Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Mr D wrote:Hi Andy,

A quick question:

I'm using The Drop to emulate a wah-wah pedal for guitar using an expression pedal, which it seems to do amazingly well.

The only problem is that the expression pedal (which is mapped to LP filter cut-off via a track quick control in Cubase) modulates the filter over too great a range (so from 20 hz to 20k or whatever it is).

What would you suggest as the best way in The Drop to scale this incoming midi data so it only modulates the filter over a more limited range, even though the expression pedal is moving over it's entire range of travel under my foot?!

I already found a sort-of work-around, but am curious as to what you might suggest! :)
There is no midi mapping of controls currently support in The Drop. Most decent DAWs already handle this most common of use cases by allowing you to control any parameter between minimum and maximum bounds.

Any modulation source that has a depth control in the mod section can be used to limit the maximum depth of modulation for that source, so, if your DAW doesn't have the functionality to adjust the minimum and maximum modulation values then your best bet is probably mapping a controller to the TRIG value of one of the envelopes and set the mode to LAG. You then have smoothing control in both the positive and negative direction by using the Attack and Release controls of the envelope.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

News update: The Drop Beta v1.5.3 is out! Make sure to load the plugin in a blank project to make sure it's authorised before loading existing songs.
  • New: minimum phase and intermediate phase modes for oversampling
  • New: global CPU meter
  • New: first AAX build with new filters types KSM, WSP, AMU
  • Fixed: drive led on MS1 circuit
Make sure to click the little (+) sign to show the beta builds:
https://cytomic.com/drop

Hey I just downloaded the demo here...I've been searching for a filter plugin that can kind of get in the ballpark of the Akai AX80's resonance...

This seems capable of pretty aggressive resonance but when I dial it in to self oscillation...is there a way to gate it so it will only trigger on key press? I've RTFM and I'm struggling here.

And can it track?

Thanks!

If you want to use it as a synth back end filter and amp then route midi to the plugin, set ENV2 SOURCE to MIDI, and click on the POST button the mod section and dial up the ENV2 knob to 100%. You can also trigger ENV1 from MIDI, switch ENV1 MODE to TRIG.

If you want to keytrack the filter cutoff from MIDI then enable TRACK next to the GLIDE knob.

andy-cytomic wrote:If you want to use it as a synth back end filter and amp then route midi to the plugin, set ENV2 SOURCE to MIDI, and click on the POST button the mod section and dial up the ENV2 knob to 100%. You can also trigger ENV1 from MIDI, switch ENV1 MODE to TRIG.

If you want to keytrack the filter cutoff from MIDI then enable TRACK next to the GLIDE knob.
Excellent..time to give it a proper go!

Thanks, Andy

add option to hide modulations part! :party:

re23071998 wrote:add option to hide modulations part! :party:
Yep, I hear you! Won't be too much trouble to add an option to hide and disable the modulation with a single button. I can also shrink the user interface to save room and just cover over the centre modulation section to clearly show it is disabled. Would that do the trick?

News update: The Drop v1.5.4 is up. This version fixes a problem with bug with the new oversampling system. Click on the little (+) button in the download section and remember to double check in a new project that the plugin is authorised if you haven't done so in a while:

https://cytomic.com/drop

I updated to version 1.5.2. Any particular reason why the HD models of the filters do not show?

I only have the non HD ones, does this mean that they are all HD now?

On the manual they seem to show. I am on a Mac and Logic.

NNevez wrote:I updated to version 1.5.2. Any particular reason why the HD models of the filters do not show?

I only have the non HD ones, does this mean that they are all HD now?

On the manual they seem to show. I am on a Mac and Logic.
Click the HD button :tu:

Previously not all models had an MD low cpu mode, so I have to split the menu to show only those options available, but it's much neater having an HD button, and you can even enable HD on Render, so when you bounce it automatically switches to HD mode for higher quality.

(edit: I need to update the manual to reflect the current functionality, sorry it's out of date)

re23071998 wrote:add option to hide modulations part! :party:
Yep, a few people have asked for this to make it take up less room and head space for basic automation tasks. How about the following, where you click on the MOD button to both enable and disable all modulation in the plugin and simultaneously resize the gui?

http://cytomic.com/files/thedrop-nomod.jpg

http://cytomic.com/files/thedrop-mod.jpg

not disable. just hide
and just leave the mod controls there too

I'm always thinking that the Previous and Next Preset arrows should be on the Right Hand Side of the Dropdown Box instead of the Left Hand Side. Physically, it would be easier for me to use.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

sqigls wrote:not disable. just hide
and just leave the mod controls there too
The use case is for an easy version, where these is no modulation so you can do basic automation tasks. Keeping all the modulation knobs there and active but there are no visible modulation sources would make things harder to understand, not easier!

Aloysius wrote:I'm always thinking that the Previous and Next Preset arrows should be on the Right Hand Side of the Dropdown Box instead of the Left Hand Side. Physically, it would be easier for me to use.
The next / prev buttons in the preset selector are next to the A/B buttons by design so you can quickly switch through presets as well as then switch to the second bank and continue switching to find something that best fits. The oversampling options are next to the cpu meter by design as well, since it's a quality vs cpu tradeoff being made.

Return to “Effects”