can determine location for things.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”