Samplitude Pro X3 or Presonus Studio One v3 for MIDI?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have been using Samplitude Pro X for the past few years, mainly for scoring (MIDI sequencing) using VST instruments. Samplitude has been rock solid to my experience. I know their current version is Pro x3 and my question; is the upgrade worth in terms of what I do?

A friend of mine talked many good things about Presonus Studio One v3 specially for MIDI sequencing, and it looks like the Samplitude Pro X3 upgrade & Studio One v3 crossgrade, cost the same. What do you guys think about Studio One v3?

Thanks.

Hc.

Samplitude Pro X3 is - by far - the best. No doubt here.

I would download the demo for studio one 3 to see if you like it. I don't know much about samp.

Moving towards external midi gear - I dropped StudioOne. It was such a short visit on ProX2 I don't remember.

S1 was a bit complicated setup and a range of bugs as well - like unless having monitoring of midi on, it did not record controllers, just notes. Nothing you notice using VST instruments though.

So you could not just simply arm for record and do it, you had to set up for a destination as well as having monitoring on. But this was 2.x days, may have changed.

Samplitude.
Studio one is cool, but I think it still lacks many features compared to the older DAWs.

If you are really about working with MIDI mainly, I'd say neither of them. In Windows, the DAW that better with MIDI is Cubase, by far.

But exclusively between Studio One and Samplitude, I also agree that, for MIDI, Samplitude is better.
Fernando (FMR)

I upgraded from Samp 11 Pro to X3 and it was a significant step in many ways.

In your specific case it`s really hard to say,
I guess you`ll have better advice on Magix forum from long term users
knowing each and every version and their (dis-) advantage ?

I also see Kraznet sometimes present here,
supposed to know the nuances per release and may chime in.
Or he is open to reply to pm`s ?
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

kraznet seems to be the only source for SAM tutorials. it is hard to find anyone similar. samplitude is a really deep program, one that needs an investment of time to unlock it's undoubted power. but, i use S1 because it is really fast for my own work flow. i have never been a particular fan of the midi in SAM, but that's probably because i am not using it to it's full potential. that being said i find it fiddly. i think having drag and drop vsti, bounce in place, transform audio etc. in S1 is fine for my uses.

I demoed Studio One for a month. Try that. Personally I didn't love it, wouldn't buy it, because dealing with controller lanes was significantly more trouble than what I'm used to for > a decade (Cubase).

inkwarp wrote:kraznet seems to be the only source for SAM tutorials. it is hard to find anyone similar. samplitude is a really deep program, one that needs an investment of time to unlock it's undoubted power. but, i use S1 because it is really fast for my own work flow. i have never been a particular fan of the midi in SAM, but that's probably because i am not using it to it's full potential. that being said i find it fiddly. i think having drag and drop vsti, bounce in place, transform audio etc. in S1 is fine for my uses.
I've been friends with Tim on fb for years he posted this a day or two ago for more support,,,support portal

http://samplitude.timdolbear.com/
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

You can download a 30-day demo of Samplitude Pro X3 from the Magix website so as to form your own opinion. Also, in case you decide to install the demos of both programs, be sure to compare the audio quality of the two, especially when it comes to exporting audio.

I hear Samp's ones are better but not its zeroes

but the best sounding integers are in SAW STUDIO
come on

let's not start
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Samp Pro X3 is a monster - OK, a different angle & what I think about: Magix fairly recently (well: about a year ago) acquired several softs from Sony's Professional catalog (which date back to the days of Sonic Foundry's dominance) - my feeling is that Magix doing that has consequentially given themselves a collective shot-in-their-arms - & I couldn't be happier about that, chanjay.

Look at the recent news: 'Magix updates Vegas Pro to v14.0 build 270' (many-years-around beautiful legacy SF product)

So: how does this directly impact the latest version of Samplitude Pro?

How about this: If you are able to swing the purchase of the Pro X3 Suite: among other things, you'll get a full copy of Sound Forge Pro 11 - a tool that I've personally used for years for various audio tasks. BTW: SpectraLayers 4 Pro has become a reasonably-priced optional add-on for SFP11 - I've bought & enjoyed what you can do with this very interesting tool in conjunction w/SFP.

Samplitude Pro X3 Suite and Studio One 3 Professional are two of the three DAWs that I primarily use in my home studio.

Both DAWs are fully capable of MIDI-based productions. Therefore, the decision of which DAW to use going forward is truly a matter of workflow preference, IMHO. My best advice is to try to the Samplitude Pro X3 and Studio One 3 demos in order to make a proper decision based on your production needs.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”