Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Codestation wrote:An old BOSS GT3.
It has a nasal, horrible distortion that cannot be smoothed out or repaired. It also has a nasty resonant "cab filter" output. And an awful harsh digital EQ you can use to "enhance" the screeching, brain-cell-slaughtering, merciless irritation that is its signature distortion sound.

WHY?
It gives everything an amateur, hopeless sound of burgeoning wannabe.
Cheat! Some of us have to work with our own ineptitude! :clown:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Everglide wrote:Quadrafuzz you say... 2 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEqawRxGac
He actually said Quadrafuzz II:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmSb5a_8ELw

I am not the biggest fan.

(Vertigo VSM-3 for me.)
- WonderEcho -

From Craig Anderton 2010 on Gearslutz:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... afuzz.html

You can still find a "legacy" version of the Quadrafuzz in various versions of Cubase, and it still loads in the latest version. For example, if you have Cubase SX sitting around, I'm pretty sure the dll is on there and you can just drag it into your VSTplugsin folder. It only works in Cubase, though.

The biggest strength of the Quadrafuzz - and its biggest weakness - was that there were so many possibilities with the interaction of the controls that you could generate really great or really sucky sounds. This was particularly true of the hardware unit; if you just spun the knobs, odds were that the resulting sound wound not be useful. Several users would get the hardware Quadrafuzz, and once they found a setting they liked, just leave it there. Some people even bought multiple Quadrafuzzes and set each one up as a preset device

Over the years I've gotten lots of correspondance from QFuzz users. One mastering engineer in Sweden uses it as his "secret weapon" when mastering dance music, he crunches the kick slightly and boosts other frequency ranges without distortion. The tip about following it with amp modeling software is of course a good one - few virtual fuzzes sound good without response tailoring. The hardware QFuzz had a primitive speaker emulator, a lowpass multi-pole filter with a ganged pot to control cutoff. The "secret" behind why that aspect sounded good was that I deliberately designed the filter to have as many "problems" as possible - passband ripple, phase issues, etc. That helped it sound like a "cabinet" back in the analog days, before digital modeling.

The closest software equivalent to the QFuzz these says is iZotope's Trash. In fact before releasing the plug-in, they called and said they were basically stealing my idea, and was that okay? I thought that was really classy and took it as a compliment so of course, I said sure, go ahead. Legally, the QFuzz concept is officially "dedicated to the public" so they had no legal or ethical reason to ask my permission, but they did it anyway. Same with Steinberg: Actually there's quite a story behind how the hardware unit turned into a plug-in, but maybe another time...in any event they paid me a royalty for each individual QFuzz plug-in (not the bundled ones) they sold, even though I told them they had no ethical or legal obligation to do so. They didn't feel right about using it without compensation...another company with a conscience.

For hardware, the Source Audio multiwave distortion boxes come the closest, and they're pretty cool in their own right anyway.
- WonderEcho -

kudos to both iZotope and Steinberg. great repost

Everglide wrote:
So devs, why not make an adjustable multiband saturation plugin that fils the gap in the market?
You mean like Melda's range of multiband distortions

https://www.meldaproduction.com/guides/distortions

The best thing about the crossover bands are they are not only adjustable but can be reconfigured to split and effect spectral content and transients in a similar manner to that new overpriced Eventide Fission.

Eg the crossovers can be changed from effecting different frequencies to effecting different dB, Panorama, mid/side, transients.

This is built into all Meldas multiband plugins so when you start to mix and match various plugins with different multiband crossover schemes things get nuts :party:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Permut8;

Trash 2;

Supercharger GT;

Saturn;

MBitFun.

Did anyone mention BCA Destructor ?
It's not multiband, but with the pre and post eq, it suits nearly all my needs...

Code Red (Shattered Glass Audio)
SGA1566 MkII (Shattered Glass Audio)
TB ReelBus (ToneBoosters)
Krush (Tritik)
Lindell 6X-500 (Lindell)

Saturn by fabfilter (multiband, excellent algorithms, modulation, m/s) and Ohmicide by Ohm Force (multiband, many many many crazy algorithms). Sometimes I also use Guitarrig because I can chain hq effects together and design the sound.

Saturation:

Vertigo VSM-3: Good for that subtle sheen(in moderation), good on the 2-buss.
Kush Audio Omega A: Very in your face sound, have to watch your levels when feeding this one. Great on electric guitar. Haven't demoed the 458A yet.
Soundtoys Decapitator: Works well on single instruments.
Lindell 6X-500 CM: Yeah, actually the magware version - don't use the EQ actually. My no.1 go-to for bass guitar. I do own their 254E and TE-100 though which are great in their own right.

Distortion:

A bunch of guitar/bass pedals through a re-amp, some el-cheapo, some diy - just finished my FET booster today. They live on the top of my rack, makes mixing fun, just running out of space...

Steinberg's Quadrafuzz v2

1. Sounds great
2. Multiband
3. flexible
4. great for both mixing and sound design
5. cpu friendly
6. loads instantaneously
7. Integrated with Cubase

I have SPL TwinTube now, buss what is going to be my new favourite saturation plugin for the month!!

simon.a.billington wrote:I have SPL TwinTube now, buss what is going to be my new favourite saturation plugin for the month!!
Twin Tube is cool. I have it as well... I wonder will they do a new version of it, like they did with the EQs and thier Transient Shaper.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:I have SPL TwinTube now, buss what is going to be my new favourite saturation plugin for the month!!
Twin Tube is cool. I have it as well... I wonder will they do a new version of it, like they did with the EQs and thier Transient Shaper.
Interesting thought. Just don't know what they should add to it. A mix knob?? An Alternate algorithm?? Although I have no suggestion for that.

simon.a.billington wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
Interesting thought. Just don't know what they should add to it. A mix knob?? An Alternate algorithm?? Although I have no suggestion for that.
It's a pretty simple plugin so I guess it doesn't need any new functions per se. But they might improve or add another distortion type (which would always be nice).

But as it stands now it's a great plugin.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Effects”